IGNORED

Our season

Robin Wood

Our first choice midfield (had it not been for injuries) could well have been Weimann, Walsh and Williams. Instead it became Weimann, Pato and Bakinson and now it has to change again. Sorting out midfield is an ongoing problem that is down to injuries, not Holdens formation or tactics. 

8 games played, 2 draws, 4 games decided by a one goal margin (2 wins, 2 defeats) and 2 x 2 goal wins just shows how close a league it is. Considering ongoing injuries it’s not a bad return and still above many of our pre-season expectations.

10 hours ago, David Brent said:

Did you expect us to win the league after we had won the first 4?

I’m just wondering why you are reacting so to 4 games now.

I think we are a mid table team at best to be honest things are no different to the last managers tenure if we survive this season that will be good enough 

There are at least a dozen teams as good if not better than us, we live in hope, the most important thing is that we live...the rest is just gravy.

Survive to fight another day, thats it...the end.

What is a bit concerning is we seem to have flogged off all the prize assets and have no obvious replacements on the conveyor belt. 

Bakinson might develop into a player worth decent money eventually. After the multiple big fees I honestly can't see we have much left that would raise money. 

It looks like the fees are going on wages and keeping us afloat while there are no gate revenues. I don't think our recruitment looks too rosy in terms of finding future stars to replace those who have been sold. 

13 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

I think we are a mid table team at best to be honest things are no different to the last managers tenure if we survive this season that will be good enough 

Being a bog standard mid table team could arguably be acceptable if this is a transition season in which Walsh, Bakinson, Moore, Vyner and Semenyo all get to speed with the Championship, hone their craft and come back twice the player next season.

(However, if that's the case, and the limits of our ambition, Massengo should be at least on the bench all season too).

17 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Not at best, but If we're honest with ourselves I think we know we're very unlikely to be a top 6 team.

I'm content if we remain in the Championship comfortably, (certainly without ever fearing relegation) improve the quality of our football, integrate players like Walsh and Williams into a more exciting team, players like Moore and Bakinson genuinely establish themselves at this level over the season, we are entertained, compete fiercely in every game, and I enjoy the season following Bristol City.

Getting to the play offs really isn't the be all and end all - if it happens with all the above, so much the better.

Archived