IGNORED

Shall we all just calm down?

OneTeamInBristol

Some of the comments after these last 3 games are a bit silly in my opinion.

I've seen Holden out, Ashton out and Lansdown all being questioned.

We're sat in 6th after 8 games, with 14 points out of 24. Most of us would have taken that before a ball was kicked (I would have), especially with Holden being an unknown to the role.

Some of our young fringe players have improved and broken into the starting XI - Bakinson and Semenyo.

We've made some very shrewd signings - Martin and Brunt.

Yes we've let some talented players leave, Eliasson and Palmer, but I'm sure there's enough quality in what we have left to replace them. Also we can get Kasey back in January. 

I don't think we can judge Holden fairly until the 46th game is finished.

Anyway there are 38 games left to play and 114 points still up for grabs and with Reading currently looking like the only runaway side (how?!), I see no reason why we can't finish in that top 6 come the 8th of May!

COYR 

Completely agree with your assessment apart one one aspect - the signing of Chris Brunt. 

Haven't seen enough thus far to justify his signing given the depth that we have/had in the same position. He of course needs more time before being written off, but can't hide the feeling that we've gone down a similar road to the one we took when we signed Gary O'Neil.

23 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

We're sat in 6th after 8 games, with 14 points out of 24. Most of us would have taken that before a ball was kicked (I would have), especially with Holden being an unknown to the role.

Some of our young fringe players have improved and broken into the starting XI - Bakinson and Semenyo.

Yes we've let some talented players leave, Eliasson and Palmer, but I'm sure there's enough quality in what we have left to replace them. Also we can get Kasey back in January. 

Anyway there are 38 games left to play and 114 points still up for grabs and with Reading currently looking like the only runaway side (how?!), I see no reason why we can't finish in that top 6 come the 8th of May!

COYR 

Absolutely spot on. One defeat by one goal at a team that were in the Pl last season and we see posts of outrage aimed at Deano, Ashton, SL et el.............:cool2:

Typical otib................:dunno:

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely spot on. One defeat by one goal at a team that were in the Pl last season and we see posts of outrage aimed at Deano, Ashton, SL et el.............:cool2:

Typical otib................:dunno:

It's the three games without a goal from open play that concerns people more than a loss away to Bournemouth.

And that's with all our forwards available. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's the three games without a goal from open play that concerns people more than a loss away to Bournemouth.

We've scored more goals than 19 other sides in the division.

We didn't score against a 'boro side who've conceded 5 goals in 8 games.

We didn't score against a Bournemouth side we've conceded 6 goals in 8 games.

We didn't score from open play against a Swansea side who've also only conceded 5 goals in 8 games.

Perhaps we've just played (as it would currently appear) three of the best defensive sides in the league?

Too early to panic.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That’s largely down to lack of midfield creativity. Deano has yet to find the most effective midfield balance. That said it’s still very early in the season with players unavailable thru injury.

Theres a looong way to go yet!

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Exactly. 

We've seen this far too many times in the past few seasons. That is why our fan base seem to get fed up with it extremely quickly. 

Holden was always going to have a tough time if we went on any sort of streak considering he's been part of them previously.

What I really hope he doesn't do, is rip it all up and start again. Persevere with the system & work on improving it. 

We still haven't had a bad start to the season. Last night we were beaten by a better side. We drew against a strong Swansea side and it will always be tough to win at Oakwell for us, for some reason.
Performances are concerning as are the injuries and we will be mid table this season, thats just the honest truth really given the injuries we have and lack of quality in midfield. That's better than I expected when we first appointed Holden and I support the guy

45 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

COYR 

I think reserving judgment until the new year is fair. If we’re still in with a shout then I’ll feel a lot more comfortable. The start was amazing there’s no doubt and losing away at Bournemouth is no disgrace whatsoever, the value of player they have on the pitch compared to us means any result wouldve been very good.  But we haven’t been playing well these last few games, we seem to be very reactive again and it’s becoming a slight worry - the lack of goals especially.  But let’s see where we’re at come the new year. 

6 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

We didn't score from open play against a Swansea side who've also only conceded 5 goals in 8 games.

Perhaps we've just played (as it would currently appear) three of the best defensive sides in the league?

Too early to panic.

I think the disappointment against Bournemouth was that we seemed to settle for a point and invited pressure onto us. A very daft move in this division.

Johnson Sr managed to get away with it numerous times, but I think the second tier standard has improved dramatically since his days. 

34 minutes ago, terpin said:

Completely agree with your assessment apart one one aspect - the signing of Chris Brunt. 

Haven't seen enough thus far to justify his signing given the depth that we have/had in the same position. He of course needs more time before being written off, but can't hide the feeling that we've gone down a similar road to the one we took when we signed Gary O'Neil.

I hope so!, Gary O Neil was absolutely quality until he got injured. Chris Brunt imo is a very good signing, and just what a team like ours needed. Experience and real quality on the ball. He hasn’t played a lot of football yet, but I am very confident that when he gets up and running we will all see just how good he is. 

23 minutes ago, Meh said:

Provided we don’t end up becoming streaky again then I am breezy.

But 12 points in 4 games and then 2 in 4 games is very inconsistent bordering on streaky !?! ?

No, that's a faulty switch.

One minute we are on, then there is a flicker.
The lift engineer is no longer available to fix it, so Deano needs to just get the hammer out.

Whichever  way you look at it two points from twelve is relegation form. Fourteen points from twenty four is a lot better but not promotion form.. I hope I am proved wrong but I thought LJ was a poor appointment as he had achieved nothing on his CV and then we got rid of him to get to the next level and appoint the guy who assisted him for four years  who has no achievements on his CV either. Not a good plan sadly however nice a man he is. Our record of managers is to say the least not a run of impressive appointments.  Two more games without a win ( hope not of course ) and we have at the most sixteen points from thirty That is comfortable mid table form but hey - we were told we got rid of LJ to appoint a man to take us to at least the play offs - dream on - tis not going to happen !

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

COYR 

Perhaps Reading made an inspired managerial appointment only time will tell 

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

And had 4 great chances we should have scored and forced one amazing save last night. Not bad at all against a side that have not conceded many this season.

4 great chances that we “should” have scored?

Kalas’ header? Bakinson’s shot? Are they two of them, then? What more could they have done? One was headed off the line, the other a decent save.

You could probably argue Semenyo early on & Fam might have done better, though personally as the second of these was deflected wide, I’m not so sure.

What were these 4?

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Perhaps we have, but my concern is that we are yet again messing with the core of a team and starting a selection lottery.

Obviously I don't know the fitness of the squad but rotating Wells and Martin so soon into the season is worrying - especially if we are playing good defences.

Fam has great qualities, we all know that, but Fam and AS are not an established or successful partnership. I worry he is trying to keep everyone happy. Wolves do not and did not do this - they found a formation and used the best players.

It is too soon to worry but there are signs we aren't learning very fast.

And the comment of "we always struggle at Barnsley" is exactly why we needed a new head coach - there are too many teams who never struggle there - and are successful.

November is the key month to create some consistency and settle a new defence.

3 minutes ago, longyears said:

Whichever  way you look at it two points from twelve is relegation form. Fourteen points from twenty four is a lot better but not promotion form.. I hope I am proved wrong but I thought LJ was a poor appointment as he had achieved nothing on his CV and then we got rid of him to get to the next level and appoint the guy who assisted him for four years  who has no achievements on his CV either. Not a good plan sadly however nice a man he is. Our record of managers is to say the least not a run of impressive appointments.  Two more games without a win ( hope not of course ) and we have at the most sixteen points from thirty That is comfortable mid table form but hey - we were told we got rid of LJ to appoint a man to take us to at least the play offs - dream on - tis not going to happen !

As others have said too early to judge, let's see how things are going in January. DH hasn't had much luck with injuries yet we've got the same number of points as at this stage last year and we thought that was a good start. Also we started with some easier fixtures and now we've got some hard ones so not surprising that wins are harder to come by, when we've played all the other teams once we should know what we've got.

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

COYR 

It's not representative of this forum. It's mostly just one silly thread. No need to invent a problem that doesn't exist. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

You think this is bad, imagine if we hadn't won those first 4 games!

Yes, this worries me (not the points from the wins, we need them!)  If, say, last season the championship had ended the same way as the rest of the EFL, we would have finished 7th, and LJ would not have been sacked.  So we then "go again" for this season with LJ as manager and find ourselves with exactly the same results in the same sequence, 4 straight wins and then 2 points from 4 games.  Nobody would have been surprised if this had been under "streaky Lee".  We would then expect a fantastic run of results up to the Christmas period, when we would be in the top 3, before it all goes pear shaped once again, a play off push petering out in the last few games.

It is really, really early days, but I have an ever so slight worry that Dean has inherited something from his old boss.  The inability to turn around those regular losing/winless streaks did for LJ.  Let's just hope that Dean nips this in the bud asap.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Too early to panic.

The whole Championship is unusually low scoring (overall) at the mo’ also.

2.10 gpg this season versus 2.64 gpg last season.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

And had 4 great chances we should have scored and forced one amazing save last night. Not bad at all against a side that have not conceded many this season.

Agree, although For me the great chances were Semenyo, Diedhiou shot and header from corner.  Bakinson’s was a snapshot, Kalas’s a good header.  We needed to take one of those great chances...imho we should’ve.

1 hour ago, longyears said:

It’s certainly playoff form though....1.75 PPG x 46 = 80.5 pts.

So you’re happy to take a 4 game winless run but give little recognition of 4 wins on the spin?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

4 great chances that we “should” have scored?

Kalas’ header? Bakinson’s shot? Are they two of them, then? What more could they have done? One was headed off the line, the other a decent save.

You could probably argue Semenyo early on & Fam might have done better, though personally as the second of these was deflected wide, I’m not so sure.

What were these 4?

You forgot Fam’s header from a corner in the first half.

2 hours ago, terpin said:

Brunt was a very good signing. Your looking at it a bit black and white . Our entire central midfield is very inexperienced (except williams) at championship level. What he’ll bring to those players will be invaluable , that will be mostly seen on the training ground and giving advice . Last night didn’t pay off and possibly the wrong sub in the circumstances , but he’ll help see out a number of games this season. Don’t forget . He didn’t have a preseason so isn’t fully fit yet either. 

Completely agree.

There is a difference between micro and macro. They can each influence each other but are seldom in unison.

I thought Bournemouth didn’t look bothered by us at all last night. When they wanted to in the first half, they quickly sprung tirades and Vyner Kalas and Moore had to stand firm.

They had a talking to at half time and simply moved through the gears, leaving us scratching our heads a little. 

That’s Micro. On a macro level, it doesn’t mean ‘anyone’ out and is just something we can asses once we have a good sample size.

Archived