IGNORED

Ye Olde Football Video

Davefevs

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

19th December 1970.

3 days after the League Cup semi final 1st leg v. Spurs, my first strong memory of City and Ashton Gate, in front of just over 30k.

And a month later Gerry Sharpe’s career was ended when Eric McMordie broke his leg in front of the Dolman, you could hear the crack in the East End.?

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

19th December 1970.

3 days after the League Cup semi final 1st leg v. Spurs, my first strong memory of City and Ashton Gate, in front of just over 30k.

This was the year I started going, I remember the first game of the season Vs Sunderland as it was the first I went with mates, and the Cardiff game next up. But no others I went to this year. I remember asking if I could go to the Semi final but I think the home game was midweek/school night and there was no way I'd be allowed to travel away on my own . Wish I'd kept notes, programmes or something.

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This was the year I started going, I remember the first game of the season Vs Sunderland as it was the first I went with mates, and the Cardiff game next up. But no others I went to this year. I remember asking if I could go to the Semi final but I think the home game was midweek/school night and there was no way I'd be allowed to travel away on my own . Wish I'd kept notes, programmes or something.

The home leg was certainly a school night, hence I went down with several mates, aged 12.

No parents, no adults, no older brothers, no chaperones, we just arranged to go that day, met up outside the EE, went through the turnstiles, edged up the crowded entrance slope, and bang, there it was.

I've written at length on here about the magic of that floodlit night, the view across to the middle of the the EE as we first looked across from the top of that entry slope (which was as far as we could get as the crowd was so packed) and the impact it had on me. 

No doubt these days kids enter the ground and marvel at the sight of the mammoth Lansdown Stand, (if they're not sat 'behaving themselves' with parents at the top of it isolated away from the action) for me it was all about the atmosphere and especially the fans. The sight, sounds, and smells of the EE - a boisterous, chanting, swearing, seething mass in the middle on the verge of anarchy, pure unadulterated excitement in an uninhibited world far removed from anything I had experienced before.

I couldn't wait to get back. Not at all sure if I'd get hooked on City if I went down for the first time as a 12 year old now - probably refused entry anyway unless with an adult - such a different, sanitised, sedentary and scrutinised experience, but it's the abiding memory of truly magical nights like that Spurs semi final which keep me plodding down to AG 50 years later.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The home leg was certainly a school night, hence I went down with several mates, aged 12.

No parents, no adults, no older brothers, no chaperones, we just arranged to go that day, met up outside the EE, went through the turnstiles, edged up the crowded entrance slope, and bang, there it was.

I've written at length on here about the magic of that floodlit night, the view across to the middle of the the EE as we first looked across from the top of that entry slope (which was as far as we could get as the crowd was so packed) and the impact it had on me. 

No doubt these days kids enter the ground and marvel at the sight of the mammoth Lansdown Stand, (if they're not sat 'behaving themselves' with parents at the top of it isolated away from the action) for me it was all about the atmosphere and especially the fans. The sight, sounds, and smells of the EE - a boisterous, chanting, swearing, seething mass in the middle on the verge of anarchy, pure unadulterated excitement in an uninhibited world far removed from anything I had experienced before.

I couldn't wait to get back. Not at all sure if I'd get hooked on City if I went down for the first time as a 12 year old now - probably refused entry anyway unless with an adult - such a different, sanitised, sedentary and scrutinised experience, but it's the abiding memory of truly magical nights like that Spurs semi final which keep me plodding down to AG 50 years later.

Certainly is a different animal now. That Sunderland game , my first, was mental. Loads of trouble and we plotted up just to the left of the main part of the East End, we ended up standing in the same place for years. I could barely see and missed most of the goals, but although I was hooked before, that game sealed it.  While I still love going to live games, I wonder if the appeal is lessened by the cinema/theatre feel to it now.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Certainly is a different animal now. That Sunderland game , my first, was mental. Loads of trouble and we plotted up just to the left of the main part of the East End, we ended up standing in the same place for years. I could barely see and missed most of the goals, but although I was hooked before, that game sealed it.  While I still love going to live games, I wonder if the appeal is lessened by the cinema/theatre feel to it now.

By about %90 for me 

And I think to a large degree for a lot of supporters of our age group, the younger you are the less you will understand the difference , if at all

The atmosphere, the smells , the noise ,the singing , the whole experience was totally different and what made up a massive part of the experience and enjoyment for me

If I’m honest , these days , Other than a view of the whole pitch enabling me to see the whole game from an interest point of view I find it little different , save the odd and very rare game , to watching on tv

However , it’s what , or appears to be what the new ‘customer’ / supporter wants and will become even more sterile in time.

Genuinely wish some could time travel back and experience , packed on an away terrace or a night game at the Gate in the 70’s

One of the best things I ever did was to make sure I went to a number of grounds and stood in the main home end and experienced the atmospheres before all seating took hold

Holte End , North Bank , The Kop etc 

Fantastic experiences

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Skirton scored on the turn and Gilzean equalised. What a game

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I well remember the floodlights flashing off Gilzean's bald head as he glanced the ball into the City net.

No Stadium ‘safety’ lighting then Nogs

Just the floodlights , and as they wern’t as efficient as the modern pitch lighting they absolutely played a massive part in atmosphere of night games

Wonderful 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Bovril....that is all.

???

Still can taste it just thinking about it.

Spookily I was just thinking about the smells, cigar smoke , beer , and ......fried onions !

Seems ridiculous but really the only time you got to smell Hot Dogs being prepared or burgers being cooked was at the fair , or football

Particularly as a kid the senses were on firer with the whole experience  

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

No Stadium ‘safety’ lighting then Nogs

Just the floodlights , and as they wern’t as efficient as the modern pitch lighting they absolutely played a massive part in atmosphere of night games

Wonderful 

Agreed Shelts, not the same these days at all.

It really annoys me when the club goes on about the 'special atmosphere of Ashton Gate under the lights'.

It really was special - but they've completely ruined it by leaving the lights on in the stands.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bovril....that is all.

???

I can still remember where I was when I drank it last, a cold afternoon in Preston and they had no other food !

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've been watching a lot of football from 1970/71...all the pitches seem a mud bath. Did it rain a lot that year? 

Don't think they invented drainage until the mid 80's

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bovril....that is all.

???

Used to get it every week in the Winter. Never had it at home though!

Massive Wagon Wheels in that little hut near the bogs in the EE too.

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Spookily I was just thinking about the smells, cigar smoke , beer , and ......fried onions !

Seems ridiculous but really the only time you got to smell Hot Dogs being prepared or burgers being cooked was at the fair , or football

Particularly as a kid the senses were on firer with the whole experience  

Onions was the other smell.....and of course pi$$ and the steam that came off it.  I used to stand in away end with my dad and bruv....and the closer you stood the fencing at the front, the more urine had trickled  down!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed Shelts, not the same these days at all.

It really annoys me when the club goes on about the 'special atmosphere of Ashton Gate under the lights'.

It really was special - but they've completely ruined it by leaving the lights on in the stands.

The lights really do kill it don’t they?

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I can still remember where I was when I drank it last, a cold afternoon in Preston and they had no other food !

Don't think they invented drainage until the mid 80's

My last Bovril was Whaddon Rd, Cheltenham v Orient (I Think)....Cotts was manager.

Great night against Spurs, lovely glancing header from Gilzean at the EE right in front of us. My mates and I couldn't get to many Saturday matches as involved in amateur football but when we did go our spot was right behind the goal. Football club had a coach to Fulham from the Rising Sun for the previous round. Not a great game at 0-0 but good result for us. However great night after in a pub in Hammersmith, owned I believe by Mancini the boxer. Mostly A4 not M4 on the way, with the back of the cqach swaying out on the bends cos the driver had had a few. Great memories

Archived