IGNORED

It’s official - we are the 35th biggest club in the land

boadle

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

6th biggest city, 35th biggest club. Therein lies the statistics of all our heartaches.

If only it was that simple.
How many clubs are in the 5 biggest cities?
Does each club 'deserve' to be rated per their parent city size?

Bristol, as a city, has not had the benefit of a sustained history in the top tier of football.
This leads to a lack of collective awareness by Bristol's own population.
This in turn, leads to the rest of the country just not being aware that Bristol has football teams.
Which could lead to awareness issues with players/agents/etc. and attracting the right talent.

Personally, I think SL is playing a long game of raising awareness of Bristol City.
Things aren't happening as quickly as I'd like them too (the fan in me speaking), but my head tells me in the long term, we are going places.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am not a fan of QPR ( quite the opposite)  and you are right , they just missed out in 75/76 ending up as runners up . Must have been our old badger wig wearing  , Gerry Francis and top model Holloway( if your model was a bag of wasps) .

:shocking:

Still more than we have managed in our history.

Badger 

5DB5796A-6953-4DF4-A067-E04792AD7A16.jpeg

"Runners up" in the 1st division "still more than we have managed in our history."

Is that right?

Answer? No, that's wrong. You're having a bit of Weston with this one.

They've won the League cup, though. That's more than we have managed in our history. But then so have Swindon, Swansea, Luton and Oxford.

QPR have had one great period in which they finished runners up in all of English league football (same as we did in 1907) and runners up in the FA cup final (same as we did in 1909), and they also picked up a League cup win in the infancy of the competition before all the big clubs took it seriously and at a time when those big clubs did not always enter the competition  (same as when Swidnon won it two years later). They also reached another league cup final, and were runners up.

In all this time, their attendances were tin pot. Comical.

So, to sum up: QPR have "managed" a bit more than us in the league cup, and 14 more seasons of top flight football, whilst attracting the sort of crowds we get now (they haven't averaged as many as we did last season since 1977). 

Their success coincided with the advent of televised football, and being situated just a Gerry Francis hoof from television centre, they were nicely located and - arguably - rode the coattails of all the razz and matazz of being in West London and where things were happening.

Once that all wore off, they have once more become irrelevant tinpot shite (same as us!) Their days in the sun are over.

Many a L1 club capable of pulling 10k or more will fancy themselves almost on a par with Tin Pot Rangers now.

Archived