IGNORED

Nobby Stiles RIP

Super

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Remember seeing Nobby close up playing for Middlesbrough at AG, early 70's.

Still a great competitor at that time, and an England hero forever of course.

RIP Nobby.

I have the exact same memory, Nogbad - seeing him up close preparing for an incoming corner kick. I remember thinking how old he was at that point... must have been around 30!

Got to meet Nobby for a couple of hours when he came to sign autographs for his autobiography in gosh around 2004/05 ish?

Lovely guy, I asked him about the rumours that he'd have played for Ireland if England didn't want him. Said he wanted to test himself against the best and it would have been an honour to play for anyone who wanted him! He said Alan Ball was the best player in the 66' final as he was the organiser and ran his heart out and that hardest part of marking Eusebio in the semi was trying to get near enough to kick him. Nice gentleman.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not many World Cup winners left now these days. Banks, Moore, Ball, Stiles, Wilson, Peters, Jackie Charlton have all left this mortal coil.

Only Bobby Charlton, Cohen, Hunt and Hurst remaining.

Jimmy Greaves too

15 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

RIP Nobby. One of those immortals that won us the World cup in 66. It was such a privilege watching those games on TV. Wonderful memories. 

Yes another great gone, I was sat in an Ostende Cafe watching the final. got blotto after and couldn't believe they had done it. Great days then for England, which unfortunately I don't think I will see again in my lifetime. Shame!

Archived