IGNORED

Nahki Wells - crap signing.

Bassomylord

33 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

If we had a creative midfield like Norwich did today maybe just maybe we might see the best of Wells

You have a valid point, but he does miss a high percentage of chances, I am hoping it is just a run of poor form, but i am not convinced .  I was really hoping we would sign Vydra instead of Wells, as he would have suited us better.   I just think he is overated, but I am happy to be proved wrong

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You have a valid point, but he does miss a high percentage of chances, I am hoping it is just a run of poor form, but i am not convinced .  I was really hoping we would sign Vydra instead of Wells, as he would have suited us better.   I just think he is overated, but I am happy to be proved wrong

He had 3 good chances including penalty. He even missed chance when Krul pushed out Martins header from about 5 yards albeit offside but he didn’t know that. Not impressed one bit and can forgive him constantly giving ball away if he takes his chances. 

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why is Nahki even taking the penalties?

That is an interesting question.

I must admit I wasn’t aware of this until it was brought up in commentary.

Fam was on them last season (we only got 3) but he missed his last one at Swansea (only one he has missed for us) so in conjunction with the fact he isn’t starting much, I presume we then went to Wells.

No idea if Martin has taken any in his career but he would be a logical next choice, experienced & unlikely to let anything phase him. Brunt would be another candidate if on the pitch at the time, I guess.

I am curious to know which player could be trusted to take our penalties?  A combination of mental strength and technical ability is the ideal combination, I struggle to find someone to nominate?  Wells should never take another penalty, as his effort was just taking the piss,and he has an awful record with pens, which you would have thought DH would be aware of?  Possibly Walsh or Williams when/if they play.  Of the present squad the best i can come up with is Martin.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That is an interesting question.

I must admit I wasn’t aware of this until it was brought up in commentary.

Fam was on them last season (we only got 3) but he missed his last one at Swansea (only one he has missed for us) so in conjunction with the fact he isn’t starting much, I presume we then went to Wells.

No idea if Martin has taken any in his career but he would be a logical next choice, experienced & unlikely to let anything phase him. Brunt would be another candidate if on the pitch at the time, I guess.

Ahhh! Great Minds..............Alike Think.............according to Yoda

Frustrating. He's certainly not crap but he snatched at his chances today. 

The one in the first half typified it really, sublime touch to take him past the defender and then completely mis-hit it. 

Hopefully he never gets near Pens again.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Martin has been a penalty taker in his career. Bit odd we gave it to Wells who has missed so many.

Or Paterson has scored penalties, but not sure how many in his career or what his scoring - missing record is.

Just found Martin’s penalty stats, scored 17 in his career & missed 9, not so great after all. 

Paterson has never taken them, ironically when he was at Huddersfield the penalty taker there was Nakhi Wells..

This thread is totally OTT. Yes, the penalty was an awful attempt and he missed two other very good chances BUT can't fault his effort today, worked the channels, won balls, was clearly trying. Looks more like his confidence in front of goal is low to me. I'd still start him with Martin next game, was not aware of his really poor penalty record (6 misses out of the last 9) until Sky mentioned it, we clearly need to given the job to someone else.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Martin certainly took some at Fulham, no idea of his success rate but he definitely scored a few.

Paterson has never taken them, ironically when he was at Huddersfield the penalty taker there was Nakhi Wells..

Surprised to hear that about Pato. As a technical player, I'd of thought he'd be high up the list of possible takers.

Bet he takes a lovely Panenka!

He made a poor choice with the style of his spot kick today. He didn't finish chances he had.  If he had done all of these faultlessly he wouldn't be playing for Bristol City. He's a decent footballer who is capable of doing a good job at championship level. As are others in the squad. 

Wells’ pen was a shocker. Sometimes those dinks work, sometimes they don’t. When they don’t, you look a right plonker. He almost scored a pearler from the edge of the box in the first half that whistled past the post. 

He wouldn’t be the first striker to regress after arriving at the Gate - a graveyard for good strikers. We haven’t been a side that creates a glut of chances since Cotterill’s days, IMO.

2 hours ago, edada said:

We’ve got bigger problems to solve than Nakhi but there’s something about him that makes me feel that he doesn’t really want to be here. 

I thought when we was announced on the roof he had the look of somebody who was faking excitement, he made it clear he wanted to stay at QPR, yet to be that impressed with him

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He had 3 good chances including penalty. He even missed chance when Krul pushed out Martins header from about 5 yards albeit offside but he didn’t know that. Not impressed one bit and can forgive him constantly giving ball away if he takes his chances. 

Have to agree, his general play is pretty poor,,, if he isnt scoring goals then hes pretty much a passenger. Fam isnt perfect but will score goals and have some impact with defending too. Wells has a striker alongside him whose main job is to give him chances, but hes really struggling to do anything.

Archived