IGNORED

Nahki Wells - crap signing.

Bassomylord

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

People on here saying he's poor but he's the best we've got with 3 goals and he hasn't started in all the games. He'll get 15-20 by the end of the season as he usually does in this league. All good strikers have poor runs and he's in a bit of one now.

Really. Because he's 30 years old, and hit more than fifteen goals in the Championship ONCE in that time, in 2015-16.

From what I can see quickly, Wells has made 236 Championship appearances and scored 73 goals - or 1 goal in 3.2 games.

Fam has played 114, and scored 38 - or 1 in 3 games. So a better record in fact, Fam is 3 years younger and as we know he offers a fair bit Wells doesn't in other areas of the pitch.

I'm not saying Wells is a bad player at all, I think he's decent, but his goal scoring record is often slightly misrepresented in my opinion.

I think Wells could probably be more clinical than Fam in the right team, but I'm not sure that's us.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No idea, not sure whether the above have taken them in the past.

Need the left Back to take em, reckon Jay would have stroked it into the bottom hand right corner.

Micky Bell took a good one, Tinman, how about Martin Scott did he take many? can't remember.  Anyway get a full back on the job right or left, Phil Neal,Ray Stewart Leighton Baines all tucked em away nicely.

I know Tinman wasn't a left back!!

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly mine too.

A friend of mine once asked Martin if he was ever worried that a keeper would save his penalties as he always went bottom right (I think). He simply said, ‘No’.?

Reminds me of Gary Lineaker once being asked if he felt pressure taking a penalty as he only ever missed one. Again, he simply replied ‘No’. He went on to say no striker should ever miss a free kick at goal from only 12 yards, where the the goal keeper has stay on his line. Simple 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

A friend of mine once asked Martin if he was ever worried that a keeper would save his penalties as he always went bottom right (I think). He simply said, ‘No’.?

Reminds me of Gary Lineaker once being asked if he felt pressure taking a penalty as he only ever missed one. Again, he simply replied ‘No’. He went on to say no striker should ever miss a free kick at goal from only 12 yards, where the the goal keeper has stay on his line. Simple 

Lineker was asked at what point he decided where he’d put his penalty.  Expecting his answer to be something along the lines of “when I place the ball” or “I wait to see what the keeper does”, his reply was as soon as a game was over in which he’d taken a penalty he started preparing for the next one, 10 a day after training, all in the same place, until the next penalty came up.  He would then have total confidence of putting it where he wanted.

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's all knock our best striker night, great. OTIB is ******* weird at the best of times but I can't get my head around this. Anyone can miss a penalty, seriously ANYONE

I’m not knocking Nhaki’s play as a striker, his record speaks for itself. 

His recent record taking penalties however is odd to say the least.

I was really excited about the Wells signing and I was willing to give him time to impress, but I've been really surprised at how many sketchy performances he's put in.

I'm not sure what the problem is but he needs to show his class. 

This thread is typical OTIB nonsense.  NW is a quality CF who will score goals for fun in any side playing to his strengths; QPR for example.  Yes the penalty was poor, but do not make him the latest boo boy target, he is a quality CF, get behind him. After all, what are the alternatives, DF?????

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's all knock our best striker night, great. OTIB is ******* weird at the best of times but I can't get my head around this. Anyone can miss a penalty, seriously ANYONE

Appy -  You didn’t see Shearer , Le Tiss , etc and don’t see Kane , Ronaldo try panenkas

All fantastic from the spot and technically on a different planet to Wells 

Why on earth would a player like Wells think it a great idea when he’s scored one in 7 pens 

As I said in a thread earlier , if you don’t feel confident in finding , or close to one of four corners then why try something that’s technically more difficult and risky

Fact is this. The kid had a nightmare today. Anyone who has played the game to a decent standard has one.

The bottom line with Wells is that he is a proper professional and the only sharp edge we have. Semenyo despite his promise has no league goals for us, Chrissy Martin is the best non-goalscoring centre forward of all time and big Fam is off as he would have signed his contract by now if he wasn’t.

What bothers me more, is that before Swansea Wells had missed 5 from 7 pens and there isn’t anyone in the club savvy or strong enough to tell him he is not on them anymore. Says loads that does.

Just now, Davefevs said:

No, not many, seem to remember a period when him and Biff missed about 5 on the trot between them.  Or at least it seems like that.

You may be right Dave, rose tinted about the old days on tonight. Little bit worried about us right now.

Also, SuperBob did not take our pens, he could have had 40 that year!

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I recall Ralph milne missing one somewhere, a important 1?

Anybody?

You’re more likely thinking of our previous number 7 - Gordon Owen. In the space of a couple of weeks, missed a penalty vs Swindon to get us in the playoffs and vs Mansfield in the FRT final shootout (Moyes also missed).

In the litany of great/shit penalties, at least Wells’ wasn’t a deliberate miss a la Tomlin vs Burton, nor as high as the legendary David Rennie effort which is still orbiting South Bristol to this day.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Nope i saw milne miss a important 1 silv, id wager you did too.

Under joe jordan, paul wimbleton, started to bob taylor, back to rob newman, then it was dave smith, then it was gavin.

I bet Paul Wimbleton hasn't had many mentions on OTIB over the years! :clapping:

Archived