IGNORED

Sense of realism...

PFree

I didn’t want DH as I felt we definitely needed an experienced Manager who had a track record of promotion, and importantly, strong connections in the upper echelons of the game. That said he’s here now and I have to say I’ve been impressed with his honesty and passion for the game. 

We have a mid-table wage bill, and being honest, we’ve taken on a cheaper management and coaching structure, possibly Covid came at the wrong time hence we are having to bide our time, who knows?

I will not criticise DH, he will do his best in a difficult situation and I am sure he hurts as much as we do when we fail. After LJ, I just enjoy his refreshing honesty.

I think I read the other day that we were the 35th biggest club but have the 6th highest population level. That for me suggests we have not invested to try and reach the promised land, we just hope that whilst trying to continually to balance our books by selling our best players, we one day end up with a bunch of kids and a bit of experience that by chance gets us over the line.

I believe we will be a lower mid-table this season and it’s all we can expect. You earn promotion, and I for one feel recent decisions and a lack of investment, have seen us stall, if not we may have possibly have gone backwards.

1 minute ago, markcarter said:

I couldn’t work out why anyone was talking about a promotion push this season.  A squad crammed with mid-ranking Championship players, with none exceptional, and a total novice head coach.  The odds against that coming off are enormous and the aim should be to avoid relegation.  That would be an achievement in those circumstances.  The very lucky points haul from the first 4 matches (only 2 of the wins deserved) at least gives streaky Holden a few weeks to work on ways of avoiding defeats, or, if he fails to do so, the Board a chance to make a decent appointment long enough before the end of the season to seek to keep us up.

I don't think Holden can be blamed for our poor run since the break, we've had injuries to key players and when you look at Norwich their squad is just better quality and has cost a lot more than ours.

As for replacing Holden with a more experienced manager that would definitely be Paul Simpson, you should know how this works by now.

1 hour ago, PFree said:

I didn’t want DH as I felt we definitely needed an experienced Manager who had a track record of promotion, and importantly, strong connections in the upper echelons of the game. That said he’s here now and I have to say I’ve been impressed with his honesty and passion for the game. 

We have a mid-table wage bill, and being honest, we’ve taken on a cheaper management and coaching structure, possibly Covid came at the wrong time hence we are having to bide our time, who knows?

I will not criticise DH, he will do his best in a difficult situation and I am sure he hurts as much as we do when we fail. After LJ, I just enjoy his refreshing honesty.

I think I read the other day that we were the 35th biggest club but have the 6th highest population level. That for me suggests we have not invested to try and reach the promised land, we just hope that whilst trying to continually to balance our books by selling our best players, we one day end up with a bunch of kids and a bit of experience that by chance gets us over the line.

I believe we will be a lower mid-table this season and it’s all we can expect. You earn promotion, and I for one feel recent decisions and a lack of investment, have seen us stall, if not we may have possibly have gone backwards.

Why do people keep saying they are really impressed with his honesty? 

You know the barrel has been scraped when this is the one positive people are talking about 

1 hour ago, PFree said:

Nah Covid affects everyone not just us, you could say, now would be the time to in fact, go with a exp manager and go for it... and not bide our time.

Its all about the money and the limits SL sets himself, whatever is said DH was not the best available but prob the cheapest and someone who would not wag the dog or annoy it.

Nothing against DH no waffle as yet but hes winging it, he needs to drop down a div to get exp; more tough games coming up .....will he last till xmas...probably .....and then go again next season?

When we were sat in 2nd after Swansea game I was given some banter for saying (on a now deleted @Matthew methread?) in two games time we could be out the playoffs with the level of performance I'd seen so far this season.

It gives me no pleasure to come back to this with us sat, 2 games later, in 10th.

Not a captain hindsight post, just reality. I think we all need to keep our expectations in check, the first 4 games flattered us, the reality is we're fighting again for 6th, maybe 5th in the table at best - but most likely this will be a re-building mid table season. 

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

When we were sat in 2nd after Swansea game I was given some banter for saying (on a now deleted @Matthew methread?) in two games time we could be out the playoffs with the level of performance I'd seen so far this season.

It gives me no pleasure to come back to this with us sat, 2 games later, in 10th.

Not a captain hindsight post, just reality. I think we all need to keep our expectations in check, the first 4 games flattered us, the reality is we're fighting again for 6th, maybe 5th in the table at best - but most likely this will be a re-building mid table season. 

I miss being called a "Melt" for not thinking we'd stay in second ?

For me the next two games - middling teams at this stage of the season help define where we are.

As it stands we have played 2nd, 3rd and 4th (1D 2L).  Beaten 7th, lost to 9th.  So 4 points from top half (5 games)...and 10 points against bottom half.

I do think we will see whether first 4 or 5 were a good sign or a flash in the pan.

Big two games imho.

45 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Why do people keep saying they are really impressed with his honesty? 

You know the barrel has been scraped when this is the one positive people are talking about 

Honest and hardworking are good qualities to have but to be manager of Bristol City who the owners want promotion it requires more , much much more.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me the next two games - middling teams at this stage of the season help define where we are.

As it stands we have played 2nd, 3rd and 4th (1D 2L).  Beaten 7th, lost to 9th.  So 4 points from top half (5 games)...and 10 points against bottom half.

I do think we will see whether first 4 or 5 were a good sign or a flash in the pan.

Big two games imho.

Good point, the next 2 are a good chance against more 'championship' opponents, away from home, hopefully with the pressure off us a bit.

Both good chances to steady the mini-dip, although Huddersfield picked up a good win today and a severn side derby is never a given.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't think Holden can be blamed for our poor run since the break, we've had injuries to key players and when you look at Norwich their squad is just better quality and has cost a lot more than ours.

As for replacing Holden with a more experienced manager that would definitely be Paul Simpson, you should know how this works by now.

Of course he can be blamed he wanted the job and he takes the salary every month. He is the manager and selects the team , tactics and motivation. If you do not want to take responsibility then don't take the job. 

51 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Good point, the next 2 are a good chance against more 'championship' opponents, away from home, hopefully with the pressure off us a bit.

Both good chances to steady the mini-dip, although Huddersfield picked up a good win today and a severn side derby is never a given.

I have seen Huddersfield twice and they looked a well organised side. An interesting coach to appoint who seems to be doing a good job so far. Though I have no idea if he is a good human.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Starting to make excuses already ?

Putting aside a head coach finding his way 

Pick your best eleven from all the Championship Squads

In a 5-3-2 or any formation tbh

Any City Players ?

So pick a second choice .....

a third ........

At what point does a City player feature , honestly ?

Without going into the whys and wherefores , we simply don’t have the individual quality to seriously threaten promotion , unless the head coach produces something extremely impressive and gets more from the sum of his parts

We are not dreadful individually or collectively but still some way off what we need if we want to step up

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

That's why supporters should look at the league table after ten games for a fair reflection on how the season is  going 

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

I have seen Huddersfield twice and they looked a well organised side. An interesting coach to appoint who seems to be doing a good job so far. Though I have no idea if he is a good human.

Agree, they have had some excellent results so far despite selling Karlan Grant & not replacing him.

Today’s in particular was an exceptional one.

Last season we were as bad up there as any game I saw, we do really need to become far harder to score against to keep picking up precious points.

Mistakes have really cost us over the last few games, and not just by the players. Holden seems far too rigid where I MF and 2 attacker in MF and , although it we did win 4 on the trot with it at the start of the season , playing it against 2 relegated sides expected to be promoted was a massive risk.

Holden has to reevaluate his position, and our system. Another CB would be handy while we're at it. 
I don't think Brunt mobile enough to play CMF, if he plays I would use him as a shield for the defence , holding role. Play 2 MF and just the one of Pato/COD etc. 
I do feel a bit of sympathy for Taylor Moore, he's playing first year in the Championship, being forced to play just about every game and out of position. Today it was just too easy to exploit the space at left CB . 

Archived