IGNORED

Paul Simpson

dREDful

Noticed the Sky comms today mentioned that it's not promotion or bust for DH this season, he's only required to continue improving the club's position. This would ring true so 8th or above is the target for Dean Holden which looks a long way off already. He could well face a similar fate as LJ if/when that position is out of reach in April. 

So, how do you think our next manager Paul Simpson will do next season?

His face certainly fits the Lansdown job requirements, under qualified for this level and already part of a fantastic coaching staff. 

Unless City sink to the relegation fringe I think Holden is safe this season even if City finish mid table. That would be worse than last season but I don’t believe Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton will be prepared to admit they made a mistake. Covid and the injuries will be used to justify another season. I’m worried we’ll have another couple of transfer windows where players are signed to fit Holden’s philosophy but who don’t fit the plans of the next manager. He’ll say he needs a couple of windows to get the squad he needs and the saga will continue 

11 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I think the expectation this season would be to just keep us in the Championship given what's going on right now. Once things 'get back to normal', e.g. fans being allowed in and income streams improving, then I think targets/expectationsre playoffs and promotion will be set.

I dont understand this viewpoint. There are 24 teams in this division and 3 will go up. Why should we be the only club to think that not seriously competing and going again next season is the correct thing to do . Covid or no Covid, it doesn't affect us going up.

24 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I dont understand this viewpoint. There are 24 teams in this division and 3 will go up. Why should we be the only club to think that not seriously competing and going again next season is the correct thing to do . Covid or no Covid, it doesn't affect us going up.

Spot on my friend!

You have to admire Norwich and the route they have taken, recruiting the reserve manager at Dortmund, which has given them access to technically gifted players who cost  reasonable fee's, and play a tactically erudite formation, with style and strength.  It is a path I would really have liked City to take, instead of plodding along, and recruiting a manager who is an LJ clone.  His quote today........" We had the game pretty much where we wanted it, and were right back in it on 75 minutes, and IF we had scored the penalty we would have had the momentum", seems perfect for Halloween, as it gives me pheckin nightmares, in that he could be so self deluded and mistaken, and  it be so reminiscent of the drivel that our last mamager used to spout.

We are a mid table side who will lose as many as we win, and we will be in exactly the same place 12 months from now, we had an opportunity to be ambitious and be brave, but we have taken the easy option.  We have no players now that Brownhill and Elliason have gone, who quicken the pulse and produce excitement, we are an ordinary team with an ordinary mamager, who are about to have another ordinary season. Happy Halloween.  ?

58 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Noticed the Sky comms today mentioned that it's not promotion or bust for DH this season, he's only required to continue improving the club's position. This would ring true so 8th or above is the target for Dean Holden which looks a long way off already. He could well face a similar fate as LJ if/when that position is out of reach in April. 

So, how do you think our next manager Paul Simpson will do next season?

His face certainly fits the Lansdown job requirements, under qualified for this level and already part of a fantastic coaching staff. 

What, one point? 

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You have to admire Norwich and the route they have taken, recruiting the reserve manager at Dortmund, which has given them access to technically gifted players who cost  reasonable fee's, and play a tactically erudite formation, with style and strength.  It is a path I would really have liked City to take, instead of plodding along, and recruiting a manager who is an LJ clone.  His quote today........" We had the game pretty much where we wanted it, and were right back in it on 75 minutes, and IF we had scored the penalty we would have had the momentum", seems perfect for Halloween, as it gives me pheckin nightmares, in that he could be so self deluded and mistaken, and  it be so reminiscent of the drivel that our last mamager used to spout.

We are a mid table side who will lose as many as we win, and we will be in exactly the same place 12 months from now, we had an opportunity to be ambitious and be brave, but we have taken the easy option.  We have no players now that Brownhill and Elliason have gone, who quicken the pulse and produce excitement, we are an ordinary team with an ordinary mamager, who are about to have another ordinary season. Happy Halloween.  ?

Precisely this. There's no chance we'll get promoted this season - if anything we've gone backwards 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:His quote today........" We had the game pretty much where we wanted it, and were right back in it on 75 minutes, and IF we had scored the penalty we would have had the momentum", seems perfect for Halloween, as it gives me pheckin nightmares, in that he could be so self deluded and mistaken, and  it be so reminiscent of the drivel that our last mamager used to spout.

Could not believe when he said that. Pretty much where we wanted to be - 3-1 down at home.

Well, if that’s the expectation, then we may as well give up now.

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

As I said elsewhere, what would the expectation be had Chris Hughton been appointed? Why should it be any less given that Holden was apparently the better candidate?

In terms of his track record and achievements Holden clearly was not the better candidate. He is inexperienced in management, has never achieved anything and was part of the previous failed regime. 

I suspect he was the cheap option and “better candidate” or “interviewed well’ probably means that he said what Ashton wanted to hear. Had he applied I doubt if Jurgenn Klopp would’ve been given the job.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Unless City sink to the relegation fringe I think Holden is safe this season even if City finish mid table. That would be worse than last season but I don’t believe Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton will be prepared to admit they made a mistake. Covid and the injuries will be used to justify another season. I’m worried we’ll have another couple of transfer windows where players are signed to fit Holden’s philosophy but who don’t fit the plans of the next manager. He’ll say he needs a couple of windows to get the squad he needs and the saga will continue 

If you are correct and we follow this long boring cycle of mediocrity then Lansdown and Ashton will have a lot to answer for. Especially considering some of the names reportedly interested in our vacancy. What a missed opportunity it could turn out to be. 

4 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

bit early to be talking about Dean Holdens dismissal I'd have thought

Based on the last few seasons, for some fans it's never too early to be talking about the head coach's dismissal! 

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Does anyone expect us to be as good as Lj's first 4seasons: all top half finishes. If so, give it time. If not, just hope we stay up and improve next season. 

We finished bottom half with Lee in his first full season (sorry to break this to you; just file under "Fake news," or fake stats or something), so I hope we're a little bit better than then when we finished 17th, lost a club record 8 consecutive league games, and went into the last six games one point above the drop.

I think a reality check needs to be taken. We have 6, yes 6, potential starters long term injured plus Kalas, Dasilva & O'Dowda have also been out. I think if we are 15th, or above, at the end of the year & the injured players are back I will be optimistic for the remainder of the season.

I have been supporting City for over 60 years so I could be suffering from brain fog!

You are right about seasons of Windows etc but I don't think it gets any easier in 2nd, 3rd, 4th years etc as you lose your best players and then rebuild

I don't get too emotional about a single win/lise/draw but over a season I want to see improvements and as much excitement as we had under Lj, especially the winning runs, the cup run, the development of young players and the last two seasons travelling to all away games was filled with hope and expectation as we did so well. 

Would have been going to the Smiths Stadium tomorrow if we were able but gotta say this team doesn't have the same resilience as last season - yet, anyway. 

Archived