IGNORED

Why is the reaction over the top?

David Brent

46 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

To be fair people are not reacting to a single moment or game but a series of poor moments and successive games without winning, an art perfected by the previous Head Coach.

However I really think we played badly against Boro, but not so bad in the other four. 

We have a problem taking chances, but we also have the usual massive injury problems, which have lead to a team no one would have picked nine games ago, so to your point, yes there is an over reaction, mainly because many don’t see how this is going to end any time soon!

First goal in the Champ (probably most games in fairness) is very important.

In 9 league games (small sample):

- score first, win 4

- opposition score first, draw 2 (Barnsley where we went ahead, and Swansea), lose 3

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

- score first, win 4

- opposition score first, draw 2 (Barnsley where we went ahead, and Swansea), lose 3

Yes I would certainly go along with that to a great extent. We should have been ahead at Bournemouth and out of sight at Barnsley. 

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

It’s been creeping in the past couple of seasons. I blame social media but it’s even more prevalent now that every single game is televised.

Player A has a good game and is a world beater. Player A then has a bad game and is shit.

I like to think that fans on here are a bit more levelled with their responses as opposed to say a well known City Facebook page but this place is becoming unbearable after a defeat. 

Multiple reasons. Some are just morons, some have had a belly full of bullshit from the club, some just have delusions of grandeur etc. 

Today we were outclassed from start to finish by a side that will be top six. Credit goes where it’s due, although they were helped by several basic errors. 

We are so far behind Norwich, even with the injuries. I predicted a lower mid-table finish for us before the start of the season with this backward managerial appointment and have seen nothing to upgrade that.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm genuinely quite interested to see if anyone can make a team that's been promoted playing 3-5-2/5-3-2, I can't think of any. I also don't see why at any point Holden was going to make this club stronger when he spent 3 years as an understudy to someone who was sacked for underachieving. 

Sheffield United certainly used 3-5-2.

Think Watford did too.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

- score first, win 4

How many of those 5 were from avoidable defensive errors? Certainly today, and a few more I think.

It’s an over reaction but I think a lot of it is fuelled by the clubs poor 5 week recruitment process before giving the job to DH. Especially when we have stated our aim is for promotion.

The problem is that until he achieves significant success, fans will always feel that a proven manager would have done a better job.

I like that DH keeps faith in his system and isn’t constantly changing as LJ did. I felt that LJ showed too much respect to the opposition, set up focusing on their strengths more than having the confidence in our own and over complicated games.

I hope to be proven wrong but I feel the club has set an unrealistic expectation of achieving promotion or the minimum of play offs. It’s possible but I think we’ll be better equipped for it next season.

DH has the task of integrating so many young players into the squad with Vyner, Moore, Bakinson, Semenyo, Walsh all stepping up and having a massive role to play.

The injuries that have occurred this season have had a massive knock on effect, I’m not so sure those goals would have happened with both Mawson and Kalas been in that 3 man defence with only one of Moore/Vyner. Whilst Kalas was previously on the bench, I felt that would have been a change made after recent results.

In the Norwich game, the defending for the goals was diabolical but there was fight in the second half and the team were pushing to get back in the game rather than crumbling or going into damage limitation as they could have easily done.

I think DH has the potential to achieve promotion but it will take time. I like what he’s trying to do but there’s a lack of experience. Also feel there was an error made in not bringing in another centre back. Personally, I feel you always need back up for every player on the pitch so going into the season with 5 centre backs would always leave us short when playing in a system with 3 at the back. Particularly as Vyner/Moore can also double up as right back cover which is now needed with the Sessegnon injury.

On 31/10/2020 at 17:59, Dr Balls said:

Bielsa uses 3 at the back at Leeds but he plays a 3-3-3-1 formation.

Wilder got Sheffield United up playing 3 at the back, 2 of which were attacking centre backs. After a few years of success, they have struggled so far this season, but it is possible to make it work.

@Spike

Add Wolves- albeit very much added to the mix a superagent- to that.

They were more of a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 type shape, which even at times became a strikerless 3-4-3- however they alternate between the 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 and 3-5-2 in the PL now and are doing very nicely! Albeit a side quite a bit above the Championship or even newly promoted norm- but since Nuno went there it has been always some variant of a back 3. Possible of course that in-game changes would go to 4 or whatever but broadly speaking, they're a 3 at the back side as their base.

On 31/10/2020 at 13:55, Davefevs said:

- score first, win 4

As Howard Wilkinson once said " if you score the first goal the other team have to score two to win" it may sound like a stupid statement but if you are a team that struggles to score goals then it should be your mantra

What I've noticed, and it's been the case for at least a couple of years now on here, is that we seemingly can't just lose a game for a simple reason - other team is better or played better, individual error, bad refereeing decision, players didn't perform, manager got selection/tactics/subs wrong etc etc - there always has to be some deeper meaning and reasoning behind it that points to some existential terminal crisis that requires immediate fixing to stave off disaster, usually involving sacking the manager.

I think if you asked Alan Dicks, you might be surprised / enlightened. I reckon if you asked, or were able to ask, every City manager in our history, you would come to realise that what is now the lower Lansdown has always been a hard-to-please and never-afraid-or-slow-to-voice-its-displeasure area of the ground, always knowing slightly better than the bloke picking the wrong team/adopting the wrong tactics/losing the dressing room (etc).

When you think about how we started out at the beginning of the 20th century, that became the benchmark against which every subsequent manager was failing, or would soon fail, or had failed. Even AD in the 70s, despite doing what only one other City manager ever did.

As long as anyone can remember there has been an air of resignation and gloom and despondency and pessimism, and nothing ever quite being good enough, and the expectation that things will very soon go tits up, about a considerable slice of the AG crowd. We are an Eeyore sort of crowd.

Nowadays it is amplified and exacerbated by the modern tendency and appetite for nastiness and spite (which has been with since about the mid 70s) and the delights of modern communication technology. 

Things like waiting 65 years, and now 40, for a return to top class football (and more than 100 for a third FA cup semi or second final) - while watching countless others of similar size, or smaller achieve it - and triple consecutive relegations take their toll on the collective mindset and outlook. 

6 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I was wondering this myself.  I'm not looking at the forum half as much and simply avoid it completely after a loss.  To answer your question, I have no idea. 

I thought it was the younger generation who have grown up with just throwing around abuse on twitter as faceless avatars.  But I think its every generation on here, not just the millennials (which I'm technically classed as being born in 1983).

I guarantee if you had to post under your real name, you wouldn't get half the shi* on here.

Whatever the reasons, and I'm not sure what they are, but it seems to be getting worse.  Some of the abuse on here towards Mark Ashton was unbelievable, and I was shocked at what people were saying and getting away with.  Just because they are in the public eye, doesn't mean its fair game to abuse.  Someone called Mark Ashton a manual manipulator, to which I said "your mum is a manual manipulator".  I got banned for a month and rightly so, but, the point it was trying to prove was that its the same thing. They don't know MA so its ok to say what they like, but as soon as you get personal about someone that they know, its a different story! Well, I've got news for you, its the same thing.

The reaction to a loss on this forum is madness too.  Absolute meltdowns to loses to proven Premiership teams in Bournemouth and Norwich!! I mean, seriously.  Anyone with half a braincell can work out that we are without some of our best players.  Baker, Weimann, Mawson, Williams, Sessegnon, Walsh are big losses to us.  How is that Holdens fault?  Mental. 

Anyway, I'm ******* moaning about the moaners and over reactions on here, with a moan and a ******* over reaction. 

You do surprise me.

Didn't I read on here that yours is a pseudonym for Mrs (Maggie) Lansdown?

Or is that a different 'Badger'?

21 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I was wondering this myself.  I'm not looking at the forum half as much and simply avoid it completely after a loss.  To answer your question, I have no idea. 

I thought it was the younger generation who have grown up with just throwing around abuse on twitter as faceless avatars.  But I think its every generation on here, not just the millennials (which I'm technically classed as being born in 1983).

I guarantee if you had to post under your real name, you wouldn't get half the shi* on here.

Whatever the reasons, and I'm not sure what they are, but it seems to be getting worse.  Some of the abuse on here towards Mark Ashton was unbelievable, and I was shocked at what people were saying and getting away with.  Just because they are in the public eye, doesn't mean its fair game to abuse.  Someone called Mark Ashton a manual manipulator, to which I said "your mum is a manual manipulator".  I got banned for a month and rightly so, but, the point it was trying to prove was that its the same thing. They don't know MA so its ok to say what they like, but as soon as you get personal about someone that they know, its a different story! Well, I've got news for you, its the same thing.

The reaction to a loss on this forum is madness too.  Absolute meltdowns to loses to proven Premiership teams in Bournemouth and Norwich!! I mean, seriously.  Anyone with half a braincell can work out that we are without some of our best players.  Baker, Weimann, Mawson, Williams, Sessegnon, Walsh are big losses to us.  How is that Holdens fault?  Mental. 

Anyway, I'm ******* moaning about the moaners and over reactions on here, with a moan and a ******* over reaction. 

I'd say you've had at least your fair share of 'meltdowns' on numerous subjects in your various guises over the years Badger!

16 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think if you asked Alan Dicks, you might be surprised / enlightened. I reckon if you asked, or were able to ask, every City manager in our history, you would come to realise that what is now the lower Lansdown has always been a hard-to-please and never-afraid-or-slow-to-voice-its-displeasure area of the ground, always knowing slightly better than the bloke picking the wrong team/adopting the wrong tactics/losing the dressing room (etc).

Indeed, I remember Gerry Gow saying he took stick from a group of '8 blokes in the Enclosure' on his debut and they never relented the whole time he was at the club.

38 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Fair, but this is happening on a daily basis on here. You must see the overreaction on here is getting worse Nogbad.  We've both been on here for a long time.  

I'm not talking about individual posts, I'm talking about post like the ones asking for "Holden out" after 2 defeats.  There just doesn't seem to be any thought process at the moment. 

To be fair I have only seen two posters who actively want Holden out (not the same as not wanting him in to start with but that's not changing so he has to be backed by the fans I think). However, if we don't pick up a win in the next couple the meltdown will well and truly begin. The match threads are actually entertaining......everyone happy first half against Bournemouth and then all of a sudden "it's going to be a long season".

Win tonight with a changed midfield and everyone is calmer again, lose............

41 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Fair, but this is happening on a daily basis on here. You must see the overreaction on here is getting worse Nogbad.  We've both been on here for a long time.  

I'm not talking about individual posts, I'm talking about post like the ones asking for "Holden out" after 2 defeats.  There just doesn't seem to be any thought process at the moment. 

Everyone's extra frustrated by the tedious lifestyle enforced on many of us at the moment, and the prospect of much more of the same to come. 

It's bound to come out on forums like this imo., and, in the extremes, not worth taking too much notice of.

Let's just hope DH and the team can provide us City fans with some much needed cheer in the near future.

On 31/10/2020 at 17:51, Davefevs said:

Good post, one thing I’d disagree is that I think Holden had the players for 352 (might be flawed thinking - time will tell)....but to suggest LJ stuck with anything is not true....he couldn’t resist changing.  In fact probably our most attractive spell last season was early on in the 5212 / 3412.

Funny Footy Quotes on Twitter: "Ron manager. Bang on as always....… "

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Everyone's extra frustrated by the tedious lifestyle enforced on many of us at the moment, and the prospect of much more of the same to come. 

It's bound to come out on forums like this imo., and, in the extremes, not worth taking too much notice of.

Let's just hope DH and the team can provide us City fans with some much needed cheer in the near future.

When City have a great away win... ?

Archived