IGNORED

DEAN HOLDEN READ THIS

Topper 123

10 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Been a problem for a while. No leaders, no one prepared to put a tackle in.

Think we tried to rectify this by signing Williams, but he’s not been able to play.

There’s no one in our team who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get going. A midfield of Bakinson, Williams and Walsh may be interesting. God knows how long we’ll have to wait for that though.

Don’t worry, Williams and Walsh are only 2 weeks away. 

40 minutes ago, grifty said:

I agree. I thought WITH the ball we actually played quite well, especially when we resorted to 4 at the back giving us an extra body in midfield. I can think of 3-4 moments of us having great chance to score. The problem yesterday was WITHOUT the ball, mainly in the first half.

Guaranteed if Wells had scored the pen and we'd lost 3-2 there wouldn't have been one thread on him today. But he missed the penalty in a poor way (no one complained of him scoring like that v Swansea) and now it's he's a waste of a signing, poor player, doesn't want to be here, bad character, etc.

You have described the game without being affected by emotion or agenda. Clearly our three centre backs were sub-standard both individually and collectively yesterday and there is no way that Dean Holden can justify to my mind that the midfield balance is right. Players like Stieperman cannot have 5 seconds to pick a pass in any system you are using. Lack of effort and/or going through the motions is a ridiculous stick to beat the players and manager with imo. It’s a nonsense.

The game yesterday was NOTHING LIKE an LJ managed performance, nothing whatsoever but it’s another very easy throwaway line I keep seeing from those who want Holden out but cannot be bothered to explain why.

10 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What really gets me is the number of times the ball is in midfield and they pass it back to Bentley. It happened over and over again today when we were two goals behind FFS. 

I don't think Norwich did it at all until they decided to start running down the clock. 

This very much remains a trait of our play despite DH advocating ‘play forward’ 

Of all Championship teams I suspect we play the highest percentage of square or back passes @Davefevs may kindly be able to illuminate this further.

Agree with the lack lustre tackling, we don't seem to win the 50/50 tackles and when we do tackle its a try and nick the ball, went mad at Jay yesterday when he totally bottled a challenge, whilst getting injured may be in the back of his mind, that's not good for a defender.

Midfield is just wrong and non existent, at least when AW was in there you had a lot of movement and pressure on the ball, thought Callum was OK yesterday, but Brunt nowhere near it and Patterson gone missing. Much better with Bakinson on, can't understand how Naggy is not on the pitch, would like to see Naggy covering the defence and Bakinson a bit more forward.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Bullshit. As soon as posters accuse players of “going through the motions” in matches  I question whether they have played the game and immediately switch off. Emotion is clearly getting the better of people and the whole principle of “I have a message for Dean Holden” is just self indulgent, narcissistic bullshit.

Do you disagree with the bits I’ve highlighted?

CBA88D6F-7159-4EB1-9531-4089F03EAE2E.thumb.jpeg.b7aacacaee9fc208806e30073bb7a7a8.jpeg

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes we did. Yet again the club failed to convey basic information to the fans at the time. It was slipped in on a slow news day. This wasn’t some “trade secret” that we could keep to gain a competitive advantage?. People blaming Dean Holden for what they consider to be “the state of the club” are so wide of the mark.

Williams got injured in the in-house friendly at Failand, the match that took place after the Cheltenham game.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you disagree with the bits I’ve highlighted?

CBA88D6F-7159-4EB1-9531-4089F03EAE2E.thumb.jpeg.b7aacacaee9fc208806e30073bb7a7a8.jpeg

Williams got injured in the in-house friendly at Failand, the match that took place after the Cheltenham game.

Fair enough if I got the Williams bit wrong. As for the highlighted bit I agree that the way we set up gave some quality players in the Norwich midfield far too much time to kill us with their passing and that two of the three players in that midfield area simply can’t tackle. I cannot agree at all that players were going through the motions, ie another way of saying they couldn’t be arsed. I’m not having that. Their weaknesses and the inexperience of two of our back three were simply exposed by a better side than us. Does Holden need a rethink on his midfield and does he need to get one of these free agent centre halves in? Definitely in my view.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Fair enough if I got the Williams bit wrong. As for the highlighted bit I agree that the way we set up gave some quality players in the Norwich midfield far too much time to kill us with their passing and that two of the three players in that midfield area simply can’t tackle. I cannot agree at all that players were going through the motions, ie another way of saying they couldn’t be arsed. I’m not having that. Their weaknesses and the inexperience of two of our back three were simply exposed by a better side than us. Does Holden need a rethink on his midfield and does he need to get one of these free agent centre halves in? Definitely in my view.

No, I agree, clumsy highlighter pen ?.

From my point of view I think it shows (and Bournemouth) that if our intensity drops (for whatever reason) teams play around and through us.

Holden needs to think carefully about his team selection and his use of subs.  If he can get a CB in, hopefully they are ready to be fit “enough” to provide cover from Derby.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some truths in the OP though.

Yes there are! All of a sudden without Weimann no one is running and tackling. Bakinson (the bloke who lost the ball leading directly to Mawson crocking himself) runs back at a slow jog having consistently lost the thing and opening us up to a break away, we have no real bite  or a bully or ability to win the ball back quickly  

O’Dowda and Pato couldn’t win a big tackle if their life depended on it, however the same goes for Nagy and HNM and you’ll only get 60Minutes from Brunt who only gets a look if the thing is bloody stationary

Nevertheless we know all of this. It is just a waiting game with Walsh and Williams and in the meantime hope one of our forwards finds a modicum of form and our CBs don’t get caught holding theIr bits in our half Again and again and again!!

5 hours ago, City oz said:

Unfortunately not sad. I just watched the high lights on Foxtel. I hope this is not another downward spiral we experienced that started late November early December last season.. 

Beaten by a very good side, although our finishing let us down, and a truly awful penalty. Think we are a side in transition, saddled with a few poor signings from last summer, and with Covid uncertainty, no quick fixes. One thing I don’t like is the lone central midfielder, thought Norwich had way too much time to pick out the forward pass.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right and why I don’t come on here after a defeat.

The OP fails to give any credit to Norwich who were pretty damn good and they were in the PL last season as B’muff were. Both of them had a bit more quality than City.

Get over it!

Every cloud has... etc etc. 

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

Possibly, though would have been pointless if Williams had not got injured. I certainly don't see how Brunt is a better option than Korey though.

Absolutely agree.........why not give Korey (A club man through and through) a contract instead of importing a player who was once quality, but is now sadly past it.........for whatever reason Holden does not seem to rate KS, I am not sure if it is personal or misguided?  I am afraid as many have predicted, DH will not last the season out, a nice guy, but not a solution to our lack of quality? IMHO.

37 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Beaten by a very good side, although our finishing let us down, and a truly awful penalty. Think we are a side in transition, saddled with a few poor signings from last summer, and with Covid uncertainty, no quick fixes. One thing I don’t like is the lone central midfielder, thought Norwich had way too much time to pick out the forward pass.

I’m still fuming Sorensen wasn’t sent off.

The one overriding memory from yesterday is that when one of our players either lost the ball in a tackle or gave it way cheaply they didn’t appear the slightest bit bothered and just jogged back behind the opponent with no sense of urgency or desire.

That for me is unforgivable. It is a basic requirement of a football team.

I really am shocked that a manager who appears tough and uncompromising allows it to happen without response... ie subbed immediately or dropped from the next match. 

Our DNA is a bunch of nice softies and we need that sorting now.

On 31/10/2020 at 23:00, Magger1 said:

Today was a pathetic limp attempt to win a game of football by a team managed by you , I think sky pointed out we haven’t won a game in last 20 when going 1 down in league ,now that stinks of a team with a lack of passion and this was evident on the pitch today ?i don’t think there was one tackle to get the blood flowing ,plenty of limp legs hanging out for a tackle but not one player who put his body into the tackle to WIN I’m not surprised we get so many injuries, and players running back with no intent to get near the tackle in other words going through the motion and as poor and pathetic a bunch they looked to the whole country it’s YOUR job to drive and motivate and that begins on the training ground through the changing room and from touch line to pitch .I really think they need a bollocking their not good enough to play out from back , we played first 20 minutes in our half ffs ( 0-2 down ) that shouldn’t happen at home until we get better players hard graft and determination and spirit is all we have but you got to get it out of em or weed the weak out 

E4759AAF-A128-43C5-A6EF-41E14A044079.jpeg

On 01/11/2020 at 10:01, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Been a problem for a while. No leaders, no one prepared to put a tackle in.

Think we tried to rectify this by signing Williams, but he’s not been able to play.

There’s no one in our team who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get going. A midfield of Bakinson, Williams and Walsh may be interesting. God knows how long we’ll have to wait for that though.

Whilst I agree with a lot of this, I do think Baker is very much prepared!

We've gone a goal behind in six league matches this season and picked up five points including the win on Tuesday where our "passion" to turn the game round has not been mentioned anywhere that I can see. Given the importance of the first goal in the Championship (pretty much every single manager will tell you that) that is probably an average return, not a great one and not a poor one that would lead me to think that the players lack passion and go through the motions when losing the game.

In the four matches where we've scored first we've picked up 12 points so we know what the moral of the story is!!

On 31/10/2020 at 23:00, Magger1 said:

don’t think there was one tackle to get the blood flowing ,plenty of limp legs hanging out for a tackle but not one player who put his body into the tackle to WIN

This is 100% correct. at any level you play at, there are always a few players who cannot be ar3ed to tackle properly and its not a size thing. We currently have too many who "pretend" they are doing it, but don't.

I realise they are there to go forward /score, but if you want to overload the midfield with players who are really wingers or 10's, you should be spending most of the week, teaching them to tackle. Someone also need to teach Wells, as he either lets the player by in a "cannot be fussed" manner, or fouls the player. I can barely remember him succeeding in a clean challenge once....

Archived