IGNORED

Next 5 games

Robin Wood

There is no reason why we shouldnt be getting a min 1pt a game and aiming for 3 a game. Wouldnt surprise me if we didnt get any though we are BCFC anything could happen.

Dont stop there though we have the likes of Millwall, Brum, Blackburn, Preston coming up next month.....and Jan just Brentford, Preston, Norwich, Hudders and Derby to face again.....Feb well it goes on have a look.

We need to win a few games pretty soon before we fall away badly, to do that we need to take our chances and tighten up at the back and grow a pair midfield.

DH may well be at the mercy of SL by xmas...no more mr Nice Guy Dean.

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

There is no reason why we shouldnt be getting a min 1pt a game and aiming for 3 a game. Wouldnt surprise me if we didnt get any though we are BCFC anything could happen.

Dont stop there though we have the likes of Millwall, Brum, Blackburn, Preston coming up next month.....and Jan just Brentford, Preston, Norwich, Hudders and Derby to face again.....Feb well it goes on have a look.

We need to win a few games pretty soon before we fall away badly, to do that we need to take our chances and tighten up at the back and grow a pair midfield.

DH may well be at the mercy of SL by xmas...no more mr Nice Guy Dean.

Roll on Wycombe we may get a point there hopefully 

Tough games ahead. i hope he has a couple of free transfers lined up. watching the game yesterday the defending was embarrassing. Taylor Moore and Zac vyner were out of there depth. The pair in my opinion do not appear to have improved. Both have had a good number of games so they can not be called up and coming youngsters. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Tough games ahead. i hope he has a couple of free transfers lined up. watching the game yesterday the defending was embarrassing. Taylor Moore and Zac vyner were out of there depth. The pair in my opinion do not appear to have improved. Both have had a good number of games so they can not be called up and coming youngsters. 

Taylor Moore is being criticized and rightly so to some extent but he is being played out of position - he's the only one of the 3 that can play on the left side,

I don’t see how we can now persist with 3 centre backs with only 3 fit cb’s at the club . Kalas and Moore with Hunt and Dasilva either side gives us Rowe and Vyner on the bench with the option to switch to 3 Cb’s if needed .  Playing 3 at the back that weren’t good enough to do it cost Tinman the Managers job in the past after all ! 

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

God I don't see many points in the next 5 games 

Huddersfield a 0 points 

Cardiff a 0 points 

Derby h 1 point 

Watford h 1 point

Reading a 0 points 

If you asked this question 4 weeks ago I would of said most probably 8 points from these five,

hussersfield 0.

Cardiff 3.

Derby 3.

Watford 1.

Reading 1.

now I see only 4 points Max.

The questions are now has the DH bubble popped and are the DH non backers from a few months ago when LJ got the sack ( oops sorry left Left over a mutual understanding) now starting to re surface again.

lets face it we made a good start to the season. DH is doing his best but he is still not an experienced manager at this level. Give him some time and he will be but can we except this for another couple of seasons. I for one cant wait for Prem football at BS3. 

All the hype of three  and four months ago of a hope-full signing of an experienced Manager and it did not happen may go down and  result in this season  in history of one we will want to forget.

Did Mr Lansdown and the board make the correct decision In raising the level of DH at the club is more the question 

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I don’t see how we can now persist with 3 centre backs with only 3 fit cb’s at the club . Kalas and Moore with Hunt and Dasilva either side gives us Rowe and Vyner on the bench with the option to switch to 3 Cb’s if needed .  Playing 3 at the back that weren’t good enough to do it cost Tinman the Managers job in the past after all ! 

And Vyner offers cover at right back too

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Taylor Moore is being criticized and rightly so to some extent but he is being played out of position - he's the only one of the 3 that can play on the left side,

Maybe more accurate to say that none of the 3 can play on the left side!

Unless we're getting a left-side centre back on a free it would be safer to play a back 4 where the CBs are more narrow.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Unless we're getting a left-side centre back on a free it would be safer to play a back 4 where the CBs are more narrow.

Correct but he's being scapegoated by some. For me he's in ahead of Vyner if / when we get a left sider before if / when Baker returns. I'd try Rowe there, he's not tall but neither was Geoff Merrick for those who remember him

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Kalas was playing left side for Czech Republic last time out, and played decently 

He can play there but the central role as the one with experience and , in theory the ability and noise to organise is , in theory , the obvious role for him 

49 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Correct but he's being scapegoated by some. For me he's in ahead of Vyner if / when we get a left sider before if / when Baker returns. I'd try Rowe there, he's not tall but neither was Geoff Merrick for those who remember him

Yeah he shouldn't be scapegoated when he's in an unenviable position, but they're all accountable if they make silly errors like Moore did for the Boro goal.

44 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Kalas was playing left side for Czech Republic last time out, and played decently 

He can play there but the central role as the one with experience and , in theory the ability and noise to organise is , in theory , the obvious role for him 

That's interesting, were they playing a back 3?

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah he shouldn't be scapegoated when he's in an unenviable position, but they're all accountable if they make silly errors like Moore did for the Boro goal.

That's interesting, were they playing a back 3?

Yes  , different intensity at International level but he looked comfortable enough

My stance all along has been that Weimann was a sticking plaster solution....even though this looks less likely as time went on.  But I think some of that has is because Williams has been out.  Currently we have neither.

I never expected Holden to persist with a 6 and two 8s with the emergence of Bakinson.  With Bakinson and Brunt, backed up by Nagy and Massengo there was no need to go quite so attacking, plus Weimann could compete with Paterson for the more attacking midfield role in a new blend of 3 plus Weimann could also offer good options up top too.

What we’ve seen is the better teams (Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich) and the well-drilled teams (Boro) expose the flaws in that system / roles...and there are flaws in any system so it’s not a case of just lobbing it in the bin either.  And I think the learning from this is knowing when you can be expansive and when you can’t.  You won’t get it right every time either.

The encouraging thing is that in the last 3 games we’ve competed.  You might argue that Norwich had extra gears and toyed with us from 2-0 up, but we did create a lot of chances yesterday, just that ares were hard work and good play to create, whilst theirs were just too simple and easy.  That’s the key from yesterday.  As a team if we play open football against the good sides, they’ll pick us off.  It might be entertaining, but we will end up chasing most games.  We might get the odd result....if we can actually score first, but those top 4/5 teams will pick up the majority of points.

Therefore, I don’t think it needs a fundamental change.  You can either set up a little bit less expansive in the 352 - but you expose the limitations of the only 3 CBs we have.  Or a small change to leave a CB out and play them in a protective role in front of what is now a back 4.  The front 5 is still a front 5, although you can change personnel and positions slightly too.

Prinny and Shelton’ Army talked about a diamond and a 4132.  Depending on the shape of those 4 in the midfield you are pretty similar.  Stringing 4 across the midfield in a 442 is not what I want to see.  So essentially, lose a CB, play a midfielder.  Or stay with 352 but make it more defensive.

If you go back to a back 4 you will lose the option of wingbacks playing high.  I actually think that suits Dasilva....I think he’s better starting deep, e.g. he’s more effective as a LB than LWB.  Hunt probably the opposite, but pros and cons all over.

Going back to the 4132, I also think the three can press higher up the pitch too.  Personnel wise you need defensive energy....I don’t think Paterson and O’Dowda give you that together, both give you good energy with the ball....but I’d have to leave one out most of the time.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Hopefully all City fans 'remember' Sir Geoffrey, who played a genuine Captain's part in City's promotion to the top league, whether they are old enough to have seen him play or not.

Merrick was a leader, a master battler in the air despite his height, and a fearless tackler; neither Rowe or any other present day candidates for the role are comparable, whatever their stature.

I think the system will improve with the right adjustments, tweaks, depending on the opposition. 

One of the criticisms levelled regularly at LJ was the belief he played too often "to" the opposition, rather than playing our own game. Well I think DH might have been trying this, but the question is, will it only work consistently if you have the quality of player to impose?

What we've seen over the last few games is we don't have the quality. Or enough of it. 

Frankly, backs up what we've felt for a while, the club, SL et al, want/need a manager to out perform the budget - which is still frankly mid-table - and that is why DH is going to be under a lot of pressure from the fans, probably more than any manager in our recent history, which is a shame for a decent guy who is no doubt hurting this weekend.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What we’ve seen is the better teams (Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich) and the well-drilled teams (Boro) expose the flaws in that system / roles...and there are flaws in any system so it’s not a case of just lobbing it in the bin either.  And I think the learning from this is knowing when you can be expansive and when you can’t.  You won’t get it right every time either.

Do you think it's the better teams as you mention, or that we were a bit of an unknown quantity in the first few games and now teams are starting to adapt and understand us?

There are some seriously good and tactically aware managers in this division. I'm really interested in whether we find the same thing happening with some other teams we think we should be beating. It's then up to Holden to tweak and keep us fresh.

Surely unless you're really at the top of your division it's very hard to do the same thing every week and not expect to get nullified?

I know lots of us say we want to set up our own way and let them worry about us, bit there is a balance.

30 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Do you think it's the better teams as you mention, or that we were a bit of an unknown quantity in the first few games and now teams are starting to adapt and understand us?

There are some seriously good and tactically aware managers in this division. I'm really interested in whether we find the same thing happening with some other teams we think we should be beating. It's then up to Holden to tweak and keep us fresh.

Surely unless you're really at the top of your division it's very hard to do the same thing every week and not expect to get nullified?

I know lots of us say we want to set up our own way and let them worry about us, bit there is a balance.

I think I’ll start reaching that conclusion after Friday!  We will know much more about us after games against two middling sides.

Archived