Robin Wood

8 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

God I don't see many points in the next 5 games 

Huddersfield a 0 points 

Cardiff a 0 points 

Derby h 1 point 

Watford h 1 point

Reading a 0 points 

I'm going to say 7 points from that lot.  Seems ambitious especially considering our current form.  But we have to remember Norwich and Bournemouth will be in the top 3 (as will Watford) and Swansea top 6.  We all know Warnock will get his 57th promotion at Middlesbrough so we've played some tough teams just recently.

On 01/11/2020 at 06:52, Robin Wood said:

Huddersfield a 0 points 

Cardiff a 0 points 

Derby h 1 point 

Watford h 1 point

Reading a 0 points 

Huddersfield L

Cardiff D

Derby W

Watford D

Reading L

5 points from that, Huddersfield are on great form and we have a poor record at their ground. Cardiff is a weird one as they’re on poor form as well think that will be an awful 0-0. Derby not looked great this season and we’ll have a fresh squad and possibly the return of Williams and Walsh so I think we’ll win that. Watford again on poor form but a strong squad. Reading hard to say how they’ll respond to their defeat.

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Huddersfield L

Cardiff D

Derby W

Watford D

Reading L

5 points from that, Huddersfield are on great form and we have a poor record at their ground. Cardiff is a weird one as they’re on poor form as well think that will be an awful 0-0. Derby not looked great this season and we’ll have a fresh squad and possibly the return of Williams and Walsh so I think we’ll win that. Watford again on poor form but a strong squad. Reading hard to say how they’ll respond to their defeat.

That will put us on 19 from 14 games which if you extrapolate gives 63 points for the season - same as last season and down on 17/18 [67] & 18/19 [70]. This equals zero progress and abject failure of those who take the strategic decisions when it comes to moving to the next level. I don't blame Holden, he just got lucky and, as I said in another thread, it's like the Shift Manager being put in charge of the whole factory - it might come off and he could turn the place around but your head tells you it isn't going to happen.

18 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But is that not what we do as football fans 

Hahaha, a bit like my wet dreams in my younger years. However those dreams didn’t occur in real life.

i have been lucky enough to see a couple of freight rover trophy finals at Wembley and city in division 1. Great years they were. 

I do dream now but a bit more realistic and the dream I have of City being in the top four of the prem or even playing in Europe is most likely not going to happen in my life time.

Lansdown has got the money and decided a low cost option in DH. OK we started well but know reality is kicking in.

It’s always a big COYR from me. However dreaming is just dreaming.

58 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That will put us on 19 from 14 games which if you extrapolate gives 63 points for the season - same as last season and down on 17/18 [67] & 18/19 [70]. This equals zero progress and abject failure of those who take the strategic decisions when it comes to moving to the next level. I don't blame Holden, he just got lucky and, as I said in another thread, it's like the Shift Manager being put in charge of the whole factory - it might come off and he could turn the place around but your head tells you it isn't going to happen.

It could go either way, my hope is we’ll be better with Walsh, Williams, Baker and Mawson back in. I think it’s an open league this year so you never know that points total could get us higher in the league. 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Hahaha, a bit like my wet dreams in my younger years. However those dreams didn’t occur in real life.

i have been lucky enough to see a couple of freight rover trophy finals at Wembley and city in division 1. Great years they were. 

I do dream now but a bit more realistic and the dream I have of City being in the top four of the prem or even playing in Europe is most likely not going to happen in my life time.

Lansdown has got the money and decided a low cost option in DH. OK we started well but know reality is kicking in.

It’s always a big COYR from me. However dreaming is just dreaming.

Wise words Oz

On 01/11/2020 at 11:57, Davefevs said:

Therefore, I don’t think it needs a fundamental change.  You can either set up a little bit less expansive in the 352 - but you expose the limitations of the only 3 CBs we have.  Or a small change to leave a CB out and play them in a protective role in front of what is now a back 4.  The front 5 is still a front 5, although you can change personnel and positions slightly too.

Prinny and Shelton’ Army talked about a diamond and a 4132.  Depending on the shape of those 4 in the midfield you are pretty similar.  Stringing 4 across the midfield in a 442 is not what I want to see.  So essentially, lose a CB, play a midfielder.  Or stay with 352 but make it more defensive.

If you go back to a back 4 you will lose the option of wingbacks playing high.  I actually think that suits Dasilva....I think he’s better starting deep, e.g. he’s more effective as a LB than LWB.  Hunt probably the opposite, but pros and cons all over.

Going back to the 4132, I also think the three can press higher up the pitch too.  Personnel wise you need defensive energy....I don’t think Paterson and O’Dowda give you that together, both give you good energy with the ball....but I’d have to leave one out most of the time.

You make plenty of good points there, Fevs. I would throw another option into the mix. Despite his shit penalty, Nakhi Wells has always performed well when played as a lone striker. Last year he thrived at QPR, often with Eze, Chair and Osayi-Samuel in behind.

I can see positives with a similar 4-2-3-1 system. It would allow a centre-back to drop to the bench for rotation, Bakinson and Nagy/HNM (until Williams is fit) could sit, Walsh could be the 10, rotate Pato, Semenyo, COD on the flanks, in behind Wells/Martin/Diedhiou.

Semenyo could play the same role he did for Newport, Pato and COD get further forward, Walsh (when fit) can hopefully dictate the tempo, Wells plays the width of the six-yard box. As I say, just a thought to make us more solid and balanced than we currently are but there's no guarantee it would work. 

As for the next five games, if Holden continues to flog the current starting XI, we will do well to get anything. If he can show he's learning and becoming proactive, especially with his use and timing of subs, that would give us a far better chance of picking up points. 

11 minutes ago, tin said:

You make plenty of good points there, Fevs. I would throw another option into the mix. Despite his shit penalty, Nakhi Wells has always performed well when played as a lone striker. Last year he thrived at QPR, often with Eze, Chair and Osayi-Samuel in behind.

He has, but he’s also played well off a big man too.  I’m not against a 4231....I certainly don’t buy “it’s defensive” because there’s only one striker.  That’s tosh imho.

I can see positives with a similar 4-2-3-1 system. It would allow a centre-back to drop to the bench for rotation,

I agree.  Vyner also can cover Hunt....double whammy!

Bakinson and Nagy/HNM (until Williams is fit) could sit, Walsh could be the 10, rotate Pato, Semenyo, COD on the flanks, in behind Wells/Martin/Diedhiou.

Yep, we might have different views on personnel in each role, but conceptually I agree.  The bit I don’t like is the word “flanks”.  I think they have to play narrow or lopsided, e.g. one narrow, one wide.  I want them close to my one striker.

Semenyo could play the same role he did for Newport, Pato and COD get further forward, Walsh (when fit) can hopefully dictate the tempo, Wells plays the width of the six-yard box.  As I say, just a thought to make us more solid and balanced than we currently are but there's no guarantee it would work.

sounds logical to me.  It’s all about service.

As for the next five games, if Holden continues to flog the current starting XI, we will do well to get anything. If he can show he's learning and becoming proactive, especially with his use and timing of subs, that would give us a far better chance of picking up points.

I don’t think CBs generally get flogged....Dasilva and Rowe are being interchanged.  Bakinson had been rotating with Brunt (for better or worse), the forwards have been rotated.  Pato hadn’t been and Hunt is the risk going forward.  But we do have to use the players carefully.

On 01/11/2020 at 07:13, glos old boy said:

There is no reason why we shouldnt be getting a min 1pt a game and aiming for 3 a game. Wouldnt surprise me if we didnt get any though we are BCFC anything could happen.

Dont stop there though we have the likes of Millwall, Brum, Blackburn, Preston coming up next month.....and Jan just Brentford, Preston, Norwich, Hudders and Derby to face again.....Feb well it goes on have a look.

We need to win a few games pretty soon before we fall away badly, to do that we need to take our chances and tighten up at the back and grow a pair midfield.

DH may well be at the mercy of SL by xmas...no more mr Nice Guy Dean.

Where are all the "we are second stop complaining" guys gone now.

The posters that saw the writing on the wall and expressed concern were shouted down and called Melts .

Nice to know that the concerns were valid and deserved discussion not derision 

2 hours ago, tin said:

I can see positives with a similar 4-2-3-1 system. It would allow a centre-back to drop to the bench for rotation, Bakinson and Nagy/HNM (until Williams is fit) could sit, Walsh could be the 10, rotate Pato, Semenyo, COD on the flanks, in behind Wells/Martin/Diedhiou.

Semenyo could play the same role he did for Newport, Pato and COD get further forward, Walsh (when fit) can hopefully dictate the tempo, Wells plays the width of the six-yard box. As I say, just a thought to make us more solid and balanced than we currently are but there's no guarantee it would work. 

Is the Championship the right place to try and learn your trade?

On 01/11/2020 at 07:53, Hampshire reds said:

Tough games ahead. i hope he has a couple of free transfers lined up. watching the game yesterday the defending was embarrassing. Taylor Moore and Zac vyner were out of there depth. The pair in my opinion do not appear to have improved. Both have had a good number of games so they can not be called up and coming youngsters. 

Frustratingly both have plenty of great moments and touch's of class, but both now have been at fault this season for far too many of our goals against with schoolboy errors (forgivable if 19 and making a debut), but neither are and they have had plenty of opportunity.

Time for some senior pro's to come in, if Mawson and Baker are not available until new year or worse. 

On 31/10/2020 at 23:52, Robin Wood said:

Huddersfield a 0 points 

Cardiff a 0 points 

Derby h 1 point 

Watford h 1 point

Reading a 0 points 

I like the next 5 game threads (especially when things are going well! ?). 3 Wins, 1 draw and 1 lost - 10 points from a possible 15. Definitely better than I expected, especially given our form before that - we have done well to turn things around (add in the QPR result after losing to reading and it shows positive signs).

What about the next 5? 

Birmingham (currently 18th), Blackburn (currently 9th), Rotherham (currently 20th), Millwall (currently 12th) and PNE (currently 14th).

On paper and easier set of games, but we all know the championship doesn't work like that. Preston just beat Bournemouth and Millwall are only 7 points behind us despite being 12th. A similar return from to the last 5 would see things shaping up well. 

Three of the next five are going to be very revealing about the Team’s DNA under Holden. 

Blackburn, Millwall, Preston are teams that invariably out-muscle us. 

Will be very interesting whether we can deal with their physicality this season. 

51 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Three of the next five are going to be very revealing about the Team’s DNA under Holden. 

Blackburn, Millwall, Preston are teams that invariably out-muscle us. 

Will be very interesting whether we can deal with their physicality this season. 

Birmingham Blackburn Millwall and Preston can't remember the last time we played well against these sides normally get totally bullied let's hope things have changed

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

I like the next 5 game threads (especially when things are going well! ?). 3 Wins, 1 draw and 1 lost - 10 points from a possible 15. Definitely better than I expected, especially given our form before that - we have done well to turn things around (add in the QPR result after losing to reading and it shows positive signs).

What about the next 5? 

Birmingham (currently 18th), Blackburn (currently 9th), Rotherham (currently 20th), Millwall (currently 12th) and PNE (currently 14th).

On paper and easier set of games, but we all know the championship doesn't work like that. Preston just beat Bournemouth and Millwall are only 7 points behind us despite being 12th. A similar return from to the last 5 would see things shaping up well. 

I love the "Zak Vyner out of his depth/not good enough" comments. 

On 02/11/2020 at 15:23, Clutton Caveman said:

Where are all the "we are second stop complaining" guys gone now.

The posters that saw the writing on the wall and expressed concern were shouted down and called Melts .

Nice to know that the concerns were valid and deserved discussion not derision 

I agree.

We've dropped like stone from 2nd to 3rd.

Archived