IGNORED

Bobby Charlton has dementia.

pillred

When Bobby goes...football will die for me. Him and Bobby Moore...both epitomise English football the world over.

I've held the pleasure of speaking to Bobby a few times...at Man Utd reserve games when Ole was the reserves manager.

I was just in awe at how composed, friendly and Gentlemanly he was with everyone.

One of the true legends.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What a player.  I’ve only ever seen highlight of him, and I know he was thought of as a top, top player...but I think he was one of the best...ever.

I saw him play in the late 60's with George Best in the team also. He was so assured on the ball, could make time for himself and always a goal threat from distance with his shooting, the heavier ball definitely suited his shooting style which used to go like a rocket

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What a player.  I’ve only ever seen highlight of him, and I know he was thought of as a top, top player...but I think he was one of the best...ever.

Me too.

The best English player of all time for me & up there with the all time greats of any nation.

I can remember when I was young round about the early 70s I had an uncle who was in the navy. He travelled all over the world, a very different world to today, no internet, very few football games on tv etc.

He said even the most remote countries in the world, ones that didn’t speak any English, when he said he was from England the first thing they’d say was “Bobby Charlton” 

He’s up there with the nations greatest ambassadors 

I have no doubt that he is the greatest English footballer of all time. There was a general consensus among international managers and the best players in the world that between 1963 and 1970 he was the best midfield player in the world....period. Genuinely two footed he had the stamina of a marathon runner but quick enough to win the 800 metres. His thunderbolt shooting, with left or right, was legendary. It is, said that when he rifled in his goal against Mexico in the 66 world cup Mexico City came to a standstill as the population cried in the streets. More champagne and caviar than Jack's pie and a pint but a true gentleman of the sport. 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

When Bobby goes...football will die for me. Him and Bobby Moore...both epitomise English football the world over.

I've held the pleasure of speaking to Bobby a few times...at Man Utd reserve games when Ole was the reserves manager.

I was just in awe at how composed, friendly and Gentlemanly he was with everyone.

One of the true legends.

Pele's favourite players, according to Trivial Pursuit! :)

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There’s no ‘ K’ in Nobby. Have a little respect at least spell the World Cup winning player’s name right.

Try putting  Nobby when you have spell check I did and it told me to put Knobby, not everyone has your super extensive knowledge of how to spell every name in the universe correctly what a C*ck you are, guess who's going on my ignore list. thought better of you obviously you are the smarmy g*t you look like in your avatar perhaps think of changing your name to major disaster, bye!!

15 hours ago, pillred said:

Try putting  Nobby when you have spell check I did and it told me to put Knobby, not everyone has your super extensive knowledge of how to spell every name in the universe correctly what a C*ck you are, guess who's going on my ignore list. thought better of you obviously you are the smarmy g*t you look like in your avatar perhaps think of changing your name to major disaster, bye!!

Try reading all the hommages to Nobby Stiles. 

I think you’ve made yourself look a little bit stupid.

I’ll leave it at that. 

20 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

He hasnt made himself look stupid in the slightest. Just you.....all because of a spelling mistake. Well done you.

It’s not a ‘ spelling mistake ‘ , it strikes me as a lack of respect on behalf of the thread starter. 

In his haste he didn’t do the absolute minimum in checking the spelling of Nobby Stiles name. 

He just added to his ignorance with his attack on me afterwards.

On 01/11/2020 at 18:35, ralphindevon said:

He said even the most remote countries in the world, ones that didn’t speak any English, when he said he was from England the first thing they’d say was “Bobby Charlton” 

I had the exact response from a taxi driver in Tangiers in about 1992.  The only English he could speak.

Fantastic player.  Wonderful man by all accounts.  

5 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

He hasnt made himself look stupid in the slightest. Just you.....all because of a spelling mistake. Well done you.

To accuse me of disrespecting one of England's legends just because I happened to misspell his name was way over the top I was seething as you could tell from my reaction, thanks for your comment.  

Archived