IGNORED

All things Bristol City U23's

Lrrr

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Get Marley back in the team Nige!

I don't have a clue how they have set up there. Pearson left back maybe. 

O'Leary

Moore.     Baker.    Towler

Pearson.                                                 O'Dowda

Scott.     Walsh.      Massengo

Watkins.       Bell

8 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’m not sure Watkins is as bad as his reputation here...    I wonder whether NP might see him as useful. Watkins at least has a bit of presence about him. 

He isn’t.

Early in his time with us he scored the winner v Sheff U & Blackburn & when Fam was suspended did an excellent job up front in the win at Cardiff & at Barnsley (think we were 2-0 up when he came off).

@Davefevs and I are both fans, he’s a scruffy player at times but an absolute pain to play against, always leaning on you, pulling your shirt on the blindside of the ref & closing down.

Aberdeen fans said his spell with them was their best this season & what he always does is play for the team, not himself.

I still think he will be let go but wouldn’t be surprised if Pearson makes use of him over the next 2 months.

19 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Has anyone used the line 'the boss is playing himself' yet?

I did. In a strongly worded complaint to HR. I don't care how senior he is, there is no excuse for having your trousers down in an office environment.

23 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’m not sure Watkins is as bad as his reputation here...    I wonder whether NP might see him as useful. Watkins at least has a bit of presence about him. 

The only thing Watkins did wrong - and it wasn't his fault - was not being the player we needed when we signed him and costing a million quid.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He isn’t.

Early in his time with us he scored the winner v Sheff U & Blackburn & when Fam was suspended did an excellent job up front in the win at Cardiff & at Barnsley (think we were 2-0 up when he came off).

@Davefevs and I are both fans, he’s a scruffy player at times but an absolute pain to play against, always leaning on you, pulling your shirt on the blindside of the ref & closing down.

Aberdeen fans said his spell with them was their best this season & what he always does is play for the team, not himself.

I still think he will be let go but wouldn’t be surprised if Pearson makes use of him over the next 2 months.

I’m with you.  He’s useful. He’s been stop start in his time here. Part injuries and never ever having a run. Seemed to immediately become the fall-guy for a bad performance. 
If you were NP, he’d surely seem an alternative. 
Again, I expect he’ll be let go... probably one look at his wages will decide that! But I’d he does well and stays fit between now and the end of the season, you never know... another year on reduced terms and a fair crack at it, he might turn out ok. 

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He isn’t.

Your'e right he had an excellent game away at Cardiff followed by a good solid display in the following home game.....never to be seen again under LJ. Bizarre!!

I think Davefevs said recently that when he spoke to Jack Hunt about partnerships that he said Watkins was his favourite player ahead of him in a forward / midfield position.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is it just a friendly? 

Like when we had Maenpaa, Ash Williams, Watkins, Diedhiou with a mixture of youth against an even more senior Leeds side. Was called an under 23s game. But seemed like it was just a game to get both teams players fitness up.

Its a league game, we've just stuck as many in as we're allowed, Walsh/Moore both 23 for example

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Get Marley back in the team Nige!

I don't have a clue how they have set up there. Pearson left back maybe. 

Jeez - if Marley Watkins is the answer, I genuinely no longer know what the question is. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

That starting 11 has more players who are NOT under 23 than are!!

Average age 22.25 is about all you can say about it as an U23 side. 

What ever was wrong with reserve teams? 
a blended team of kids and experienced players is surely a sensible step towards first team football. 
soneone like Pearson (S) or Towler had probably never played a proper men’s game in their life and get chucked straight into the Championship. Crazy. 
the alternative seems to be loaning them out - but look at James Morton, I don’t think he’s kicked a ball at Gillingham yet. 

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

What ever was wrong with reserve teams? 
a blended team of kids and experienced players is surely a sensible step towards first team football. 
soneone like Pearson (S) or Towler had probably never played a proper men’s game in their life and get chucked straight into the Championship. Crazy. 
the alternative seems to be loaning them out - but look at James Morton, I don’t think he’s kicked a ball at Gillingham yet. 

The problem with reserve team these days is that there would be a temptation for clubs to just fill them with surplus squad members and the kids would get even less chance to play. Our players that reach that point tend to go on loan, most are successful at getting them games, and we bring though the much younger players. In the case of this club we have 16 - 19 year olds often playing against players much older than them, so that works just as well as the old reserve football.

Archived