IGNORED

All things Bristol City U23's

Lrrr

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Alex Scott back with the full squad tomorrow?

I would like to think so, I watched some of the last game and can see what all the hype is about. I saw one of the Sheffield Utd fans describe him as a "knock off Jack Grealish", which I can see from the way he holds himself and changes pace.

Interesting that since Pearson has taken over when Owura Edwards has been fit he hasn’t made the first team squad once.

Yesterday he starts for the U23s & so again he isn’t going to be involved tonight.

I listened to OSIB with RobF David Lloyd & Stanley & the latter said he thought he’d be in our first team squad next season.

I’m not so sure he will, possibly a League One loan?

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting that since Pearson has taken over when Owura Edwards has been fit he hasn’t made the first team squad once.

Yesterday he starts for the U23s & so again he isn’t going to be involved tonight.

I listened to OSIB with RobF David Lloyd & Stanley & the latter said he thought he’d be in our first team squad next season.

I’m not so sure he will, possibly a League One loan?

Good learning curve at Grimsby, but huge step up Lg2 > Champ.

I do think we over-estimate the current ability of our youngsters.  Totally get they have potential.  Think it was JonD suggesting starting Janneh tonight.  No problem from an experimental point of view or give him some experience, but that’s very different to thinking he’s ready to be a fully fledged squad member next season.  He might be, but he might not be too.  Nor JonD am I saying you’re wrong, just using your example.

Back to Owura Edwards.  Lively debut v Brentford as full debuts go, things to like too, but I thought he was some distance away from being ready.  I’ve watched bits and pieces for Grimsby and decision making is an area to improve.  That showed v Brentford.  Easy to carried away with dribbling with the ball, but ultimately they all ended up with Dalsgard taking the ball off of him, or him fouling.  Those things provide excitement, but ultimately show that he is often showing lack of awareness and decision making.

Sounds like I’m being harsh, but I think HNM is a good yardstick.  I don’t think any of our own kids are as talented as him, and we can see how difficult it can be to make an impact rather than just making up the numbers!

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good learning curve at Grimsby, but huge step up Lg2 > Champ.

I do think we over-estimate the current ability of our youngsters.  Totally get they have potential.  Think it was JonD suggesting starting Janneh tonight.  No problem from an experimental point of view or give him some experience, but that’s very different to thinking he’s ready to be a fully fledged squad member next season.  He might be, but he might not be too.  Nor JonD am I saying you’re wrong, just using your example.

Back to Owura Edwards.  Lively debut v Brentford as full debuts go, things to like too, but I thought he was some distance away from being ready.  I’ve watched bits and pieces for Grimsby and decision making is an area to improve.  That showed v Brentford.  Easy to carried away with dribbling with the ball, but ultimately they all ended up with Dalsgard taking the ball off of him, or him fouling.  Those things provide excitement, but ultimately show that he is often showing lack of awareness and decision making.

Sounds like I’m being harsh, but I think HNM is a good yardstick.  I don’t think any of our own kids are as talented as him, and we can see how difficult it can be to make an impact rather than just making up the numbers!

Unsurprisingly I completely agree.

I actually don’t think any of our “youngsters” are viable candidates for next season’s squad at present.

Just to qualify that though HNM is on course to have made 50 appearances for us before his 20th birthday, Semenyo has already made 50, Bakinson is in the 30s & Vyner (no longer a youngster for me) has played well over 50.

So they are not youngsters in terms of games now, though in age terms Han Noah most clearly is.

The group beneath them, many of whom have made their league debuts this season now need to progress by playing regularly elsewhere, the way 3 of the ones named above have.

We also have to plan that we resolve the ridiculous injury issues next season & so run with a squad between 23 & 25, this could mean 1 or 2 of them stick around but as exceptions, rather than the rule.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I actually don’t think any of our “youngsters” are viable candidates for next season’s squad at present.

Just to qualify that though HNM is on course to have made 50 appearances for us before his 20th birthday, Semenyo has already made 50, Bakinson is in the 30s & Vyner (no longer a youngster for me) has played well over 50.

So they are not youngsters in terms of games now, though in age terms Han Noah most clearly is.

The group beneath them, many of whom have made their league debuts this season now need to progress by playing regularly elsewhere, the way 3 of the ones named above have.

We also have to plan that we resolve the ridiculous injury issues next season & so run with a squad between 23 & 25, this could mean 1 or 2 of them stick around but as exceptions, rather than the rule.

The bit I have highlighted there reminds me of the City side of the 70s that got to the 1st division. Players in their early 20s that had over 200 games under their belts, and had played together for many years already.

On 21/04/2021 at 11:16, GrahamC said:

Generally agree with most of that, the one thing I would say is that Conway looks a very good prospect to me and needs to stay here not on a loan. I'd start him in the last two games and give him the full 90 minutes. 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Generally agree with most of that, the one thing I would say is that Conway looks a very good prospect to me and needs to stay here not on a loan. I'd start him in the last two games and give him the full 90 minutes. 

Have to disagree, it will be far more beneficial for Conway to get regular game time at a Division 1 side than sit on the bench and get the odd few minutes here and there.  I see him as a potential first team player, and to increase his prospects he needs minutes on the pitch.  I am certain the intention is a loan at a suitable club, and then back to compete here for season 22/23

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Must be a boring game. 40 odd minutes gone and last city twitter update was on 1 minute to tell us game is underway

1-0 Brum now, William Hill updates say there's been 3 shots each, 1 on target each

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Has surely got to get a seat on the bench or even a start in the last two games.

Be very harsh to leave Conway out after Saturday, but certainly deserves a spot on the bench.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Be very harsh to leave Conway out after Saturday, but certainly deserves a spot on the bench.

I'd start Conway, but I think he deserves a seat on the bench at least. No point in bringing Fam back in, fit or not.

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Class from Benarous there to set up Pearson who absolutely smashes it into the corner from a tight angle.

Think that's big Nige celebrating on the touchline 

If it is, he's probably excited to see a bit of passion, excitement, and more importantly a Bristol City win!!!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Who’s playing, who’s scored.

Anyone got the link to the website that shows PDL scores?  Thanks.

No idea, no idea and I go on William Hill they have the game under their in play section and it gives updates like 'Bristol City attack', 'Bristol City dangerous attack', 'Wigan Corner' etc 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Well apparently William Hill aren't doing updates for the second half so either that or flashscore work then to get score updates only

Bet365 are.... ever thought to look there before.  No video though.

I watch all the Flyers games via Bet365, and Boston Celtics too.

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Well apparently William Hill aren't doing updates for the second half so either that or flashscore work then to get score updates only

They are now.

Wigan missed a penalty first half ?

Archived