IGNORED

All things Bristol City U23's

Lrrr

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

OK, but why not let them sign off from U23 commitments by helping win a trophy and for that matter, why not see if any of the first team fancied playing with that goal in mind or have they all gone on holiday

As said because they’ve then had 2 weeks less rest than the rest of the first team, trying to give them the best chance of hitting the ground running next season. They wouldn’t necessarily be signing off from 23’s games, could very well be they find themselves out of contention for whatever reason next season and drop back down for a patch. End of the day the activities revolve around the first team. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Pearson is playing for Wales soon, Bell is injured, Conway and Scott are deemed as first team players now.

Pearson being away with Wales…. Scott away with England perhaps? 

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

To paraphrase, Toby said that they were deemed to have progressed to the first team squad so weren't considered. Seemed a bit odd to me.

This is the kind of focus we have lacked previously, and is now being provided by NP.

The success of the first team is paramount, and everything else comes second.

Imagine Scott or Conway playing in that game and suffering an injury that prevents them starting next season fully fit, what would people think then?

The U23 team is the new reserve team, players who are not yet considered regular first team squad members get the chance to impress, players coming back from injury get a run out.

Next season is critical for the future of the club and putting potential first team match winners in the firing line unnecessarily is not the approach NP will take, he has already said that the young players need looking after.

I’m sure both lads would have wanted to play, youngsters always do, it reminds me of the Chris Garland story that he signed a pro contract and then injured himself playing with his mates in Ashton Park for fun, not something that would be tolerated today.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Well. A game that swung multiple ways with us on top for spells and then them on top for spells. Very evenly matched. 

Our MOTM definitely Towler. Very solid display. 
Closely followed by Pring. Defended solidly and was a constant threat going forward too. 
Edwards is lively but needs to learn when to bring other players in. 
Benarous looked skilful in his brief appearance. 
I thought we really struggled in central midfield. Owers & Morton didn’t ever impose themselves on the game, and neither did Smith when he came on for Owers. 
Britton didn’t get much service to work off, so it was hard to judge his performance, but he put himself about when he had to. 

Their big man up front, Josh Andrews, was a right handful. 

Overall a decent watch and we’ve got some decent players in there. Probably only Pring from all of them would be in my first team squad next season though. 
Midfield very weak. Glad we have Scott coming through there, as none of the 3 that played in there today looked likely to make the first team. 

Pretty much my impression too.

We have decent individuals as we do in the first team squad.

However...we just don't seem to want to control games.

It seems more about energy, and making the opposition make mistakes, then pounce on that...rather then controlling the ball and passing with possession.

We seem very much a counter attacking side based on forcing mistakes. It's very unattractive to watch. 

We literally don't control anything for any period of time. The ball is a hot potato. 

If only Britton had some legs...I actually think I was physically fitter in my prime than him. Shame...I'll be surprised if he ever makes it past this level. Absolute natural goal scorer and forward/striker with brain but no legs whatsoever...would love it if proved otherwise, but seriously? 

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

If only Britton had some legs...I actually think I was physically fitter in my prime than him. Shame...I'll be surprised if he ever makes it past this level. Absolute natural goal scorer and forward/striker with brain but no legs whatsoever...would love it if proved otherwise, but seriously? 

This is Brittons 2nd full season at the club? Having previously been on loan at a couple of non-league and actually playing for Mangotsfield for 1 season. I understand he was playing Saturday football and working at the same time before that?

If he has a full season of U23 + 1st team exposure/training, his athleticism, stamina, etc are things that can be improved. He's not going to turn into Weimann, but he'll be more mobile than Fam. I'd prefer if our coaches had to train some stamina into a player, rather than teach them how to finish!

No point writing off a young forward who has currently played 20mins of 1st team football, scored in it and shown more desire than a £5.3m striker did for the last 6 months...

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Pretty much my impression too.

We have decent individuals as we do in the first team squad.

However...we just don't seem to want to control games.

It seems more about energy, and making the opposition make mistakes, then pounce on that...rather then controlling the ball and passing with possession.

We seem very much a counter attacking side based on forcing mistakes. It's very unattractive to watch. 

We literally don't control anything for any period of time. The ball is a hot potato. 

I agree in todays game @spudski but in other games I have seen, Alex Scott has controlled the midfield and we have looked far more effective with Pearson and Bell for him to hit. 

58 minutes ago, grifty said:

This is Brittons 2nd full season at the club? Having previously been on loan at a couple of non-league and actually playing for Mangotsfield for 1 season. I understand he was playing Saturday football and working at the same time before that?

If he has a full season of U23 + 1st team exposure/training, his athleticism, stamina, etc are things that can be improved. He's not going to turn into Weimann, but he'll be more mobile than Fam. I'd prefer if our coaches had to train some stamina into a player, rather than teach them how to finish!

No point writing off a young forward who has currently played 20mins of 1st team football, scored in it and shown more desire than a £5.3m striker did for the last 6 months...

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't describe Britton as a hard working front man. He's much more in the traditional target man mould in terms of running. 

What impressed me today is he had a spell around 80 minutes where he upped his work rate and did a little extra harrying, perhaps on instruction or worried about being subbed...

I think Britton should look to an established player like Chris Wood at Burnley to see how a modern day big-man can operate at a high level.

Wood has nearly 50 Premier League goals on his CV and is a real handful. He's probably been a good, disciplined pro to get there.

I watched the match on BCTV and, as one who has always enjoyed watching youth football, I'm grateful that it was shown.

The quality of the performance and the ability of individuals is so encouraging for the future of our club. Especially as at least five players who are eligible for the under 23's were not selected for varying reasons. Probert, Tinnion and the coaches are apparently doing a very good job.

The formation of the side, I believe, may show some influence from Nigel Pearson with 3-5-2 or was it 3-4-3 or 3-6-1. Whichever one, they all appear to me as a counter attacking system. Isn't that how NP set up Leicester City to get out of the Championship and continued by Ranieri to win the Premier League?

Is it the way that we have been trying to play for, at least, the last three seasons. Why we have won plenty of away games but dull and boring at home? Is this how NP will play next season? 

Is my view of this is correct or near the mark, or am I way off? I acknowledge that it won the Premier for Leicester so it's effective and I, and thousands more, would be delighted if we could do the same. After three seasons of total boredom at home games, I want us to be more positive and proactive, especially at home, rather than reactionary.

I'd appreciate some thoughts from those posters with much more experience of systems/ formations. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I watched the match on BCTV and, as one who has always enjoyed watching youth football, I'm grateful that it was shown.

The quality of the performance and the ability of individuals is so encouraging for the future of our club. Especially as at least five players who are eligible for the under 23's were not selected for varying reasons. Probert, Tinnion and the coaches are apparently doing a very good job.

The formation of the side, I believe, may show some influence from Nigel Pearson with 3-5-2 or was it 3-4-3 or 3-6-1. Whichever one, they all appear to me as a counter attacking system. Isn't that how NP set up Leicester City to get out of the Championship and continued by Ranieri to win the Premier League?

Is it the way that we have been trying to play for, at least, the last three seasons. Why we have won plenty of away games but dull and boring at home? Is this how NP will play next season? 

Is my view of this is correct or near the mark, or am I way off? I acknowledge that it won the Premier for Leicester so it's effective and I, and thousands more, would be delighted if we could do the same. After three seasons of total boredom at home games, I want us to be more positive and proactive, especially at home, rather than reactionary.

I'd appreciate some thoughts from those posters with much more experience of systems/ formations. 

The problem is it's not as easy as having a pre-match tactical meeting saying, OK, we're going to play possession football now.

LJs ideology seemed to be high intensity press which was 'successful' when utilising Reid and Pato when we went on our good run. After that we seemed to have a mis-match of players signed not particularly fitting to one style but a variety.

This continued under Holden and if you think of our striker line-up at the end of the season. Wells, Martin, Fam, Semenyo. What footballing philosophy could you pick up from looking at those players? They are all very different. Due to Holdens inexperience, it would be easier to plump for a counter attacking tactic as it is 'safer'. Sit back, absorb pressure, break away when getting the ball. Problem was, we don't have any particularly quick players. Wells isn't quick and was deployed at left wing, Fam runs like an oil tanker, Martin, runs like a 40 year old, Semenyo is quick but not direct to the goal, Palmer slows the play down, Pato isn't quick. We had a style but not the players to fit it.

If Pearson can bring in 5/6 players who suit a counter attacking formation it will be far better than playing counter attacking football with players who don't suit it.

I can see us bringing in 2/3 wingers, 1 striker, 1/2 centre backs, a centre mid and a full back or two.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

How tall is Joe Low!? Giant of a centre half

20210521_150327.jpg

I said a few months back that I saw a photo of him celebrating a goal and he looked mahoosive.  Was injured first half of the season, then came in, but missed recent games.  Growing pains?

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If anyone’s interested Forest and Birmingham have gone Cat 1

How have they managed that? Must have some serious infrastructure to achieve that in the championship. Watch them go one a big drive to poach all top talent in lower category academies

2 hours ago, BOSRed said:

How have they managed that? Must have some serious infrastructure to achieve that in the championship. Watch them go one a big drive to poach all top talent in lower category academies

A lot of championship clubs are cat 1

Blackburn, Stoke, (now) Fulham and WBA, Forest, Birmingham, Derby, Boro, Reading, Norwich. Sunderland in league 1. 

it’s not hard you just have to be willing to invest more per season to meet the requirements 

Archived