Jump to content
IGNORED

All things Bristol City U23's


Lrrr
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, headhunter said:

As it was a cup semi-final why did we rest Scott and others with no first team commitments on the horizon?

Pearson is playing for Wales soon, Bell is injured, Conway and Scott are deemed as first team players now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well. A game that swing multiple ways with us on top for spells and then them on top for spells. Very evenly matched. 
 

Our MOTM definitely Towler. Very solid display. 
Closely followed by Pring. Defended solidly and was a constant threat going forward too. 
Edwards is lively but needs or learn when to bring other players in. 
Benarous looked skilful in his brief appearance. 
I thought we really struggled in central midfield. Owers & Morton didn’t ever impose themselves on the game, and neither did Smith when he came on for Owers. 
Britton didn’t get much service to work off, so it was hard to judge his performance, but he out himself about when he had to. 
 

Their big man up front, Josh Andrews, was a right handful. 
 

Overall a decent watch and we’ve got some decent players in there. Probably only Pring from all of them would be in my first team squad next season though. 
Midfield very weak. Glad we have Scott coming through there, as none of the 3 that played in there today looked likely to make the first team. 

Zac Smith is being released. I think he came on for Janneh. Benarous came on for Owers before extra time.

Seen a fair bit of Morton and he's a fantastic long passer of the ball with either foot. But unfortunately he hasn't got much else to his game, and doesn't seem to have developed much from his Bath loans. 22 now so no doubt another loan away, hopefully to a team where he plays regularly unlike the 2 previous loans.

Owers only just turned 19. He will need to bulk up a lot. I expect he will go back to Bath on loan next season.

Owura's work rate really impressed me..never stopped running. Like Semenyo said when asked about Owura, 'he's a strong boy.' He really looks powerful as well as having explosive pace and full of tricks on the ball.

He made some nice intelligent passes too. Really looks a player.

Towler reminds me of Lloyd Kelly. So composed.

Plenty of positives. A good competitive game that was. Very physical and a good standard.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

As it was a cup semi-final why did we rest Scott and others with no first team commitments on the horizon?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

Pearson is playing for Wales soon, Bell is injured, Conway and Scott are deemed as first team players now.

As Grifty says, Tinman explained pre-game that Conway and Scott have been playing first team, and need rest so they can come back pre-season having had the same rest as the senior players….abd can give it their best shot.

I think that shows how the club treat the u23s as development for first team, not about results.

It also shows what an impression both have made.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

As it was a cup semi-final why did we rest Scott and others with no first team commitments on the horizon?

To paraphrase, Toby said that they were deemed to have progressed to the first team squad so weren't considered. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, grifty said:

Pearson is playing for Wales soon, Bell is injured, Conway and Scott are deemed as first team players now.

OK, but why not let them sign off from U23 commitments by helping win a trophy and for that matter, why not see if any of the first team fancied playing with that goal in mind or have they all gone on holiday

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Was Towler at LB or CB? Stuck in work sadly so couldn't watch. Anyway, sounds like he played well. Maybe one to keep around next season?

He played left sided CB of a back 3. 
I personally think that’s his most comfortable position. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, headhunter said:

OK, but why not let them sign off from U23 commitments by helping win a trophy and for that matter, why not see if any of the first team fancied playing with that goal in mind or have they all gone on holiday

I dunno, it wasn't really up to me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

OK, but why not let them sign off from U23 commitments by helping win a trophy and for that matter, why not see if any of the first team fancied playing with that goal in mind or have they all gone on holiday

As said because they’ve then had 2 weeks less rest than the rest of the first team, trying to give them the best chance of hitting the ground running next season. They wouldn’t necessarily be signing off from 23’s games, could very well be they find themselves out of contention for whatever reason next season and drop back down for a patch. End of the day the activities revolve around the first team. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Pearson is playing for Wales soon, Bell is injured, Conway and Scott are deemed as first team players now.

Pearson being away with Wales…. Scott away with England perhaps? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

To paraphrase, Toby said that they were deemed to have progressed to the first team squad so weren't considered. Seemed a bit odd to me.

This is the kind of focus we have lacked previously, and is now being provided by NP.

The success of the first team is paramount, and everything else comes second.

Imagine Scott or Conway playing in that game and suffering an injury that prevents them starting next season fully fit, what would people think then?

The U23 team is the new reserve team, players who are not yet considered regular first team squad members get the chance to impress, players coming back from injury get a run out.

Next season is critical for the future of the club and putting potential first team match winners in the firing line unnecessarily is not the approach NP will take, he has already said that the young players need looking after.

I’m sure both lads would have wanted to play, youngsters always do, it reminds me of the Chris Garland story that he signed a pro contract and then injured himself playing with his mates in Ashton Park for fun, not something that would be tolerated today.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Well. A game that swung multiple ways with us on top for spells and then them on top for spells. Very evenly matched. 
 

Our MOTM definitely Towler. Very solid display. 
Closely followed by Pring. Defended solidly and was a constant threat going forward too. 
Edwards is lively but needs to learn when to bring other players in. 
Benarous looked skilful in his brief appearance. 
I thought we really struggled in central midfield. Owers & Morton didn’t ever impose themselves on the game, and neither did Smith when he came on for Owers. 
Britton didn’t get much service to work off, so it was hard to judge his performance, but he put himself about when he had to. 
 

Their big man up front, Josh Andrews, was a right handful. 
 

Overall a decent watch and we’ve got some decent players in there. Probably only Pring from all of them would be in my first team squad next season though. 
Midfield very weak. Glad we have Scott coming through there, as none of the 3 that played in there today looked likely to make the first team. 

Pretty much my impression too.

We have decent individuals as we do in the first team squad.

However...we just don't seem to want to control games.

It seems more about energy, and making the opposition make mistakes, then pounce on that...rather then controlling the ball and passing with possession.

We seem very much a counter attacking side based on forcing mistakes. It's very unattractive to watch. 

We literally don't control anything for any period of time. The ball is a hot potato. 

If only Britton had some legs...I actually think I was physically fitter in my prime than him. Shame...I'll be surprised if he ever makes it past this level. Absolute natural goal scorer and forward/striker with brain but no legs whatsoever...would love it if proved otherwise, but seriously? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

If only Britton had some legs...I actually think I was physically fitter in my prime than him. Shame...I'll be surprised if he ever makes it past this level. Absolute natural goal scorer and forward/striker with brain but no legs whatsoever...would love it if proved otherwise, but seriously? 

This is Brittons 2nd full season at the club? Having previously been on loan at a couple of non-league and actually playing for Mangotsfield for 1 season. I understand he was playing Saturday football and working at the same time before that?

If he has a full season of U23 + 1st team exposure/training, his athleticism, stamina, etc are things that can be improved. He's not going to turn into Weimann, but he'll be more mobile than Fam. I'd prefer if our coaches had to train some stamina into a player, rather than teach them how to finish!

No point writing off a young forward who has currently played 20mins of 1st team football, scored in it and shown more desire than a £5.3m striker did for the last 6 months...

Edited by grifty
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Pretty much my impression too.

We have decent individuals as we do in the first team squad.

However...we just don't seem to want to control games.

It seems more about energy, and making the opposition make mistakes, then pounce on that...rather then controlling the ball and passing with possession.

We seem very much a counter attacking side based on forcing mistakes. It's very unattractive to watch. 

We literally don't control anything for any period of time. The ball is a hot potato. 

If only Britton had some legs...I actually think I was physically fitter in my prime than him. Shame...I'll be surprised if he ever makes it past this level. Absolute natural goal scorer and forward/striker with brain but no legs whatsoever...would love it if proved otherwise, but seriously? 

I agree in todays game @spudski but in other games I have seen, Alex Scott has controlled the midfield and we have looked far more effective with Pearson and Bell for him to hit. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, grifty said:

This is Brittons 2nd full season at the club? Having previously been on loan at a couple of non-league and actually playing for Mangotsfield for 1 season. I understand he was playing Saturday football and working at the same time before that?

If he has a full season of U23 + 1st team exposure/training, his athleticism, stamina, etc are things that can be improved. He's not going to turn into Weimann, but he'll be more mobile than Fam. I'd prefer if our coaches had to train some stamina into a player, rather than teach them how to finish!

No point writing off a young forward who has currently played 20mins of 1st team football, scored in it and shown more desire than a £5.3m striker did for the last 6 months...

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't describe Britton as a hard working front man. He's much more in the traditional target man mould in terms of running. 

What impressed me today is he had a spell around 80 minutes where he upped his work rate and did a little extra harrying, perhaps on instruction or worried about being subbed...

I think Britton should look to an established player like Chris Wood at Burnley to see how a modern day big-man can operate at a high level.

Wood has nearly 50 Premier League goals on his CV and is a real handful. He's probably been a good, disciplined pro to get there.

 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched the match on BCTV and, as one who has always enjoyed watching youth football, I'm grateful that it was shown.

The quality of the performance and the ability of individuals is so encouraging for the future of our club. Especially as at least five players who are eligible for the under 23's were not selected for varying reasons. Probert, Tinnion and the coaches are apparently doing a very good job.

The formation of the side, I believe, may show some influence from Nigel Pearson with 3-5-2 or was it 3-4-3 or 3-6-1. Whichever one, they all appear to me as a counter attacking system. Isn't that how NP set up Leicester City to get out of the Championship and continued by Ranieri to win the Premier League?

Is it the way that we have been trying to play for, at least, the last three seasons. Why we have won plenty of away games but dull and boring at home? Is this how NP will play next season? 

Is my view of this is correct or near the mark, or am I way off? I acknowledge that it won the Premier for Leicester so it's effective and I, and thousands more, would be delighted if we could do the same. After three seasons of total boredom at home games, I want us to be more positive and proactive, especially at home, rather than reactionary.

I'd appreciate some thoughts from those posters with much more experience of systems/ formations. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I watched the match on BCTV and, as one who has always enjoyed watching youth football, I'm grateful that it was shown.

The quality of the performance and the ability of individuals is so encouraging for the future of our club. Especially as at least five players who are eligible for the under 23's were not selected for varying reasons. Probert, Tinnion and the coaches are apparently doing a very good job.

The formation of the side, I believe, may show some influence from Nigel Pearson with 3-5-2 or was it 3-4-3 or 3-6-1. Whichever one, they all appear to me as a counter attacking system. Isn't that how NP set up Leicester City to get out of the Championship and continued by Ranieri to win the Premier League?

Is it the way that we have been trying to play for, at least, the last three seasons. Why we have won plenty of away games but dull and boring at home? Is this how NP will play next season? 

Is my view of this is correct or near the mark, or am I way off? I acknowledge that it won the Premier for Leicester so it's effective and I, and thousands more, would be delighted if we could do the same. After three seasons of total boredom at home games, I want us to be more positive and proactive, especially at home, rather than reactionary.

I'd appreciate some thoughts from those posters with much more experience of systems/ formations. 

 

The problem is it's not as easy as having a pre-match tactical meeting saying, OK, we're going to play possession football now.

LJs ideology seemed to be high intensity press which was 'successful' when utilising Reid and Pato when we went on our good run. After that we seemed to have a mis-match of players signed not particularly fitting to one style but a variety.

This continued under Holden and if you think of our striker line-up at the end of the season. Wells, Martin, Fam, Semenyo. What footballing philosophy could you pick up from looking at those players? They are all very different. Due to Holdens inexperience, it would be easier to plump for a counter attacking tactic as it is 'safer'. Sit back, absorb pressure, break away when getting the ball. Problem was, we don't have any particularly quick players. Wells isn't quick and was deployed at left wing, Fam runs like an oil tanker, Martin, runs like a 40 year old, Semenyo is quick but not direct to the goal, Palmer slows the play down, Pato isn't quick. We had a style but not the players to fit it.

If Pearson can bring in 5/6 players who suit a counter attacking formation it will be far better than playing counter attacking football with players who don't suit it.

I can see us bringing in 2/3 wingers, 1 striker, 1/2 centre backs, a centre mid and a full back or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, grifty said:

The problem is it's not as easy as having a pre-match tactical meeting saying, OK, we're going to play possession football now.

LJs ideology seemed to be high intensity press which was 'successful' when utilising Reid and Pato when we went on our good run. After that we seemed to have a mis-match of players signed not particularly fitting to one style but a variety.

This continued under Holden and if you think of our striker line-up at the end of the season. Wells, Martin, Fam, Semenyo. What footballing philosophy could you pick up from looking at those players? They are all very different. Due to Holdens inexperience, it would be easier to plump for a counter attacking tactic as it is 'safer'. Sit back, absorb pressure, break away when getting the ball. Problem was, we don't have any particularly quick players. Wells isn't quick and was deployed at left wing, Fam runs like an oil tanker, Martin, runs like a 40 year old, Semenyo is quick but not direct to the goal, Palmer slows the play down, Pato isn't quick. We had a style but not the players to fit it.

If Pearson can bring in 5/6 players who suit a counter attacking formation it will be far better than playing counter attacking football with players who don't suit it.

I can see us bringing in 2/3 wingers, 1 striker, 1/2 centre backs, a centre mid and a full back or two.

17/18 season had been a success up to Christmas. 

But the Pato and Reid partnership only really worked in 3 league games and 1 cup game.

Could arguably say 2 cup games in that good performance at the Etihad. But I think that Man U win has made fans think the Pato and Reid partnership was a lot more successful than it actually was.

I think with Holden he had a clear system in place in the 352 that I think may have worked quite well once the likes of Dasilva and Williams returned. But not only did they not return, we ended up with most of the others out for long periods which made it an impossible job for him and possibly anyone.

We had mobile box to box players who could get up and support Martin and pace in Wells or Semenyo alongside Martin. Sessegnon has good pace who I think would have been right wing back over Hunt, and Dasilva far more mobile than Rowe.

A mobile defence too that Holden wanted to push high and all good on the ball. To be honest I was very excited about what Dean was trying to do. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One player who seems to go under the radar is kadji. Very strong midfielder who is great at holding onto the ball, passing and tackling. Great anchor in midfield that had great physical attributes too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

One player who seems to go under the radar is kadji. Very strong midfielder who is great at holding onto the ball, passing and tackling. Great anchor in midfield that had great physical attributes too.

Yeah he looks like he could become a very good player. Very big and strong for his age and technically very good. City rate him highly apparently

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

How tall is Joe Low!? Giant of a centre half

20210521_150327.jpg

I said a few months back that I saw a photo of him celebrating a goal and he looked mahoosive.  Was injured first half of the season, then came in, but missed recent games.  Growing pains?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If anyone’s interested Forest and Birmingham have gone Cat 1

How have they managed that? Must have some serious infrastructure to achieve that in the championship. Watch them go one a big drive to poach all top talent in lower category academies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BOSRed said:

How have they managed that? Must have some serious infrastructure to achieve that in the championship. Watch them go one a big drive to poach all top talent in lower category academies

A lot of championship clubs are cat 1

Blackburn, Stoke, (now) Fulham and WBA, Forest, Birmingham, Derby, Boro, Reading, Norwich. Sunderland in league 1. 
 

it’s not hard you just have to be willing to invest more per season to meet the requirements 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...