IGNORED

The Coaches' Voice - LJ

GlastonburyRed

I see 'on the socials' that our former Head Coach is down at Millfield School today working with the boy's first XI (with Jamie Mc joining him, word has it). Presumably, when an opportunity presents itself the two of them will be looking to be recruited as a duo, which is probably unsurprising given the length of time they have known each other for. I will be interested to see how they get on and what level they will be looking to make their return at, one of the 'big clubs' in League 1 perhaps, or will they have their sights set higher?

[Apologies to RR for starting a thread involving former club matters]

22 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I will be interested to see how they get on and what level they will be looking to make their return at, one of the 'big clubs' in League 1 perhaps, or will they have their sights set higher?

Johnson will turn up in the Championship sometime soon. There will be plenty of jobs going soon (Derby, SW would be my early favourites to change manager). Cant see him wanting to drop to L1 unless its Sunderland etc

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

i dont really see a long list of clubs wanting to take him? 

You dont think ? I disagree. He will be good in interviews - all the buzz words blah blah, RB Leipzig, box entries, Pep Guardiola, drone technology etc etc. He will point to the players he bought and sold for profit, and point to season on season improvements (apart from the last one) in league position

I dont know how expensive he is compared to others but there will be a few interested i suspect

20 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Johnson will turn up in the Championship sometime soon. There will be plenty of jobs going soon (Derby, SW would be my early favourites to change manager). Cant see him wanting to drop to L1 unless its Sunderland etc

Nottingham Forest?

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Hughton has more points than Holden in the last 5 games...........................

*awaits shitstorm*

I would have picked Hughton myself but if we are going to be that silly about it I would say not enough points more than Holden so far to have been the Messiah..........

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You dont think ? I disagree. He will be good in interviews - all the buzz words blah blah, RB Leipzig, box entries, Pep Guardiola, drone technology etc etc. He will point to the players he bought and sold for profit, and point to season on season improvements (apart from the last one) in league position

I dont know how expensive he is compared to others but there will be a few interested i suspect

Its nothing personal against him, just that yes he can talk the talk and is media savvy but when it comes to it, he was unable to produce a team with any consistency despite spending an absolute shed load of money on players.

30 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im sure its a matter of time, and i dont particularly have any ill will towards lj, but i dont really see a long list of clubs wanting to take him? 

Perhaps we'll never know unless & until he's appointed somewhere. Maybe he's not interested at the moment, or depending on his compensation package from City it might not benefit him to get straight back in. I could see him taking an assistant coaching role in the Prem rather than a Championship Head Coach role.

Lee Johnson's LinkedIn profile anyone?

You are welcome

About me :

Experienced Head Coach having managed over 380 games at Championship and league 1 level. A demonstrated history of developing players with over £100 million worth of players developed and sold during tenures at Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City. Skilled in Sports Psychology, Football/Soccer , Player Development, Sports Management, Culture and Leadership.

On the face of it LJ might interest a few clubs, until and if they do a little research on him. Then the words barge and pole are likely to be used. Youth football is about his level in my opinion, that is unless, he's taken a good long hard look at himself, his coaching methods and his insistence on always striving to improve on things that were ok in the first place. Resulting in the lack of a straight line to follow and the consistency that brings.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Im sure its a matter of time, and i dont particularly have any ill will towards lj, but i dont really see a long list of clubs wanting to take him? 

I think clubs who will be in a similar position to where we were when he joined us would see him and hope he could do a similar job taking them from the risk of the job to solid top half/top 10, so currently Derby if they get rid of Cocu (I'd love them to give Liam Rosenior a chance though), Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff would probably all appeal to him. Or perhaps he's happy to just sit out and not work during Covid, could hardly blame him tbh.

49 minutes ago, Rich said:

On the face of it LJ might interest a few clubs, until and if they do a little research on him. Then the words barge and pole are likely to be used. Youth football is about his level in my opinion, that is unless, he's taken a good long hard look at himself, his coaching methods and his insistence on always striving to improve on things that were ok in the first place. Resulting in the lack of a straight line to follow and the consistency that brings.

Not sure this is completely accurate.
A bit of due diligence on LJ would show that he improved the position of the team every full season and that was whilst selling his best players bringing in a lot of money for the football club.

He developed or at least gave gifted young players the opportunity to showcase their talents which brought them to the attention of the premier league clubs for a lower/mid championship club he is the ideal replacement. 
LJ has plenty of faults and I was pleased to see him leave but it is unfair to suggest that he is not a championship standard manager. 

I took Joe to a chess tournament at Millfield a few years back.  It was a different world.  When we took the wrong turning and saw a sign for Equestrian Centre, and saw how massive it was you realise why they produce sports people.

As for the chess, they had their own Grand Master as a coach, our kids had the old bloke from the local chess club giving up his lunchtimes during his retirement.

Joe actually did well, joint winning his age bracket in the morning comp.

In the afternoon session they made it a coaching session from the GM.  He had an iPad connected to a big cinema screen and said he was gonna set the kids puzzles.  In came a bloke with 80 iPads, one for each kid to do the puzzles on their own tablet.  In Joe’s school it would be one iPad for the whole school.

As I said a different world.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I took Joe to a chess tournament at Millfield a few years back.  It was a different world.  When we took the wrong turning and saw a sign for Equestrian Centre, and saw how massive it was you realise why they produce sports people.

As for the chess, they had their own Grand Master as a coach, our kids had the old bloke from the local chess club giving up his lunchtimes during his retirement.

In the afternoon session they made it a coaching session from the GM.  He had an iPad connected to a big cinema screen and said he was gonna set the kids puzzles.  In came a bloke with 80 iPads, one for each kid to do the puzzles on their own tablet.  In Joe’s school it would be one iPad for the whole school.

Yep. My lad played in a school cup game down there a few years ago. Free cooked meal in the school restaurant after the game.........

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yep. My lad played in a school cup game down there a few years ago. Free cooked meal in the school restaurant after the game.........

Well 10 years ago we were promised this too. Then we beat them and suddenly there was no meal to be had. Strange...

2 hours ago, Sparko said:

A bit of due diligence on LJ would show that he improved the position of the team every full season and that was whilst selling his best players bringing in a lot of money for the football club.

He developed or at least gave gifted young players the opportunity to showcase their talents which brought them to the attention of the premier league clubs for a lower/mid championship club he is the ideal replacement. 
LJ has plenty of faults and I was pleased to see him leave but it is unfair to suggest that he is not a championship standard manager. 

I think Lee might be attractive as a "steady the ship" manager, so if you were a club who wanted to make a transition from the reputation of 2 managers a season to something longer term. He probably wouldn't get you promoted, but he'd be a reasonably safe and inoffensive pair of hands for a year or two. A couple of mid table finishes with a bit of a time at both ends of the table most likely.

Alternatively if you were a new team who've just come up I think Lee would be a good shout as a Championship manager with some experience but not enough that a top team would go for him, and provide you with a decent chance you wont go down - and he probably wouldn't destroy your team in the process even if you did.

As I said before though, what I think he should do it go for a L1 team who maybe finished 7th - 10th the year before and take them up, although I'd guess he'd see it as below him to do so I reckon that'd be best for his career.

2 hours ago, Sparko said:

When you say not completely accurate, you mean in your opinion.  Because my statement was my opinion.

I'll give him credit for keeping his job in charge of the team, while all that happened. The resources at his disposal were greater than any manager previously employed by BCFC had enjoyed. The team of coaches and  the backroom staff employed to find those players and then develop them were far more instrumental in their development than LJ, in my opinion and there's a natural evolving cycle anyway. The same could be said for players that went backwards or, even went backwards. some (plenty) just left because they weren't good enough. The improvement in league position was negligible, when compared to the resources thrown at him to improve that position. Almost as if SL had decided that to save face he'd better make sure he can't fail.

As for being a championship standard manager, we'll have to disagree. I saw him out thought on so many occasions by other managers that it was embarrassing. He had little other than a reasonably well thought out plan A, which was often negated and shown up by opposition managers. His main plan was to stay in the game for 60 mins, then introduce  a player that might exploit tired legs.

Sorry if that is contrary to your opinion but it is mine, based on a considerable amount of experience witnessing our clubs managers over the years. This one presided over the most boring time (two and a half seasons), I have ever witnessed in all the years I've been coming to AG.

I have no love in with Cotterill who was stupid in his belligerent approach but, he wasn't SL's man and it showed when he wasn't backed. SL couldn't wait to get his man in and then back him.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think Lee might be attractive as a "steady the ship" manager, so if you were a club who wanted to make a transition from the reputation of 2 managers a season to something longer term. He probably wouldn't get you promoted, but he'd be a reasonably safe and inoffensive pair of hands for a year or two. A couple of mid table finishes with a bit of a time at both ends of the table most likely.

Alternatively if you were a new team who've just come up I think Lee would be a good shout as a Championship manager with some experience but not enough that a top team would go for him, and provide you with a decent chance you wont go down - and he probably wouldn't destroy your team in the process even if you did.

As I said before though, what I think he should do it go for a L1 team who maybe finished 7th - 10th the year before and take them up, although I'd guess he'd see it as below him to do so I reckon that'd be best for his career.

I tend to agree with this, there's a good amount of historically big clubs knocking around in the lower reaches now. Before you had replied I was thinking of a club similar to the size of Coventry and, despite their now Championship status, I think that would be where I could see LJ turning next in terms of size of club. Mind you, it could end up like his Dad with a move to League 1 precipitating a slow descent down the leagues. Not such a disaster with GJ at his age, but something LJ would probably be keen to avoid (although a definite risk I'd have thought). I certainly get the sense that he would bethe kind of character that would view matters as 'unfinished business'.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I live 15 minutes away from Millfield, one of the sports I play we get to use their facilities for training and they're excellent. Also have the benefit of some of their younger lads boosting our numbers for matches. Got given a tour of the school and their facilities as I know one of the staff members, they've just built a brand new indoor cricket and golf centre which looks insane.

Archived