IGNORED

Gary Johnson’s Gulls

Hxj

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I had a pint in babbacombe, with some torquay fans, they couldnt speak highly enough of him.

They recognise his work there.

They informed the next pub down in babbacombe, was run by a gashead.

Great manager at this level and i hope he keeps them bouncing around the ground. Good luck to him and I wish him all the best 

I know someone is going to say he’s doing well because he’s a just a good non league manager but there is a lot more to it than that. There have been a lot of experienced league managers who’ve gone to non league clubs and have failed. It’s difficult in the National League as established clubs such as Wrexham and Notts County have found out. It was only a couple of years ago, when he joined them, that Gary Johnson’s Torquay (as we must call them) was in the National League South. Onwards and upwards!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I know someone is going to say he’s doing well because he’s a just a good non league manager but there is a lot more to it than that. There have been a lot of experienced league managers who’ve gone to non league clubs and have failed. It’s difficult in the National League as established clubs such as Wrexham and Notts County have found out. It was only a couple of years ago, when he joined them, that Gary Johnson’s Torquay (as we must call them) was in the National League South. Onwards and upwards!

He’s a good manager....he’s tasted success on more than one occasion.  He might have some limitations but to drop levels doesn’t mean it’s easy either.  He’s done well at Torquay.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

He has the advantage over those other experienced managers by learning his trade as an inexperienced manager at that level.  He knows what it's all about. 

I think the Championship ultimately proved a step too far for him - I'm not sure he's demonstrated the ability to work with players of the calibre we have now, but he did work wonders for us with what we had at the time.

Fair play to him and really hope that Torquay manage to go the distance this year.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

He has the advantage over those other experienced managers by learning his trade as an inexperienced manager at that level.  He knows what it's all about. 

I think the Championship ultimately proved a step too far for him - I'm not sure he's demonstrated the ability to work with players of the calibre we have now, but he did work wonders for us with what we had at the time.

Fair play to him and really hope that Torquay manage to go the distance this year.

I think he did okay in the championship when you consider what came and happened afterwards. His time had come to an end then though and he maybe needed a period of time away from the game after that. I reckon he'll be the lower league version of Warnock and working into his 70's. He is 67 already so not a wild prediction.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

A bit harsh considering he got us to the brink of the top flight - our only manager since Dicks to get close.

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

Best manager we have had in my lifetime supporting City 

Definitely in the discussion for me

Certainly as my favourite accolade

Really turned the Club around , and  produced a feelgood factor and atmosphere ,, as did Mr Cotts 

If there;s real hope with Dean , he's far more GJ or Cotts than he is SOD or LJ

On 03/11/2020 at 13:27, Rob k said:

Best manager we have had in my lifetime supporting City 

If you are too young to have been around for the Alan Dicks era, it is unarguable that he took us closer to the top flight than anyone since AD.

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I thought Danny Wilson's football was very attractive - a shame about Brighton and the lack of Lita in Cardiff....

Absolutely right. Great football to watch, hugely entertaining such a shame at Cardiff. Had Miller not missed that tap in  at the County ground.............:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Was that the header on to the bar?

I remember being at that game but never tied it in with being the same season

Yes, looked like it was easier to score. I think most of us were celebrating as he put his head to it!

03-04, and a win that day would have really put us in the driving seat for an automatic place, avoiding that horrible day at Cardiff!

(on the plus side, I think that was the season we had Hartlepool in the play off semi, and that game at Ashton Gate almost made the disappointments worthwhile!)

Archived