IGNORED

Football is finally coming home - For AFC Wimbledon

phantom

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I live a couple of miles from the ground so look forward to visiting when it opens to the public. @Yellow&Blue&Red, is there any room to expand the ground? I've passed the stadium a number of times recently and you wouldn't really know it's there from the road. It appears to be quite boxed in by the apartments which were built the finance build and the club has quite a big catchment area. It's a great story and I'm glad that Wimbledon are home! 

Yes the current 9,300 capacity can be extended to 20,000

3 hours ago, jrabrewer said:

Hmm. You should read up on their treatment of Kingstonian who were effectively left homeless thanks to AFC's dealings over Kingsmeadow and now groundshare with Corinthian Casuals. You would think a club who had been through that themselves would have had more of a conscience.

I don't blame you for getting the wrong end of the stick - there's been plenty of misreporting. But AFCW definitely did right by the Ks. When we bought the ground the terms of the deal meant we had to give them peppercorn rent. We did that, not out of charity, but because that was what the terms of the ground sale required. If we hadn't bought the ground then we'd both have been homeless. So although we did it for self interest, it meant they had a home for 10 years longer than they would have if we weren't there. When we sold to Chelsea, we were obliged to make a 1-off payment to the Ks. We went WELL beyond what was contractually required and gave them £1m. I think that's double what's required. It's sad that that's not enough for them to buy their own ground, but I don't believe we were obliged to do more.

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I live a couple of miles from the ground so look forward to visiting when it opens to the public. @Yellow&Blue&Red, is there any room to expand the ground? I've passed the stadium a number of times recently and you wouldn't really know it's there from the road. It appears to be quite boxed in by the apartments which were built the finance build and the club has quite a big catchment area. It's a great story and I'm glad that Wimbledon are home! 

Thanks to you and others for positive comments. The ground is pretty compact. We can expand from 9,000 to 20,000. That's exciting potential, but for now I'm just excited that we've got our own stadium. And conference facilities and fan zone and five-a-side football pitch (our L1 equivalent of having the flyers next door ?).

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Il bet there was 20 greyhound stadiums in london at one point.

Romford , crayford left which is out of london to me.

My dads friend used to run greyhounds at eastville, they ran him at catford once, and the whole motorway after eastville,

He was running around the back of the van like crazy wondering what was going on!

Ended up coming last!

The only reason crayford and romford survive is because the bookies fund the track,

A good night out was always guaranteed at the dogs.

It did stock cars as well, Wimbledon Stadium, but I never got to go to that.

Archived