IGNORED

Today is make it or break it

bristolcitysweden

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's time to step up it up if we are in for a serious promotion push

More interested in deliver

Depends on what your expectations are.   

From this season I wanted to see younger players given a chance and for us to develop into a side capable of playing entertaining attacking football according to some coherent philosophy or identity.  Some encouraging (and at times concerning) signs at times but early days.  

Until we have cracked that I don't see us progressing in any sustainable way, even if we do fluke making it into the playoffs.  

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t make or break is it?!? There’s 36 games left after tonight & we’ve shown ourselves how quickly form can turn around! Anyone can beat anyone on their day in this division & it will happen throughout the rest of this season & there will be plenty more injuries & suspensions to come. Especially with the way the fixtures are now.

From the moment our fixtures were published this last week was always going to be a struggle, playing both Bournemouth & Norwich with just a 3 day gap was always going to be difficult so I’m not sure what anyone was really expecting?

Just now, Tipps69 said:

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t make or break is it?!? There’s 36 games left after tonight & we’ve shown ourselves how quickly form can turn around! Anyone can beat anyone on their day in this division & it will happen throughout the rest of this season & there will be plenty more injuries & suspensions to come. Especially with the way the fixtures are now.

From the moment our fixtures were published this last week was always going to be a struggle, playing both Bournemouth & Norwich with just a 3 day gap was always going to be difficult so I’m not sure what anyone was really expecting?

Very true.

you could argue “streaky” but you could also argue strength of fixtures too.  We started off with “easier” games and have just gone through “tougher” fixtures.

We haven’t really played any middle of the table teams yet, bar Barnsley..

95644150-1135-4D00-85C1-84631093A999.thumb.jpeg.def5725b098d8e59cf4303a2b9b8e089.jpeg

I think Huddersfield and Cardiff (both away) will be tough games but we shouldn’t go to either in fear.  I’d like us to break our winless run before the international break, although I’d probably take 2 draws (with decent performances too).

The challenge is always going to be being top of the mid-table sides, and picking up points against the best teams.  Had we got a draw (yeah, ifs buts maybes) against Boro wed be 6th.  Had we hung on against Bournemouth too we’d be 4th.  Then again perhaps we might’ve dropped points elsewhere, so swings and roundabouts.

Add in injuries too.  Mawson especially.

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

And the prize for the earliest ever ‘is this a must win game’ post goes to....

Thought that was Coventry?

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very true.

you could argue “streaky” but you could also argue strength of fixtures too.  We started off with “easier” games and have just gone through “tougher” fixtures.

We haven’t really played any middle of the table teams yet, bar Barnsley..

95644150-1135-4D00-85C1-84631093A999.thumb.jpeg.def5725b098d8e59cf4303a2b9b8e089.jpeg

I think Huddersfield and Cardiff (both away) will be tough games but we shouldn’t go to either in fear.  I’d like us to break our winless run before the international break, although I’d probably take 2 draws (with decent performances too).

The challenge is always going to be being top of the mid-table sides, and picking up points against the best teams.  Had we got a draw (yeah, ifs buts maybes) against Boro wed be 6th.  Had we hung on against Bournemouth too we’d be 4th.  Then again perhaps we might’ve dropped points elsewhere, so swings and roundabouts.

Add in injuries too.  Mawson especially.

Thought that was Coventry?

I don’t class this as being ‘streaky’, LJ was rightly classed as ‘streaky’ because we would win numerous games & then lose numerous games.

Under DH, we have thrown draws in with losses, although admittedly it’s on a lesser number of games.

I just don’t see anyone running away with the league or getting cast aside at the bottom of the league, it the most open it’s been for years & while some of our supporters seem to be getting ahead of themselves, no one from the bookies to the pundits expected us to be challenging for promotion through the play-offs or automatically so why are our supporters expecting it? On the back of a 4 game winning run?

And they say football fans are fickle?

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t class this as being ‘streaky’, LJ was rightly classed as ‘streaky’ because we would win numerous games & then lose numerous games.

Under DH, we have thrown drawse challenging for to in with losses, although admittedly it’s on a lesser number of games.

I just don’t see anyone running away with the league or getting cast aside at the bottom of the league, it the most open it’s been for years & while some of our supporters seem to be getting ahead of themselves, no one from the bookies to the pundits expected us to be challenging for promotion through the play-offs or automatically so why are our supporters expecting it? On the back of a 4 game winning run?

And they say football fans are fickle?

We are challenging for better than 8th in Mark Ashtons wet dreams

23 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We are challenging for better than 8th in Mark Ashtons wet dreams

And because that is what Mark Ashton has said, that is what you believe we will achieve?

You know what excuse is going to be used by him don’t you? “If we didn’t get major injuries to Mawson, Walsh, Williams & Weimann we would of been challenging”. Of course, there’s no way of arguing that point because the proof currently stands that that could well be the case.

I’m not sure what your politicians / prime minister are like in Sweden Tommy but I definitely don’t believe what I’m told here in England & I class Mark Ashton as someone of a similar ilk, so I take what he says with a pinch of salt, it maybe advisable?

Win tonight and our first ten games will have yielded 17 points. Bang on the 1.7ppg you generally need to get safely you into the playoffs (1.7*46 is 79 points and the average points for 6th is about 74). A draw gives 1.5ppg which would lead to the magical figure of 69 points across a season. Nice. Again, 69 gets you well into the top ten, and with a decent chance of 6th. Admittedly if we lose tonight we'll be on 1.4ppg. Across a whole season that yields 64 points. That generally gets you into the top ten, but has never been enough to finish in the top 6.

Maintenance of the pattern of results we have over these first 10 games would, in your average season, get us comfortably into the top 10, and any improvement (whether by luck or judgment) should see us finish in the top 6.

So, even if we lose, we are far from 'broken'.

This is from Feb last year and gives the averages, maximums and minimums for the 2004/05 - 2018/19 seasons (source: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-relegation-promotion-points-stoke-3893662?

0_championship.jpg

• Admin
2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The team assembled on big money under Mark Ashton is not  good enough for a promotion push and he will hang high.

Big money in Bristol City terms, or big money compared to the rest of this league?

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Make it break it. I know we are pussy Bristol City F.C. Always an excuse. Never good enough.

I really do wonder why you support the side, you are nearly always moaning and bitching about something to do with the club

Archived