IGNORED

Today is make it or break it

bristolcitysweden

34 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We need to just pick up points here and there at present then get more wins when our injured defenders and midfielders return to the squad, the current crop of players are midtable at best

You can’t choose who you get them against....game every point you can when you can.

6 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Depends on what your expectations are.   

From this season I wanted to see younger players given a chance and for us to develop into a side capable of playing entertaining attacking football according to some coherent philosophy or identity.  Some encouraging (and at times concerning) signs at times but early days.  

Until we have cracked that I don't see us progressing in any sustainable way, even if we do fluke making it into the playoffs.  

Jump in a time machine and head back to the Cotterill days - or even the early days of Lee Johnson's leadership

For the best part of 20 years now, I’ve questioned SL’s judgement when it comes to choosing managers. That same judgement is responsible for putting two clowns (MA & JL) in charge to run the club. 

Go and prove me and others wrong and get Paul Cook. We could do far worse. The longer this goes on, the worse it will get.

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

Said it before, but the club is never going to deliver what we all want. Mid table mediocrity again hopefully which is better than a relegation dog fight. Losing faith currently with this club. Hard going for me....

Deliver a top coach for the egg chasers but, despite serious wonga spent on football, its been trusted to novices in recent years. 
Experience is the key but for whatever reason SL doesnt seem to want it for the football. 

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Deliver a top coach for the egg chasers but, despite serious wonga spent on football, its been trusted to novices in recent years. 
Experience is the key but for whatever reason SL doesnt seem to want it for the football. 

The club is/has been badly run by Ashton & JL for some time now. Sell your best players, employ a cheap option as manager/coach who is a YES man is what the boss likes.

Boils my p*ss.

I still feel our performances have to be seen in the light of six injuries, including to four key players.

In that sense, I'm not (yet) worried about relegation as I think that we will look a different team once we have Williams, Walsh, Baker and maybe even Mawson available after Christmas. 

But, unlucky as we have been with injuries, Holden isn't currently showing any ability to adapt to circumstances and the plan seems to be to play the same way we were playing when Mawson and Weimann were fit and in the team but without those players doing the key bits to make that formation work, or anyone who can replicate their roles. 

Whether we like it or not, Holden is in the job and I want him to make it work but doing pretty much the same thing game in, game out when it clearly isn't currently working certainly isn't filling me with confidence and nobody is ever going to convince me Rowe is suitable centre back cover. 

1) If the DH appointment doesn’t work, as a club, we will hopefully have learnt a valuable lesson.

2) We must then appoint some experience with a proven record, SL isn’t stupid.

3) Ashton will have to go as he’s hung his coat on these ‘breath of fresh air’ appointments, common sense have to happen as fan pressure will undoubtedly make a difference.

4) If it’s a stinker of a season, at least none of us could go, albeit we miss our visits greatly.

5) We’ve all saved a lot of money due to Covid through not being able to go.

6) If I am wrong and this season turns out to be great, well done DH, Up the City ?

Any others that come to mind..?

46 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Pat Lam and Lee Johnson were on pretty much the same wages.....  There's a gulf in finances between the two sports.  If you consider that people were wanting Hughton, who would probably cost twice what Lam & LJ cost at least, and you're still not able to compare manager standings.  

I wish people would stop with the Bristol Bears comparison bullshit.  There isn't any.  The investment in the football side of Bristol Sport dwarfs the investment in the rugby, but the difference in cost of players, coaches etc is massive between the two sports.  It's a lazy dig.

1 hour ago, tin said:

For the best part of 20 years now, I’ve questioned SL’s judgement when it comes to choosing managers. That same judgement is responsible for putting two clowns (MA & JL) in charge to run the club. 

Go and prove me and others wrong and get Paul Cook. We could do far worse. The longer this goes on, the worse it will get.

Well, I didn’t reply to this thread as I didn’t believe tonight was make or break as the OP said. I have no idea why my post in on this thread. 

That said, I stand by my comments on SL, MA and JL, and I have reservations over Holden, who comes across well but his inexperience is being exposed. 

Semenyo’s individual brilliance won the game for us tonight. We’d done very little until he came on. I suspect that was more luck than judgment, in the same way Nagy played well after Bakinson’s late withdrawal.

Schoolboy defending nearly cost us again tonight, just like it did in recent weeks. Fail to wise up soon and eradicate those basic errors and we will really struggle, IMO. 

Let’s see if Holden learns enough from tonight to change formation, to either a 433 or 4231, for Cardiff on Friday. The writing’s on the wall if we stick to a 352 with the players we have available. 

As ever, I’m happy to eat a large slice of humble pie if Holden proves me wrong and I want him to do well as he will have brought a top-six finish to my club. Do I think Cook would have us setup better and more organised? Yes. Will it happen? No.

31 minutes ago, tin said:

Well, I didn’t reply to this thread as I didn’t believe tonight was make or break as the OP said. I have no idea why my post in on this thread. 

That said, I stand by my comments on SL, MA and JL, and I have reservations over Holden, who comes across well but his inexperience is being exposed. 

Semenyo’s individual brilliance won the game for us tonight. We’d done very little until he came on. I suspect that was more luck than judgment, in the same way Nagy played well after Bakinson’s late withdrawal.

Schoolboy defending nearly cost us again tonight, just like it did in recent weeks. Fail to wise up soon and eradicate those basic errors and we will really struggle, IMO. 

Let’s see if Holden learns enough from tonight to change formation, to either a 433 or 4231, for Cardiff on Friday. The writing’s on the wall if we stick to a 352 with the players we have available. 

As ever, I’m happy to eat a large slice of humble pie if Holden proves me wrong and I want him to do well as he will have brought a top-six finish to my club. Do I think Cook would have us setup better and more organised? Yes. Will it happen? No.

And even so, you can’t give DH the credit for the substitutes that he made & when he made them?

He’s going to make mistakes, name me one manager who doesn’t / hasn’t? No one is perfect in this game, if they were they’d be winning every game & every tournament. It doesn’t happen so why are you & anybody else expecting the impossible from someone?

DH is limited on his team selection because of unforeseen injuries & a ridiculous fixture schedule & a small matter of a global pandemic that is affecting the financial aspect of the club. 
I’d suggest he’s done very well so far this season, the football is better than what was put on display under LJ for his last 18 months or so of his time in charge &  despite him having arguably less tools at his disposal, he’s done alright.

And for the record, how’s the god like Hughton getting on at Forest? Despite him having arguably a better squad at his disposal? 

I really do struggle to understand some people & what they truly expect from life, not one pundit or bookie expected us to be above mid table & yet there are some on here that seem to expect us to be top of the league, never losing a game! Do you maybe think your expectations are a little unrealistic?

Archived