IGNORED

Target Achieved

Port Said Red

17 points from 10 games, we have achieved the magic 1.7 average that is often discussed as being a figure that will make you play off contenders. It shouldn't matter how you achieve that, but it's difficult to do whilst appearing consistent.

I was pleased we got the result tonight, because I have felt that we have had 3 pretty good performances and it would have been a shame to come out of them with no points at all. I think if we can keep performances to this level and get more clinical in front of goal, we will win more than we lose.

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

17 points from 10 games, we have achieved the magic 1.7 average that is often discussed as being a figure that will make you play off contenders. It shouldn't matter how you achieve that, but it's difficult to do whilst appearing consistent.

I was pleased we got the result tonight, because I have felt that we have had 3 pretty good performances and it would have been a shame to come out of them with no points at all. I think if we can keep performances to this level and get more clinical in front of goal, we will win more than we lose.

It's great, but we are actually already pretty clinical. We've scored 14 from 106 shots, 42 of which have been on target. That's a really good ratio of a) shots on target versus overall shots, and b) goals versus shots on target.

It's also almost exactly the same overall ratio that we averaged across last season. That's tells you it's sustainable across the season.

So the issue is generating more shots whilst retaining the ratio of shots on target and goals scored. If we can that 10.6 shots per game up to 12 or higher, then we'll be in a really strong position.

*Needless to say we'd need to simultaneously retain our current defensive numbers as well.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's great, but we are actually already pretty clinical. We've scored 14 from 106 shots, 42 of which have been on target. That's a really good ratio of a) shots on target versus overall shots, and b) goals versus shots on target.

It's also almost exactly the same overall ratio that we averaged across last season. That's tells you it's sustainable across the season.

So the issue is generating more shots whilst retaining the ratio of shots on target and goals scored. If we can that 10.6 shots per game up to 12 or higher, then we'll be in a really strong position.

*Needless to say we'd need to simultaneously retain our current defensive numbers as well.

I still think there was a point to be had on Saturday, the penalty miss and Martin's effort go for us on another day. But you are right, I think we are capable of creating even more, we seem to have developed a method of getting people free in the box from set plays, we just need to capitalise on that more. As much as would like us to be creating more chances from open play, I think statistics show that it's the set plays that gain a team the most at this level. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I still think there was a point to be had on Saturday, the penalty miss and Martin's effort go for us on another day. But you are right, I think we are capable of creating even more, we seem to have developed a method of getting people free in the box from set plays, we just need to capitalise on that more. As much as would like us to be creating more chances from open play, I think statistics show that it's the set plays that gain a team the most at this level. 

Personally I think we deserved a bit more from the Bournemouth game rather than Norwich, but that's opinions.

Interestingly we are generating more of the dreaded 'box entries' than we managed last season. So I guess at least LJ will be happy watching.

Dasilva is improving, and he's going to be a big threat over the next few months. If we can just get the middle sorted, and keep the defence tight (ie not like Saturday) then we can do something.

Ian on the Forever Bristol City podcast in August wasn’t far off then! I recall he said 18 from the first 10 (to some laughter). A good start especially given a brand new coaching team and the significant injuries (Baker, Mawson, Williams, Walsh, Weimann, and even Kalas and Dasilva have missed a few).

Archived