IGNORED

Plaster on a bullet wound.

ohhhshauntaylor

Make no mistake, that was a great win, and 17 points from 10 games is very satisfactory, 18 or 20 from 11 would be positive. 

However- tonight was pot luck from Deano- and hopefully he learns quickly that he cannot continue to make such obvious selection issues. 

3-5-2 was HIS formation, we recruited for that, we also sold to suit that, given the last 15 minutes tonight, that won’t be a formation we see again, he surely will refer to 4 at the back, and then probably a 3 in the middle, or a diamond 4 with 2 up top. 

Brunt was again very poor, he can’t start games and his signing is quickly looking the opposite of what we needed.  

When look back at our league games, yes it’s a result business, but we’ve papered over the cracks. 

Cov- awful from minute 1-80. 

Stoke- very good all round display. 

Forest- MOM Bentley, somehow nicked 3 points. 

Sheff W- awful first 50 mins, better the last 40 mins. 

Barnsley- awful first half, good 15 minute spell, costly error to drop 2 points. 

Middlesboro- awful. 

Swansea- poor. 

Bournemouth- solid display until negative changes.

Norwich- abysmal performance. 

Huddersfield- awful for 75 mins, great last 15 minutes. 

Maybe we (finally) have a lucky manager... but I for one hope I’m wrong in thinking our wheels will well and truly come off soon. 

Still, only 11 wins or 33 points from safety. 

COYR. 

Ive come on here to try and read something positive after tonights match, which is only the 2nd I've missed this season.

Funny how different people see it, after the Middlesbrough game (which was awful) I thought we picked up well against a Swansea side that are well on their way to making a top 6 spot their own. The Norwich game whilst there were clear errors for all to see, buendia and pukki have, and will continue to make far more established championship players than ours look poor, with their quality. 

If you thought the Norwich game was abysmal how did you survive last season? Mcinnes going into sod days? Those were abysmal. The Norwich defeat was a poor day for our entire team, coupled with a good day for their star attackers. If that's an abysmal performance then I am ****** delighted with how far we have come as a team.

Anyway I've had a beer but I think I'm trying to say I disagree, and hopefully as I scroll on I can read some optimism somewhere.

14 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Make no mistake, that was a great win, and 17 points from 10 games is very satisfactory, 18 or 20 from 11 would be positive. 

However- tonight was pot luck from Deano- and hopefully he learns quickly that he cannot continue to make such obvious selection issues. 

I'm disappointed Holden waited for 59 minutes and used a sub to tweak 352 to 433....too often we defended with two spare men in the first half.  You could argue he was looking for 0-0, but we aren't a team designed to defend for long periods.

3-5-2 was HIS formation, we recruited for that, we also sold to suit that, given the last 15 minutes tonight, that won’t be a formation we see again, he surely will refer to 4 at the back, and then probably a 3 in the middle, or a diamond 4 with 2 up top.

As long as he doesn't need wingers (which he doesn't) he's still ok.

Brunt was again very poor, he can’t start games and his signing is quickly looking the opposite of what we needed.

Was awful....second game running...but we haven't seen him with Bakinson - we almost did (headache!!!)

When look back at our league games, yes it’s a result business, but we’ve papered over the cracks. my views below

Cov- awful from minute 1-80. I disagree, Coventry had a good spell fro 15-45....we dominated last 30 mins.

Forest- MOM Bentley, somehow nicked 3 points. too much end to end....draw might've been fair.

Sheff W- awful first 50 mins, better the last 40 mins. an even first half where we were sloppy

Barnsley- awful first half, good 15 minute spell, costly error to drop 2 points. agree(ish)

Middlesboro- awful. even game against a team that came for 0-0

Swansea- poor. even game, we outpassed them overall, we finished strong 

Norwich- abysmal performance. abysmal start, felt like they toyed with us...but we showed some fight 

Huddersfield- awful for 75 mins, great last 15 minutes. agree

Maybe we (finally) have a lucky manager... but I for one hope I’m wrong in thinking our wheels will well and truly come off soon. 

COYR. 

Not quite pot luck! I thought the defensive shape was good today, and Holden indicated that they worked very hard on it (so not luck). We also created some decent chances and deserved the win in my view. He changed to three up front to go for it and given Huddersfield were leaving only one up front so we could lose a CB - I’d rather our manager was positive like this. I’m not convinced this means we ditch the back 3 in every match from now on. As for the 10 matches overall, we have 17 points which is decent. I sometimes think that only 3 nil wins every match would keep some people happy! That’s just not realistic in this division. 

2 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

When look back at our league games, yes it’s a result business, but we’ve papered over the cracks. 

Barnsley- awful first half, good 15 minute spell, costly error to drop 2 points. 

Middlesboro- awful. 

Swansea- poor. 

COYR. 

Just pot luck when he wins; managerial incompetence when he loses. Seems fair way of looking at things. 

You'd think after the last four years people would step back and look at performances more rather than use league position a yardstick  especially this early on.

If I had a pound for every time someone oh but look at our league position under LJ.........

There really hasn't been much of a change when it comes to performances, and I don't see us in the top ten if things don't improve. 

I'm pretty sure I saw a stat where once we concede the first goal we rarely win, so last night was a good comeback considering it didn't look like we were going to get anything after 75 minutes.

I have some empathy with the posters thread that we ‘got away’ with a few wins in the early games where we could equally have got 0 points ! Let’s be fair, Bentley saved us from a mullering at florists as an example.

Equally the football has been so much better than the turgid stuff we suffered at the end of LJ time so all in all, having to follow on Robins TV, I am pretty happy  as we approach the end of the  first quarter of the season.

As I said on another post my name is ‘the Optimist’  and you cannot be anything other than optimistic as the season progresses. I think DH will stick with the 352 as a rule of thumb. Williams who I have only seen on ‘the roof’ and in one interview has yet to feature, as has Walsh.  These two when available will be a massive boost and be like two new signings.  With injuries the back three is still the issue with loss of Mawson and Bakes. Could Brunt play LHS of a three ?  He was left back for years at the baggies ?

Its not doom and gloom by any means, there are so many positives.   Not least we are sixth !

What total rubbish. 

The OP could write off every team in the country with such negative slants. And to say we only won because Bentley did his job-how totally stupid is that? Like me saying we would have won every game if Wells knew where the goal was. 

Well done lads, rarely miss a game at Huffeesfield and the win should have brought out hope and pleasure to most City fans- which it did. The best way to temper that pleasure is to read OTiB - what a shame. 

Fine margins in this division. We have not been played off the park by any team, even v Norwich we went toe to toe and could easily have got the draw we deserved.

With all our injuries disrupting the master plan I think the staff and players have been magnificent.

I am happy with where we are as a club.

Last night , however was a massive, massive three points and will do everyone the power of good.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So 6th and 17 points from 10 games and we haven't played well yet? 

Last season, we were 17 points after 10 games, and 7th.

In 2017/18, we were 17 points after 10 games.

In 2016/17, we were (you know it) 17 and 10.

Each time, we fizzled out.

In 2018/19, interestingly, when we finished 8th, we were 15 points after 10 games. Deano has us pretty much where LJ had us - thereabouts, despite the injuries, and probably going to finish somewhere between 12th and 8th.

No shame in that but you wonder why SL bothered?

14 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I have some empathy with the posters thread that we ‘got away’ with a few wins in the early games where we could equally have got 0 points ! Let’s be fair, Bentley saved us from a mullering at florists as an example.

Its not doom and gloom by any means, there are so many positives.   Not least we are sixth !

Every fixture throws up different challenges and few team plays well in every game. It’s virtually impossible to put it top performances week on week but so far 10 games in City are doing ok.

Posters use to the Norwich defeat as an indication of how poorly City can play but fail to give any credit to Norwich who were pretty damn good and I can see them still featuring when it really matters in 30 games time.

So far City have played well in parts in most of the 10 games and that tells me that the signs are looking promising.

Onwards and upwards!

So you think he’s going to completely abandon his entire philosophy, which is ingrained from first team through to U23s, and tear it all up because for 15 minutes we played well with a back four?

I’d suggest that’s probably a tad unlikely. Individuals made the difference tonight, not formations.

15 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Last season, we were 17 points after 10 games, and 7th.

In 2017/18, we were 17 points after 10 games.

In 2016/17, we were (you know it) 17 and 10.

Each time, we fizzled out.

In 2018/19, interestingly, when we finished 8th, we were 15 points after 10 games. Deano has us pretty much where LJ had us - thereabouts, despite the injuries, and probably going to finish somewhere between 12th and 8th.

No shame in that but you wonder why SL bothered?

He has only really had these 10 games in charge, so I would say that he is doing well to get these results whilst trying to impose his style of play on the team. That coupled with the injury list suggests that there is better to come rather than a "fizzle out"season.

What unrealistic expectations do you have for DH & Bristol City Football Club? No manager has ever won every game while playing the perfect game yet there are a few on here in particular that seem to expect it!

No other manager has had to deal with a fixture schedule like this & deal with a global pandemic which means that all the normal routines, that everyone involved with the game has had to be thrown out of the window.

DH wasn’t given the the financial backing of some other managers because of the current financial implications of this global pandemic & has constantly played some younger, less experienced players to get us through because of an horrendous injury situation that we are currently experiencing, yet he’s not used it as an excuse once! Yet I’ve heard Guardiola, Klopp & Solskjaer have all harped on about it despite still being able to call upon full international’s to come in & fill their squads, yet they’ve not won every game or played ‘perfect football’!!

DH has so far only managed to receive any credit from some because of a 4/4 perfect start, were you honestly expecting that form to continue? You complain that results have been ‘lucky’ but what keeps every football manager in a job? Results! But while performances may not be up to your unrealistically high standards, the football that I've seen offered up is a marked improvement on the the 18 months or so that was offered previously to DH’s appointment & all while being a rookie, with restricted resources!!

Now I'm going to assume that you would of preferred Chris Hughton to of been appointed, rather than DH? For the record, how is that appointment currently working out for Forest? Despite them arguably having a reportedly much better squad than us & without the injuries we have had to influential team players! And yet Hughton has been a manager since 1997!! That’s 23 years longer than DH yet he hasn’t been able to get a tune out of a squad of experienced players! What makes you think he would of done any better with a squad that has a few inexperienced players in it?

DH is in a job that only one other manager has managed to get us in the top division of, for over 100 years, so where have your unrealistic expectations come from? Have you suddenly got our kit mixed up with those from Manchester? Not one pundit or bookies had us being above mid-table, yet you & a select few seem to expect us to win the division, while not dropping a point & playing the football of the late 70’s Dutch or Germans! I’m sorry to break it to you, it’s not going to happen! 

When I play the lottery, I don’t do it because I know I’m going to win, I do it in the hope that I’m going to win it! I don’t get all upset when I discover that I haven’t won because it’s to be expected! When I used to turn up to watch City play & now when I turn the tv on to watch us play, I don’t do it because I know we are going to win, I do it because I hope we are going to win! So why have you & a fair few others suddenly started switching on knowing that we are going to win & then being extra upset when it hasn’t gone to plan? Where have your unrealistic expectations come from?

9 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Middlesboro- awful. 

Swansea- poor. 

COYR. 

Some definitely truth in here. I feel like we’ve perhaps compromised some of our strength in defence that we had under LJ to improve our attacking. 

59 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

DH wasn’t given the the financial backing of some other managers because of the current financial implications

Don't agree with that. Martin given essentially 3 year deal that wouldn't be cheap. Mawson would be an expensive loan however it was set up and Brunt a 35 YO on £15k+ a week instead of a current Welsh International. Sessignon might have been cheap (relatively) and Williams looked a steal at £2m, but I'd guess his wages would be up there. Obviously he has been told we need to utilise the youth/academy , but whoever the man coming in they would have been told the same, even LJ was.There is no point in spending Millions on an academy if you're not going to play the young lads that come through. 

We have been decimated by injury, and even last night losing Bakinson late on would have been difficult as they probably planned that set up since Saturday. But it is natural to think what if. We have a novice in charge, and you can't help but wonder, would experience meant he changed the system earlier? Even during the 4 wins there were signs it wasn't going to work all year. Then it's taken several poor games to change it. 

We won't know, and I said this time and time again, what Holden's team looks like until we get Baker back and Williams and Walsh in the team. That was what his plans were, so maybe in the new year we will see how good we are. Add Mawson to that and the defence looks strong.
In the mean time Holden will be judged on his juggling. We have to change system as we only have 3 fit CB's, and no LCB, Rowe proved that last night. He will have to decide how we get through to the break (at least) and still pick up points to keep us in touch with the top 2/4/6. 
The silence on Mawson is strange and I wonder if it's not as bad as they thought. If we could get Him , Williams and Walsh back for the return it could be a massive boost. 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Don't agree with that. Martin given essentially 3 year deal that wouldn't be cheap. Mawson would be an expensive loan however it was set up and Brunt a 35 YO on £15k+ a week instead of a current Welsh International. Sessignon might have been cheap (relatively) and Williams looked a steal at £2m, but I'd guess his wages would be up there. Obviously he has been told we need to utilise the youth/academy , but whoever the man coming in they would have been told the same, even LJ was.There is no point in spending Millions on an academy if you're not going to play the young lads that come through. 

We have been decimated by injury, and even last night losing Bakinson late on would have been difficult as they probably planned that set up since Saturday. But it is natural to think what if. We have a novice in charge, and you can't help but wonder, would experience meant he changed the system earlier? Even during the 4 wins there were signs it wasn't going to work all year. Then it's taken several poor games to change it. 

We won't know, and I said this time and time again, what Holden's team looks like until we get Baker back and Williams and Walsh in the team. That was what his plans were, so maybe in the new year we will see how good we are. Add Mawson to that and the defence looks strong.
In the mean time Holden will be judged on his juggling. We have to change system as we only have 3 fit CB's, and no LCB, Rowe proved that last night. He will have to decide how we get through to the break (at least) and still pick up points to keep us in touch with the top 2/4/6. 
The silence on Mawson is strange and I wonder if it's not as bad as they thought. If we could get Him , Williams and Walsh back for the return it could be a massive boost. 

You have proof on those figures? Williams was signed for nearly half the price you have quoted according to reports & he’s the only player that we have spent a transfer fee on. From the squad DH inherited at the end of last season he has lost Maenpaa, Ashley Williams, Smith, Pereira, Benkovic, Afobe, Henriksen & Eliasson (off the top of my head) as first team players, he has managed to brink in Mawson (injured), Sessegnon (injured), Brunt, Martin & Williams (injured).

Eliasson went for more than Williams incoming so we have spent less & then I’d suggest the wages of the 8 outgoing players far outweighs the wages of the 5 incoming players? So we have cut the wage bill considerably?

DH has dealt with the things that have come his way, he hasn’t moaned or used them excuses, he’s accepted them & moved on because moaning & using them as excuses gets no one anywhere & he’s still managed to get us into the top half with a decent points return after 10 games.

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

You have proof on those figures? Williams was signed for nearly half the price you have quoted according to reports & he’s the only player that we have spent a transfer fee on.

I go on figures that I have seen shared around, proof? No, you?

From the squad DH inherited at the end of last season he has lost Maenpaa, Ashley Williams, Smith, Pereira, Benkovic, Afobe, Henriksen & Eliasson (off the top of my head) as first team players, he has managed to brink in Mawson (injured), Sessegnon (injured), Brunt, Martin & Williams (injured).

Henriksen never played, Williams was always a stop gap, Maenpaa was never going to be offered longer with Max waiting, 3 end of loan , only Smith & Eliasson really regulars, Holden had chosen his formation, no wingers and Smith OOC and have you seen how many MF's we have?

Eliasson went for more than Williams incoming so we have spent less & then I’d suggest the wages of the 8 outgoing players far outweighs the wages of the 5 incoming players? So we have cut the wage bill considerably?

Depending what figures are seen or believed , we barely got out money back for Eliasson . Williams I was going on original reports, release fee was £2.4m but looks like it was nearer £1.3m
Not sure how much we are saving, guessing I say Benkovic evens out Mawson, Brunt and Martin wouldn't be cheap & Williams would be on decent money. They needed to shave some wages as we have so many OOC and any new offers would be higher than the current ones. 

DH has dealt with the things that have come his way, he hasn’t moaned or used them excuses, he’s accepted them & moved on because moaning & using them as excuses gets no one anywhere & he’s still managed to get us into the top half with a decent points return after 10 games.

I like his "straight talking" style, refreshing after LJ, like I said he can be judged when he plays his team. When that might be I don't know, one of those OOC is Walsh how I read he wanted to build the team around. Hopefully this break turns out to be good timing for us, for a change.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Some definitely truth in here. I feel like we’ve perhaps compromised some of our strength in defence that we had under LJ to improve our attacking. 

100% that is what has happened and it makes for a far better watch as long as you can stomach the fact that every now and then we’ll get battered playing that way.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

But they were still player in the squad that if they were here now DH would have the option of selecting, so he lost 8 players over the summer (I didn’t include Matty Taylor as he wasn’t available to DH in the summer). Brunt, as a player that hadn’t made a first team start in the last 2 years until coming here will be in no where near £15k p/w imo, he was out of contract & without a club. The loan players we had & we’ve allowed to go back wouldn’t of been here for free, Benkovic & Afobe were rumoured to be on top wages for our club, Maenpaa, Williams, Heniksen, Smith & Eliasson were / are all experienced professionals on top of Benkovic & Afobe. 
Martin maybe on decent money but I don’t believe we offered him anymore that Derby did, we offered him a longer term deal than Derby did & that was evidently why he came here (on a free)!

So let’s say Williams (Ashley) & Brunt cancel each other out, Benkovic & Mawson cancel each other out, Martin will be on less than Afobe (Afobe was on big wages), Sessegnon & Pereira’s deals cancel each other out. That then leaves Eliasson who was sold for more than we paid for Joe Williams (fee I’ve seen for Williams is £1.25m) & I would expect wages to be around about’s the same, that then leaves Maenpaa, Korey Smith, Henriksen (I believe he left after LJ left, so was available to DH) that have left & as experienced players, they would of been on decent wages & as I pointed out, DH has had less resources made available to him.

As for those about to be OOC, I expect to see a fair few leave because of the current financial climate & we will likely be dealing in OOC incomings ourselves & those that are offered new deals may have to accept lesser deals, especially if the rumoured wage cap is about to be brought in. Football finances (especially below the Premier League) have to change.

I do have my fears about some players, are we being played by Walsh & Diedhiou? Walsh knows DH wants to build a team around him but we’ve seen nothing of him, is he hoping to get to January & then agree a deal elsewhere? Similar with Diedhiou, making all the right noises but no actual action has been seen yet. I’m hoping to be proved wrong.

Archived