IGNORED

I'm definitely more critical watching on TV

Slack Bladder

Get me back to 'The Gate' I'm not cut out for watching my team on TV

When I am at the match it is easier to see the whole game, who is making those off the ball runs and who is tracking back. On TV all you see is this little window.

When I'm at the game it is easier to get behind the lads and try and spur them on. A free kick or a corner with COME ON YOU REDS  ringing in your ears.

I find I'm moaning at the team on TV mainly because i feel disconnected from the game . Mind you the picture freezing doesn't help.

I hate being critical of the team during a game, that is for the pub afterwards. But I'm falling into that trap and I don't like it.

These are interesting days for our team, a young fledgling manager learning his way and we want to be there getting behind him and the team.

Hopefully we'll be back on the terraces in 2021, perhaps i should stick to the radio for the time being.

Its a fairly widespread opinion that going to the match, for a lot of people is habit based, so you go because its what you have always done on a Saturday, and always will. However, once the habit is broken for whatever reason, it is realised that going to football isn't the be all and end all, especially with so many other attractions for our spare time these days. I honestly think that when we eventually are fully back to normal, crowd sizes will be well down across most clubs.

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Its a fairly widespread opinion that going to the match, for a lot of people is habit based, so you go because its what you have always done on a Saturday, and always will. However, once the habit is broken for whatever reason, it is realised that going to football isn't the be all and end all, especially with so many other attractions for our spare time these days. I honestly think that when we eventually are fully back to normal, crowd sizes will be well down across most clubs.

I think for 5-10 games crows sizes will be hugely increased. People will want to get back out and do ANY sort of social activity so people who maybe go to 5 games a season will think "go on I haven't been in ages".

After that however, I agree and the cost may affect too many people who have struggled with jobs/financially over the year.

Interesting observation @Slack Bladder

I definitely feel more detached watching on TV.  Somehow, at the the game you think your support can make a difference and I'm sure it does.   You just have to look how irrelevant playing at home seems to be in lockdown.  (Needs some stats here from someone).  

I experienced similar once at Old Trafford sat at the back of a huge stand (Forget which one).  As I was sat so back and high up the frame of the stand I was in obscured all the other stands completely.  I could only see the pitch and the players were tiny.  Felt like I was watching a game on FIFA on a huge TV screen.  

When you watch football live you can appreciate the movement and play off the ball more, whereas on TV you only ever see the camera angles and obviously the ball.

I have had situations in the past where friends have been watching City on Sky and I’ve been watching it live in person and have a completely different view of the game and player performances.

6 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Didn't happen after WW!!   !

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Didn't happen after WW!!   !

Or WW11.?

Was talking about this today as we drove past the ground. My wife said it's a way of life for me, spending all of my adult life going down and this being the longest time away, only ever close season in the past. So, a little lump appeared in my throat and I agreed that there's been a lot of memories over those fifty four years of going down nearly every game. 

It will be a welcome but strange feeling when we are finally allowed to return. Sure to bring a tear to my eye.

I'm very much missing the live action too. While I am enjoying the insights of Tinnion and Gilmartin on Robins TV I find myself watching the game without much excitement, certainly last night until Semenyo and Pato lit a fire in the team. As for being more critical, perhaps a touch but I think that arises in live games too. From high up on the terraces we scream at a player for not making what we see from our vantage point an obvious 30 yard diagonal only to forget that the guy on the ball is 5ft 6 and he can't see our suggested target due to 3 players over 6ft being in his eyeline. 

6 hours ago, underhanded said:

I know what you mean, watching on TV allows far more room for criticism. The camera angle always means you think a switch ball is on, yet when on the terraces you often realise it isn't.

Funny old game

Agree with you and OP.  I want to see the whole pitch....it’s not about the atmosphere for me, although like that too.

As attending fans I think it can also depend on where you sit too, as we all get different perspectives.

I've decided to (trying to) replicate the matchday experience. As I never comment when I'm at the game, I don't do it while watching the match on the tele, it's too raw.

Normally, I've walked to and waited for, the park and ride bus and comment once I'm on there so I'm giving myself 30 minutes-ish before commenting. Seems to be a better way of doing things for me as it takes the emotion out of the game, a bit. 

Archived