IGNORED

Ajax Friendly 2007 Programme Request

JerrySLO

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

What a game that was! I remember skuse getting dispossessed and suarez bending one in the top corner?! Who did we have marking him that day!!?

Wouldn't have made a lot of difference, they were from a different planet and barely got out of first gear.

I seem to remember we only had one turnstile open, leading to much moaned about queues. 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We played dortmond in the early 2000s and i swear we didnt even get out our half.

Watching the movement of some players that night was like watching a game at wembley as a kid.

Think that was Monchengladbach mate. We lost 5-0 and they didn't even start their best player Toni Polster

On 06/11/2020 at 08:04, Phileas Fogg said:

Wish we did more of these friendlies with top foreign clubs. Much more interesting than playing Weston or Cheltenham. 

Not sure what the team learnt from the game, unless the objective was 90 minutes of chasing shadows!

That said, from a spectators point of view it was pretty impressive seeing 11 players who were just sokoto much better than what we usually got to see. Even if it was a little one sided.

It was like a school district team playing against all the divvy kids.

On 06/11/2020 at 08:24, elhombrecito said:

Samuel Eto'o and his Mallorca team were the best of the top foreign teams we've played. Absolutely steamrollered us.

Ha, they had a little playmaker called campano who set everythjng up. Then bent a freekick in the top corner. I remember sitting in the stand purring watching them play.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure what the team learnt from the game, unless the objective was 90 minutes of chasing shadows!

That said, from a spectators point of view it was pretty impressive seeing 11 players who were just sokoto much better than what we usually got to see. Even if it was a little one sided.

If we get promoted to the Premier we'll need a full preseason of fixtures like this to get us up to speed 

On 05/11/2020 at 22:45, Lew-T said:

I do remember about 50 Ajax fans coming in late to the game who looked  pwoper nawty.

Oh and Evander Sno tearing us apart.

Was it about 50? Was at the other end of the ground but yeah I seem to recall a number arriving late- witnessed handbags or was it more, but something anyway walking back through the Park.

8 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Ha, they had a little playmaker called campano who set everythjng up. Then bent a freekick in the top corner. I remember sitting in the stand purring watching them play.

They were great, CL standard I think- certainly had some CL standard players and a relatively famous manager, Luis Aragones who won Euro 2008 and a bit of an Atletico icon. Fairly successful manager anyway.

My various recollections of those - pre-seasons games:

v L'pool Michael Owen coming on as sub - fastest player I'd ever seen (was he 18?)

v Monchingladbach: they wore dark green, were huge, very good technically, smashed us and we started the season lacking confidence (was that the reason?) 

v Ajax: Sno was electric and was a good buy when he came. Scored in that magic mid-week away win at Leicester - The 3 Ss: Sno, Skuse and Sproole. Don't you just miss away games as we stay in on our 2nd Friday lockdown? 

v Yeovil away: Jonesie, where did you get that tan? 

v Weston. Don't bother any more

Archived