IGNORED

Cardiff (a) - Fri 6th Nov 18:00 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. If it was situation reversed then on here we wouldn't be saying how well we played and I bet the Cardiff fans aren't either.

Just had a look over on their forum and they`re saying they battered us and deserved something. They`re more pissed off with Harris`s tactics than anything else and ant him gone.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s the key for me and why we have to cut the players slack tonight. Some were running on empty but after people were questioning our passion last weekend the back line fought like warriors tonight to get that clean sheet. Sometimes that’s as enjoyable as playing sexy football and winning 4-0.

Too true,would be nice to see us play sexy football tho once in a blue moon 

Credit to Dean for the starting XI ,which worked quite well in the 1st half, but we risked too much in the 2nd half, so...I guess this experiment could be done again in some matches, but only if the midfield options on the bench can have a valuable impact (Brunt didn't, IMO).

Talking about the players....Bentley was awesome tonight, but Kalas and Vyner played well too; Nagy was tidy and Callum's energy was very important; happy for Martin but this time I was more impressed by Semenyo.

A really sensible, and, an interesting  post from  the Cardiff Forum 

When Bristol City prepared for this game do you think their game plan was to come here and dominate the game like we did? No doubt we dominated the statistics but statistics mean nothing significant - the only thing that matters is the scoreline. Bristol City managed the game well, held their defensive line well, remained disciplined throughout the game and intimidated our most physical players (notably O'Dowda vs Nelson and Morrison/Kalas vs Moore). In considering that, compare their performance to ours - what did we do best? We didn't do much well but oh well, at least we had the ball more than they did and we managed to put the ball in their box a few times. We didn't play well because we came close to scoring once or twice...we played poorly despite coming close to scoring once to twice.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

0-1, was the score in my first City match at Ninian Park in 1957 or maybe 1958.

So really chuffed to watch us repeat the score tonight.

Well done everyone.

we lost at Ninian park in Dec 1958 1-0, we beat them there 1-0 in March 1968. perhaps that's the game you remember.

3 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Credit to Dean for the starting XI ,which worked quite well in the 1st half, but we risked too much in the 2nd half, so...I guess this experiment could be done again in some matches, but only if the midfield options on the bench can have a valuable impact (Brunt didn't, IMO).

Talking about the players....Bentley was awesome tonight, but Kalas and Vyner played well too; Nagy was tidy and Callum's energy was very important; happy for Martin but this time I was more impressed by Semenyo.

I thought maybe he could have held on to a few of the attempts rather than batting them away, but you cant argue with him keeping the ball out of the net he certainly played his part in our win.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have just checked and we did win 1-0 there back in February 1931.

I am aware that @cidered abroad is 'quite old', so perhaps this is the match he recalls....?.

@PHILINFRANCE

Am I coming up to my 90th birthday?

Actually it wasn't my first game at Ninian Park. That was back in 1950. My Dad came from Tonypandy ( his Dad born in Claverham but that's another story) and we went to see Cardiff play a couple or three times each season when visiting my grandparents. I saw Portsmouth who had won the First Division twice in 1949 and 1950. The Wolves team of 1953 was awesome with England captain Billy Wright and I was very fortunate to have a working class father who preferred to save his spare money for football, rugby and cricket instead of going to the pub every evening like many of our neighbours.

I hope I never stop enjoying the thrill of live matches. I'm not alone like that as it was the only way to see a game. Get off your backside and off to a stadium.

Come on You Reds forever!

7 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Unintended consequence of this game:

I messed up my arm/chest at the gym a couple weeks ago and aggravated the injury celebrating the goal. I am not a smart man. 

Wade Wilson? Don't you heal really quickly though?

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I reckon, if you take it from the seventies, we've won over there more than we've lost?

When we got relagated from division 2 with cardiff and rovers wasn't cardiff away the last game of the season and our first (so only) away win that year? (I remember the home game being 0-0 on boxing or new years day with Kevin Mabbutt being sent off I was stood at the back of the east end barely able to see anything as a 5'2" 12 year old for that one.)

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

When we got relagated from division 2 with cardiff and rovers wasn't cardiff away the last game of the season and our first (so only) away win that year? (I remember the home game being 0-0 on boxing or new years day with Kevin Mabbutt being sent off I was stood at the back of the east end barely able to see anything as a 5'2" 12 year old for that one.)

Yes, I was there ,I reckon there was only about 3k there.Got a feeling someone like Chandler scored (but don't quote me on that )

Another welcome and unxpected win, considering we had to resolutely defend an early goal lead for circa 90 minutes.

Our back line defended well and battled heroically to snuff out Cardiff's relentless pressure on our goal.

Impressed with O'Dowda's and Semenyo's improved energy and desire. Nagy protected the back line, broke up Cardiff's attacks and distributed the ball well. Pleased Chris Martin finally got a goal.

Great save from Bentley who had a good game.

Wilson was lucky not to get a red card for that lunge.

All in all, a battling team performance, but we still need to be more aggressive in tackles.

Brunt, unfortunately, was poor. I'm sure other options on the bench were better.

Seems like the red shorts are bringing us luck.

On the downside, another break for International games. Just what we don't need.

We have to overcome this hoodoo.

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Another welcome and unxpected win, considering we had to resolutely defend an early goal lead for circa 90 minutes.

Our back line defended well and battled heroically to snuff out Cardiff's relentless pressure on our goal.

Impressed with O'Dowda's and Semenyo's improved energy and desire. Nagy protected the back line, broke up Cardiff's attacks and distributed the ball well. Pleased Chris Martin finally got a goal.

Great save from Bentley who had a good game.

Wilson was lucky not to get a red card for that lunge.

All in all, a battling team performance, but we still need to be more aggressive in tackles.

Brunt, unfortunately, was poor. I'm sure other options on the bench were better.

Seems like the red shorts are bringing us luck.

On the downside, another break for International games. Just what we don't need.

We have to overcome this hoodoo.

We surely do need the international break imo as we were down to the last 18 pros left last night.....oh, and of those 18, Brunt is useless, Semenyo will never be a Championship striker, Vyner is error prone, Moore is crap, Hunt can’t defend, Massengo is lightweight, Wells isn’t interested and O’Dowda is a Suburban League player.....perhaps we should call a halt to the season ?

I’m sure there was a time when we used to enjoy winning football matches!!

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We surely do need the international break imo as we were down to the last 18 pros left last night.....oh, and of those 18, Brunt is useless, Semenyo will never be a Championship striker, Vyner is error prone, Moore is crap, Hunt can’t defend, Massengo is lightweight, Wells isn’t interested and O’Dowda is a Suburban League player.....perhaps we should call a halt to the season ?

I’m sure there was a time when we used to enjoy winning football matches!!

Totally unreasonable of you - what about all the other useless players!!  I mean DaSilva is useless at attacking, Martin can't score a goal to save his life, Bentley is inconsistent rubbish, Kalas is made of glass, Paterson only turns up 1 in 4 games, Wells has the wrong attitude, Brunt is out of his depth ....

Just now, Hxj said:

Totally unreasonable of you - what about all the other useless players!!  I mean DaSilva is useless at attacking, Martin can't score a goal to save his life, Bentley is inconsistent rubbish, Kalas is made of glass, Paterson only turns up 1 in 4 games, Wells has the wrong attitude, Brunt is out of his depth ....

Which is why we sit bottom of the league unable to buy a win going into the break......add in the out of his depth manager who will be “gone by Christmas”.......

I get that we aren’t the finished article or even close to it which makes our current position all the more impressive. Can I see us staying where we are? Not likely in my view. Should we be enjoying the current position and getting behind the lads rather than bagging them at every opportunity possible in the guise of “opinion”? I think so.

7 minutes ago, Hxj said:

I’m gutted I missed the Paterson comment??

28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Can't wait to see what results are tonight and if any go our way and help our cause.

Will be well please if we are still in top 6 this evening. Hopefully better.

Norwich host Swansea so we are guaranteed top six going into the international break.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@PHILINFRANCE

Am I coming up to my 90th birthday? And, if I recall correctly from one of your previous posts, until recently - and, obviously, this season - still walked from and back to Temple Meads before and after matches.

Actually it wasn't my first game at Ninian Park. That was back in 1950. My Dad came from Tonypandy ( his Dad born in Claverham but that's another story) and we went to see Cardiff play a couple or three times each season when visiting my grandparents. I saw Portsmouth who had won the First Division twice in 1949 and 1950. The Wolves team of 1953 was awesome with England captain Billy Wright and I was very fortunate to have a working class father who preferred to save his spare money for football, rugby and cricket instead of going to the pub every evening like many of our neighbours. And, of course, to pay for a very good education. 

I hope I never stop enjoying the thrill of live matches. I'm not alone like that as it was the only way to see a game. Get off your backside and off to a stadium.

Come on You Reds forever!

Hopefully, you will get to watch both the football and rugby at Ashton Gate some time next year ?.

Archived