Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Cardiff (a) - Fri 6th Nov 18:00 - What Can We Expect?


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Much prefer your X1 - it has solidity & creativity

Yeah, I think we need that solidity with either Moore, Vyner or Rowe playing alongside Kalas.

The other benefits of going to four at the back are: Semenyo plays the role he starred in for Newport, Pato's further forward allowing him to do his best work in the final third, we could get 60 minutes out of Nagy in his preferred position, Wells plays the width of the six-yard box, we get to rest Vyner who can also be back-up for Hunt from the bench. 

I don't think DH will go for a back four, though, despite Cardiff seeming likely to go with Moore on his own up top. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see him going to a back 4  but putting Vyner at RB for extra height. 

 

                                    Bentley

 

Vyner             Moore                Kalas           Dasilva

 

                                    Bakinson

 

                             Nagy         Paterson

 

 O ' Dowda               Martin                         Semenyo

 

But, I would be interested to see if we try and do what Spurs did last season where the shape changed regularly, so the above is what it would be out of possession. In possession I could see us attacking a bit like this

 

                         Bentley

 

        Vyner          Moore          Kalas

                            Bakinson

                    Nagy             Paterson

O' Dowda                                            Dasilva

                        Martin         Semenyo

 

If they practice and get it to work it can be quite fluid, you've got the stability in the middle and plenty of width but the presence of Bakinson and 3 defenders prevents any Counter attack and he's mobile enough to drop into LB if required.  Semenyo is able to drift  into the middle which will create more space  for Martin and Dasilva.

It's pretty crazy and out there, but actually think it could work, although maybe not tonight...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, phantom said:

For me Diedhiou is going to be key tonight

Cardiff are very strong in the air so need as much strength and height in the team as possible tonight

I'd rather not, it encourages our defenders to go long when they see the likes of Martin/Diedhiou up top, how often did we see it last couple of seasons when Diedhiou was on compared to the strikers. I'd play Martin but not Diedhiou, simply whether you start Wells or Semenyo with him, is Antoine a better impact player than starting player is the question.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tin said:

What I would go with (433/4231):

5fa5223e37197.jpg

My prediction of Holden's XI (352/532):

5fa5230d6aef2.jpg

Yep, liking your selection and the formation.  Two CMs needed against Cardiff and Bakinson and Nagy are the best options.  Back four makes sense, but I'd go for a Vyer at RB instead of Hunt because he's more solid in defensive duties and Hunt can be a bit suspect when a pure RB is needed instead of a RWB.  The other change I'd make is Deidhou up front instead of Wells, just because of his all round contribution and his ability to withstand being knocked about, which Cardiff will definitely do.  Looking forward to Wells finding a bit more form, but this is probably not the game when he can best do that.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I'd like to see us continue with the 4-3-3 formation we switched to against Huddersfield. However, whatever the formation, it is paramount for me that we start the game with 2 proper CMs. Bakinson should be one, and either Nagy or Massengo alongside him.

Cardiff are a solid side and if Deano selects just one proper CM I fear we will not be able to compete (BTW. Brunt is not a proper CM!).

 

I’d love to see this team in a 4-3-3 tonight. Can’t see Dean dropping our 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 though. 
 

IMO Kalas and Dasilva in particular look so much better in a back 4, maybe Vyner too. Hunt just needs to watch his positioning, but he was disciplined as a RB in the last 20 up at Huddersfield. 
 

                       Bentley

Hunt     Vyner        Kalas       Dasilva

              Nagy      Bakinson

                       Pato

      Semenyo      Martin     COD

 

Fam to come on last 15/20 to rough them up if needs be, and possibly Brunt too for some game management. 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Fantastic analysis, Dave. I would definitely start Fam for his physical presence at both ends of the pitch and persevere with Wells who is happier on his travels.

Tyreeq is an ideal choice to press Pack, but do we start another DM alongside who can tackle, because options are limited to the disappointing Brunt, unless Tommy moves across from left wing-back/left-centre back.

With space available I'd also start the ever improving COD.

 

My worry would be, how is T going to press Pack? T is rarely allowed 15 yards away from the back 3 & Pack rarely wonders 10 yards away from his own defence unless he’s taking a set piece, so it would need COD or Paterson to do the closing down. T for me will be need to cover Wilson’s movement & runs.

For me, I would love to see T being given the freedom to leave that 15 yard protection screen, he should have the fitness & the energy to do so but that would require us to line-up more like we did against Huddersfield & have two protecting midfielders with one left with the freedom to roam. So for me & after the Huddersfield game, I would go with Nagy & T protecting with one of the two making sure they are protecting but it not being restricted to it having to be T or Nagy for the entire game. Let T go marauding for 10 minutes & then let him sit while Nagy goes (if the game situation allows). While Paterson is our out & out #10.

It’s either that or we just go with one striker & a midfield 4 as Coventry set-up against us, as a box, so Nagy & T sitting with Paterson & COD more forward thinking behind whoever the striker would be. The striker would / should still get plenty of support from the wing-backs, Paterson & COD. For me it gives us a bit more flexibility against a team that could cause us problems & it would allow us to take control of the midfield.

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My final thought on Nagy in the middle, is that we have to remember for 70 minutes we looked poor against Huddersfield.

It was subs that turned the game on its head for us, but again that may have been that Fam, Semenyo and Patto were and will be a nightmare for any tiring defense at this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Deano has to rotate the squad with 7 games in 20 days. That makes it difficult to second guess what the starting 11 will be.

Do you know there's an international break after this weekend, which gives the players two weeks off? The rotations should have happened after game two or three of seven in the last 20 days, IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tin said:

Do you know there's an international break after this weekend, which gives the players two weeks off? The rotations should have happened after game two or three of seven in the last 20 days, IMO. 

Of course I know! 

Deano has been forced thru injury to Weimann and Mawson to change the line up anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

Yep, liking your selection and the formation.  Two CMs needed against Cardiff and Bakinson and Nagy are the best options.  Back four makes sense, but I'd go for a Vyer at RB instead of Hunt because he's more solid in defensive duties and Hunt can be a bit suspect when a pure RB is needed instead of a RWB.  The other change I'd make is Deidhou up front instead of Wells, just because of his all round contribution and his ability to withstand being knocked about, which Cardiff will definitely do.  Looking forward to Wells finding a bit more form, but this is probably not the game when he can best do that.   

Fair points. I can understand your logic, both with Vyner and Fam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

My worry would be, how is T going to press Pack? T is rarely allowed 15 yards away from the back 3 & Pack rarely wonders 10 yards away from his own defence unless he’s taking a set piece, so it would need COD or Paterson to do the closing down. T for me will be need to cover Wilson’s movement & runs.

For me, I would love to see T being given the freedom to leave that 15 yard protection screen, he should have the fitness & the energy to do so but that would require us to line-up more like we did against Huddersfield & have two protecting midfielders with one left with the freedom to roam. So for me & after the Huddersfield game, I would go with Nagy & T protecting with one of the two making sure they are protecting but it not being restricted to it having to be T or Nagy for the entire game. Let T go marauding for 10 minutes & then let him sit while Nagy goes (if the game situation allows). While Paterson is our out & out #10.

It’s either that or we just go with one striker & a midfield 4 as Coventry set-up against us, as a box, so Nagy & T sitting with Paterson & COD more forward thinking behind whoever the striker would be. The striker would / should still get plenty of support from the wing-backs, Paterson & COD. For me it gives us a bit more flexibility against a team that could cause us problems & it would allow us to take control of the midfield.

That’s exactly the thought process I’d be going through.  So we might both be wrong 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s exactly the thought process I’d be going through.  So we might both be wrong 😂😂😂

I’d say with DH’s insistence on 3-5-2, we definitely are both wrong but I’m sure this isn’t the first time & I’m pretty sure it won’t be the last time either😂.

I’d love to be right though & now would be a pretty good time for DH to show he can be flexible as well, which would make the rest of the division take notice by not making us so predictable. After all, it was that flexibility that enabled to get all 3 points against Huddersfield.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

He is going to go with 5-3-2 again no doubt about it. Can’t see them training a new formation for weeks and weeks and then changing it with two days notice and only one training.

I thought Rowe was poor on Tuesday so I’d prefer to see Moore back in.  
 

                      Bentley

        Vyner.  Kalas.  Moore

Hunt.         Bakinson    Dasilva

               Nagy   Paterson 

           Semenyo.  Martin 

Two of COD, Nagy and Paterson.  Don’t mind which two.  Hopefully no Brunt. 

Bloody ‘ell.....totally agree with your line-up.  I also agree that it will be two out of the three you mention too.  I’d go with the 3 in your scheme, but I can see Holden playing COD, meaning Nagy misses out.  If Cardiff play 442 I’m less worried by who we play out out of the 3, but I have my preferred ones!

If they play 4231, then I genuinely feel in your line-up, Vyner needs to move and we switch to a 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody ‘ell.....totally agree with your line-up.  I also agree that it will be two out of the three you mention too.  I’d go with the 3 in your scheme, but I can see Holden playing COD, meaning Nagy misses out.  If Cardiff play 442 I’m less worried by who we play out out of the 3, but I have my preferred ones!

If they play 4231, then I genuinely feel in your line-up, Vyner needs to move and we switch to a 4.

My ten pence worth is this;

I am not as convinced as I was before reading Holden’s comments that Bakinson will be fit, maybe he was trying to give nothing away but I inferred he might not be.

At the back I think it depends how Dasilva is up to 3 games in under a week, I would not be shocked to see Moore return & Rowe at LWB.

In midfield I expect both Paterson (after a rest) to start & O’Dowda too. Nagy will start if Bakinson doesn’t, I think. Brunt has been poor & started the last two.

Up top Martin has played the full 90 in both of the last two, so wouldn’t be shocked by Fam starting, Wells has struggled of late but worth pointing out he is the only one of our strikers to score a league goal so far & with a bit of luck would have had one in midweek.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cardiff mate of mine said in midweek they looked as good as he’d seen them for a long while. That was against a good Barnsley team, as we found out.

I told him we’ve been a little inconsistent and would be happy with a point.....so now he’s getting worried! 😂

Edited by Alessandro
Link to post
Share on other sites

im going for a positive 3.1 win tonight if we go 442 I think we have to much class for Cardiff to handle,if we play 352 then I will have to go for a draw,one things for sure if the family of 5 who lives 5 houses up from me put a bloody scarf and flag on my back gate this year I have the petrol and the match ready

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

He is going to go with 5-3-2 again no doubt about it. Can’t see them training a new formation for weeks and weeks and then changing it with two days notice and only one training.

I thought Rowe was poor on Tuesday so I’d prefer to see Moore back in.  
 

                      Bentley

        Vyner.  Kalas.  Moore

Hunt.         Bakinson    Dasilva

               Nagy   Paterson 

           Semenyo.  Martin 

Two of COD, Nagy and Paterson.  Don’t mind which two.  Hopefully no Brunt. 

Right now it has to be an in form O'Dowda instead of a slightly lazy Paterson. Latter ok to bring on with 20/30 minutes to go.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the opposition managers key statistic he seems to quote is an exact percentage of “duels won” which tells you his mindset I think Holden may pick a combative side tonight with two centre midfielders and Fammy up top (who can’t claim to be fatigued). On the flip side of that if we stick in Semenyo and can get him isolated against Morrison or the other centre half we might get some joy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, forestofdean said:

im going for a positive 3.1 win tonight if we go 442 I think we have to much class for Cardiff to handle,if we play 352 then I will have to go for a draw,one things for sure if the family of 5 who lives 5 houses up from me put a bloody scarf and flag on my back gate this year I have the petrol and the match ready

Might be honourable to let them get their pets and a few belongings out first FOD

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'd like to see us continue with the 4-3-3 formation we switched to against Huddersfield. However, whatever the formation, it is paramount for me that we start the game with 2 proper CMs. Bakinson should be one, and either Nagy or Massengo alongside him.

Cardiff are a solid side and if Deano selects just one proper CM I fear we will not be able to compete (BTW. Brunt is not a proper CM!).

 

Exactly right lets hope hes learned his lesson and sures up that midfield cant play two mambi pambies in odowda and patterson.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...