Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Cardiff (a) - Fri 6th Nov 18:00 - What Can We Expect?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have just checked and we did win 1-0 there back in February 1931.

I am aware that @cidered abroad is 'quite old', so perhaps this is the match he recalls....😉.

@PHILINFRANCE

Am I coming up to my 90th birthday?

Actually it wasn't my first game at Ninian Park. That was back in 1950. My Dad came from Tonypandy ( his Dad born in Claverham but that's another story) and we went to see Cardiff play a couple or three times each season when visiting my grandparents. I saw Portsmouth who had won the First Division twice in 1949 and 1950. The Wolves team of 1953 was awesome with England captain Billy Wright and I was very fortunate to have a working class father who preferred to save his spare money for football, rugby and cricket instead of going to the pub every evening like many of our neighbours.

I hope I never stop enjoying the thrill of live matches. I'm not alone like that as it was the only way to see a game. Get off your backside and off to a stadium.

Come on You Reds forever!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Unintended consequence of this game:

I messed up my arm/chest at the gym a couple weeks ago and aggravated the injury celebrating the goal. I am not a smart man. 

Wade Wilson? Don't you heal really quickly though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I reckon, if you take it from the seventies, we've won over there more than we've lost?

When we got relagated from division 2 with cardiff and rovers wasn't cardiff away the last game of the season and our first (so only) away win that year? (I remember the home game being 0-0 on boxing or new years day with Kevin Mabbutt being sent off I was stood at the back of the east end barely able to see anything as a 5'2" 12 year old for that one.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

When we got relagated from division 2 with cardiff and rovers wasn't cardiff away the last game of the season and our first (so only) away win that year? (I remember the home game being 0-0 on boxing or new years day with Kevin Mabbutt being sent off I was stood at the back of the east end barely able to see anything as a 5'2" 12 year old for that one.)

Yes, I was there ,I reckon there was only about 3k there.Got a feeling someone like Chandler scored (but don't quote me on that )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another welcome and unxpected win, considering we had to resolutely defend an early goal lead for circa 90 minutes.

Our back line defended well and battled heroically to snuff out Cardiff's relentless pressure on our goal.

Impressed with O'Dowda's and Semenyo's improved energy and desire. Nagy protected the back line, broke up Cardiff's attacks and distributed the ball well. Pleased Chris Martin finally got a goal.

Great save from Bentley who had a good game.

Wilson was lucky not to get a red card for that lunge.

All in all, a battling team performance, but we still need to be more aggressive in tackles.

Brunt, unfortunately, was poor. I'm sure other options on the bench were better.

Seems like the red shorts are bringing us luck.

On the downside, another break for International games. Just what we don't need.

We have to overcome this hoodoo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Another welcome and unxpected win, considering we had to resolutely defend an early goal lead for circa 90 minutes.

Our back line defended well and battled heroically to snuff out Cardiff's relentless pressure on our goal.

Impressed with O'Dowda's and Semenyo's improved energy and desire. Nagy protected the back line, broke up Cardiff's attacks and distributed the ball well. Pleased Chris Martin finally got a goal.

Great save from Bentley who had a good game.

Wilson was lucky not to get a red card for that lunge.

All in all, a battling team performance, but we still need to be more aggressive in tackles.

Brunt, unfortunately, was poor. I'm sure other options on the bench were better.

Seems like the red shorts are bringing us luck.

On the downside, another break for International games. Just what we don't need.

We have to overcome this hoodoo.

We surely do need the international break imo as we were down to the last 18 pros left last night.....oh, and of those 18, Brunt is useless, Semenyo will never be a Championship striker, Vyner is error prone, Moore is crap, Hunt can’t defend, Massengo is lightweight, Wells isn’t interested and O’Dowda is a Suburban League player.....perhaps we should call a halt to the season 😂

I’m sure there was a time when we used to enjoy winning football matches!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We surely do need the international break imo as we were down to the last 18 pros left last night.....oh, and of those 18, Brunt is useless, Semenyo will never be a Championship striker, Vyner is error prone, Moore is crap, Hunt can’t defend, Massengo is lightweight, Wells isn’t interested and O’Dowda is a Suburban League player.....perhaps we should call a halt to the season 😂

I’m sure there was a time when we used to enjoy winning football matches!!

Totally unreasonable of you - what about all the other useless players!!  I mean DaSilva is useless at attacking, Martin can't score a goal to save his life, Bentley is inconsistent rubbish, Kalas is made of glass, Paterson only turns up 1 in 4 games, Wells has the wrong attitude, Brunt is out of his depth ....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to see what results are tonight and if any go our way and help our cause.

Will be well please if we are still in top 6 this evening. Hopefully better.

Edited by BigTone
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hxj said:

Totally unreasonable of you - what about all the other useless players!!  I mean DaSilva is useless at attacking, Martin can't score a goal to save his life, Bentley is inconsistent rubbish, Kalas is made of glass, Paterson only turns up 1 in 4 games, Wells has the wrong attitude, Brunt is out of his depth ....

Which is why we sit bottom of the league unable to buy a win going into the break......add in the out of his depth manager who will be “gone by Christmas”.......

I get that we aren’t the finished article or even close to it which makes our current position all the more impressive. Can I see us staying where we are? Not likely in my view. Should we be enjoying the current position and getting behind the lads rather than bagging them at every opportunity possible in the guise of “opinion”? I think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Totally unreasonable of you - what about all the other useless players!!  I mean DaSilva is useless at attacking, Martin can't score a goal to save his life, Bentley is inconsistent rubbish, Kalas is made of glass, Paterson only turns up 1 in 4 games, Wells has the wrong attitude, Brunt is out of his depth ....

I’m gutted I missed the Paterson comment😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Can't wait to see what results are tonight and if any go our way and help our cause.

Will be well please if we are still in top 6 this evening. Hopefully better.

Norwich host Swansea so we are guaranteed top six going into the international break.

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@PHILINFRANCE

Am I coming up to my 90th birthday? And, if I recall correctly from one of your previous posts, until recently - and, obviously, this season - still walked from and back to Temple Meads before and after matches.

Actually it wasn't my first game at Ninian Park. That was back in 1950. My Dad came from Tonypandy ( his Dad born in Claverham but that's another story) and we went to see Cardiff play a couple or three times each season when visiting my grandparents. I saw Portsmouth who had won the First Division twice in 1949 and 1950. The Wolves team of 1953 was awesome with England captain Billy Wright and I was very fortunate to have a working class father who preferred to save his spare money for football, rugby and cricket instead of going to the pub every evening like many of our neighbours. And, of course, to pay for a very good education. 

I hope I never stop enjoying the thrill of live matches. I'm not alone like that as it was the only way to see a game. Get off your backside and off to a stadium.

Come on You Reds forever!

Hopefully, you will get to watch both the football and rugby at Ashton Gate some time next year 🤞.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a couple of things to pick up from Friday.

Dan Bentley:

51A88970-CD64-49F5-AC07-F8746597CBEB.jpeg.6d14e85299a904c1e00fc3b9b0bf07a7.jpeg
Tried to play out from the back, avoiding going long to Martin...but when he did, he generally found his target (Martin) but the result was usually a loose ball.

Zak Vyner:

8A6FFE67-29D0-4C92-BD93-8F4281F53DA1.thumb.jpeg.02d6fdf56c729f74352ab067a7baec7c.jpeg
Playing on the right side of a two rather than a three looks like Zak’s passing constrained / safer.  Very few driven balls into the channel, where his percentages drop.  Season Overall 72%, Friday 89%.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...