IGNORED

Massive credit Holden

Bassomylord

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Loved his post match for Sky. Passionate, dogged, and a nice touch saying about ordinary football fans having it tough in corona times. Starting to really like him.

I thought Danny Gabbidon was really fair on Sky tonight too. I like that guy a lot.

I’m glad somebody mentioned this

Assuming it was similar to his Radio Bristol 

What thoughtful words.....and more importantly he came across as not a football manager saying what he thinks he should but said with obvious genuine thoughts

Ive really taken to him as a person too  , someone good to have alongside you in any situation

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

We didn't need it, we were winning

Yeah that's result based analysis and that has a lot of flaws. So I'm not going to agree with that.

6 minutes ago, sludge said:

Just enjoy the 3 points mate. Worry about performances when our injury list doesn’t look like a starting XI ?

I can do both. It's o.k. to do both.

53 minutes ago, La Plage said:

Possible slating alert!!! Great win always take 3 points away especially in a derby game, love his enthusiasm BUT had 1 of those shots gone in from a very poor Cardiff team, there was no plan B there, yes it’s bare bones and 8 injuries but let’s all just keep some perspective. Great shift well done Dean and the team but...............

I’d say the perspective is it’s a great result with the players we had available & the options we had. Not exactly a lot that could be done with those options & considering the change of formation etc. Only 16 fit experienced pro’s available & 2 of those are goal keepers.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘low in playing well’?  We defended fantastically against a side chucking the kitchen sink at us for 90 minutes.  Brilliant performance.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

From an attacking sense, possession, creativity etc. Defended well of course.

....and as critical we can be of defensive stuff and individual errors, you’ve got to say we defended well tonight, and that’s half the game.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

I'd personally say we haven't played really well for a whole half since Sheff Wednesday, so I DO think it's every week at the minute. It's a fair point about the squad, and I agree, and I'm waiting to see a close to full strength team play to make a better judgement over all.

I'm not too high and not too low. It's great to be picking up wins like this against teams like Cardiff while we're struggling with availability.

I think when I watch non-City games I rarely come away thinking a team has dominated a 45 let alone a 90.  Ebbs and flows are the standard bearer in the Champ.  As City fans I think we generally err on the negative side....hence if you make a statement like “we haven’t played well for a whole half” you’re probably right but I’d argue “what do you expect”.

Fine margins and all that. ?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

....and as critical we can be of defensive stuff and individual errors, you’ve got to say we defended well tonight, and that’s half the game.

I think when I watch non-City games I rarely come away thinking a team has dominated a 45 let alone a 90.  Ebbs and flows are the standard bearer in the Champ.  As City fans I think we generally err on the negative side....hence if you make a statement like “we haven’t played well for a whole half” you’re probably right but I’d argue “what do you expect”.

Fine margins and all that. ?

I'd expect 1 half of football out of 16 where we're the dominant team for a large % of it. So for example, when we were 1-0 down at Huddersfield, we didn't really put them under pressure like Cardiff did to us today at 1-0. We did win, and Cardiff didn't, but that's results and not performances IMO. Where were the "ooh we nearly scored" or "we're putting them under real pressure" bit of play vs Hudd?

Which brings me to the initial point I made on this thread. How are you convinced this isn't the same as last season? I'm not convinced yet, there's the reasons we always bring up for hope, and there's excuses we can make. But sometime in this season, we're going to  have to play the top teams, either to get the points to win promotion or a playoff place, or in the playoffs themselves.

Against my top 5, we're draw - Swansea, Loss B'mouth, Loss Norwich. What was last season? Win games early on and not play that well, and get generally smacked by top teams. Away to Fulham excepted. Then fall off at the end. 

So, delighted to be second, yet to see how this is sustainable over the course of the season. I think we are who I thought we are. 6-10th ish. Which btw, is fine for me in year 1!

6 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I'd expect 1 half of football out of 16 where we're the dominant team for a large % of it. So for example, when we were 1-0 down at Huddersfield, we didn't really put them under pressure like Cardiff did to us today at 1-0. We did win, and Cardiff didn't, but that's results and not performances IMO. Where were the "ooh we nearly scored" or "we're putting them under real pressure" bit of play vs Hudd?

I think we’ve had a few...Cov second half, Stoke most of both halves, Wednesday second half.

Which brings me to the initial point I made on this thread. How are you convinced this isn't the same as last season? I'm not convinced yet, there's the reasons we always bring up for hope, and there's excuses we can make. But sometime in this season, we're going to  have to play the top teams, either to get the points to win promotion or a playoff place, or in the playoffs themselves.

Losing Mawson has had an effect on the possession football from the back, so we are having to adjust.  That’s put pressure on other parts of our game.  Agree that we will have to get points against the better teams at some point.  But we aren’t at full strength either.  Most sides will suffer injuries so we can’t get carried away.  Two wins doesn’t change the fact that we are a side with 6/8 or so others that are probably playing for 5th / 6th...but two wins helps give an indication that we can be near the top of that mini-group.

Against my top 5, we're draw - Swansea, Loss B'mouth, Loss Norwich. What was last season? Win games early on and not play that well, and get generally smacked by top teams. Away to Fulham excepted. Then fall off at the end. 

So, delighted to be second, yet to see how this is sustainable over the course of the season. I think we are who I thought we are. 6-10th ish. Which btw, is fine for me in year 1!

Agree.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we’ve had a few...Cov second half, Stoke most of both halves, Wednesday second half.

I literally said since Sheff Weds, and say 16 halves, i.e. the 8 games we've played after that game ? and you name performances before that and including it.

Agree with the other things.

Good performance but I must say we did the same under Johnson too.

We need that extra outlet in these types of performances. You can't keep letting teams have that amount of the ball and hope to survive.

I know we beat them lot across the bridge and can relish in it for a couple weeks before Derby but we've had very similar performances to that in the last 3 or 4 years and we didn't have that plan B when things start crumbling - January and beyond.

I'm pleased with tonight but i'm not gunna get carried away, a better team with better attacking options instead of longball could have killed us off very easily with the amount of possession we were squandering.

Archived