IGNORED

The best form of Callum O'Dowda's career.

Prinny

On the 28th after the news of And Weimann broke I said this about Callum O'Dowda

"But genuinely, he has all the tools to play this 8 role, if he can't, he can't play any role. He can carry the ball, he can work hard, and he has the pace to hurt the opposition. He just never does it consistently, so let's give him one final chance.

I want to see him have a chance in the 8 role until the international break.

If he doesn't perform, he can stay in Ireland. Or swim back. I'm done with him if he fails to take this chance."

And while he's a very flawed player IMO, he's basically been the best he's ever been for us in a four game spell. His ability to carry the ball forwards and draw fouls has been really good. He's working hard, he isn't the best defensively, but he has been at least trying to go into tackles.

So do people believe that "You haven't seen the best of me yet!" https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/you-haven-t-seen-the-best-of-me-yet-o-dowda/ ?

Or is this, as good as it gets? Obviously as soon as Williams is fit, I'm bringing him into the team, but Callum has shown enough to compete for a place, rather than being offloaded over these four games IMO.

And also, he doesn't have to swim back anymore. Well done Callum!

Just now, Prinny said:

On the 28th after the news of And Weimann broke I said this about Callum O'Dowda

"But genuinely, he has all the tools to play this 8 role, if he can't, he can't play any role. He can carry the ball, he can work hard, and he has the pace to hurt the opposition. He just never does it consistently, so let's give him one final chance.

If he doesn't perform, he can stay in Ireland. Or swim back. I'm done with him if he fails to take this chance."

And while he's a very flawed player IMO, he's basically been the best he's ever been for us in a four game spell. His ability to carry the ball forwards and draw fouls has been really good. He's working hard, he isn't the best defensively, but he has been at least trying to go into tackles.

So do people believe that "You haven't seen the best of me yet!" https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/you-haven-t-seen-the-best-of-me-yet-o-dowda/ ?

Or is this, as good as it gets? Obviously as soon as Willaims is fit, I'm bringing him into the team, but Callum has shown enough to compete for a place, rather than being offloaded over these four games IMO.

If this is the best form of his career then unfortunately he wont be good enough if we are to progress. Still one of the first names to get out the door if we are eventually to trim squad.

He's done well since Weimann's injury showing good energy on the press and he carries the ball well. Defensively he does OK getting goal side but he is weak in the tackle. I don't know whether he has a fear of further injuries but instead of putting his foot in he tries to be too clever and looks to flick the ball away around opposition players. 

You'd think he'd drop out once Williams and Walsh are fit but I hope we're not putting too much pressure on these two players. Talented they certainly are but I've yet to see either of them walk on water. 

Anyone who saw away games 3seasons back just prior to his bad  him and ainjury saw the best  6 games for is

Was good tonight I'm delighted for him and the coaches who have stood by him. Still feel when carrying the ball he doubles back into trouble more than necessary. 

Good to see a positive thread after another away win, (nowhere near the performance heights of last seasons win there) but its still 3 good points

He breaks with acres of green grass ahead of him, perfect for him to get his head down and run, like he does best...

Oh no. He’s ******* turned back on himself into three defenders and lost the ball cheaply. He did this three or four times in 20 minutes. 

Definitely not good enough in my opinion if we want to be mixing it at the top end of this league. 

Been very good last few games.  People need to try and think what tonight would have looked like without him. Nobody else was trying to drive us forward.  

Jurgen Klopp said today that he cannot help people who cannot see how good Firmino is.  Same could be said about O’Dowda. 

Some of the things he tries might not come off and I guess that’s what people remember. Need to see the things he brings as well.  Good to see that more and more fans are rating him higher as each game goes by 

Good game tonight overall.  Did some really good stuff tonight, but some frustrating stuff too...but I’ll take his overall performance, that’s what we need.  None of our players are perfect, a d his good stuff outweighed the other stuff tonight.  Unlucky with the shot headed over, and you could see more confidence to try a long ranger a few minutes later.  I don’t mind that.

I think that one move second half where the ran away from Moore, checked, ran away from him and another player, checked back again and lost it, summed him up perfectly.  I’m shouting “now knock it past Bacuna and chase after it” and he ran back into trouble.  ???

As I said he’s raised his baseline from ineffective to mixed to generally good.  I hope he keeps it going. ??????

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think people see the work he gets through. Stat wise I don't know, maybe he doesn't seem so good. Who cares, he played well and played a big part in us winning that game tonight.

What is it about him and Norwich and Cardiff ???

Hehe, he played well tonight.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good game tonight overall.  Did some really good stuff tonight, but some frustrating stuff too...but I’ll take his overall performance, that’s what we need.  None of our players are perfect, a d his good stuff outweighed the other stuff tonight.  Unlucky with the shot headed over, and you could see more confidence to try a long ranger a few minutes later.  I don’t mind that.

I think that one move second half where the ran away from Moore, checked, ran away from him and another player, checked back again and lost it, summed him up perfectly.  I’m shouting “now knock it past Bacuna and chase after it” and he ran back into trouble.  ???

As I said he’s raised his baseline from ineffective to mixed to generally good.  I hope he keeps it going. ??????

To be fair with that run he had beaten 3 or 4 players & had absolutely no support, so tried to get into a position where he could find a team mate but gave the ball away.

I’m not a huge fan of his but to be fair to him he has gone from not featuring at all before Weimann got injured to be asked to play 90 minutes three times this week & unsurprisingly looked he pretty shattered by the last 20 minutes.

He will have an important part to play with Weimann out until next season, either as a sub or a starter.

I think he’s done alright in there. Certainly doesn’t deserve the stick he gets! He’s the only player we have that can drive us forward. Trouble is with that he’s left with little options if his teammates haven’t gone with him to receive the ball, which happened a lot tonight.

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think people see the work he gets through. Stat wise I don't know, maybe he doesn't seem so good. Who cares, he played well and played a big part in us winning that game tonight.

I think it’s as Gary Owers said on RB tonight,  some City fans will never give him credit when he plays well. 

Quite the opposite tonight. Thought he looked weak!

I made the conscious effort to watch him specifically for large parts of the game. Always half a second too late to the loose ball. Always behind the play rather than making tackles. 

His short passing is poor, got criticised on sky for his misplaced passes when wells was in. Runs down blind alleys and looks too hesitant to run at defences.

9 hours ago, Prinny said:

I’d forgotten that on the 28th, after the news of Andi Weimann broke, you’d said this ??

Youre right though, this is the most impact he’s had in a city shirt in 4 years. My concern with him is that for all his athleticism and ball control, he just seems to lack any clue as to why he is doing something or what the end product should be.

But then if he excelled in these departments he’d be playing at a higher level.

11 hours ago, Prinny said:

Or is this, as good as it gets? Obviously as soon as Williams is fit, I'm bringing him into the team, but Callum has shown enough to compete for a place, rather than being offloaded over these four games IMO.

He seems like a confidence player, also prefer him in the middle than on the wing and anyone that’s in and out the team isn’t going to have the form, I think he’s doing well 

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I actually think his decision making is pretty good. He sometimes lacks support so will keep hold of it which might give the impression he doesn't know what he's doing with it, but that is actually a quality not many other of our midfielders have. Weimann certainly won't even try and keep the ball at all, and probably because he knows he will lose it.

It seems some expect O'Dowda to go on runs with the ball when we are leading 1-0. I think it's good he doesn't get his head down and run every time, especially when hanging on to a lead. When leading we have to think about where we are on the pitch when we lose the ball. He has never looked scared to go at a player with the ball, but sometimes it's best to take the sensible option.

He played well last night and I’m one of his biggest critics . I will disagree that he doesn’t get the support. He does run down blind alleys , and a few times when he could of pushed the ball into space and try to take the pressure off by winning a throw or corner , he turned into trouble. He also switched off and let Wilson  run off him just after we scored , the ball bounced awkwardly and the chance went. 
However, he did a lot more right than wrong . A much improved performance. Needs to kick on further now.

He is doing more right than wrong in the last few games. Many have commented the same as I will. He does the hard work of moving us up the pitch with the ball, yet ignores the opportunity to completely leave opponents trailing by not having the vision or confidence to take the plunge.

Several times last night, he beat three or four, only to turn back into the chasing pack and lose the ball. I really wonder if it is his reading of a game (football brain) that is the problem. He does not see situations in advance; he is therefore reactive instead of proactive and it is nigh impossible to coach him in that aspect.

LJ thought he could make it as a midfielder, DH obviously agrees. I think he is half way there.

He has plenty of energy and is a lot stronger than he used to be. He enables us to play vertically with his direct running. He now needs to make better decisions and execute better at the end of those runs. Some of that seems to be down to confidence.

Until Williams is back his place is under no great threat so he now has a chance to improve on his weaknesses with a good run in the side.

LJ thought he could make it as a midfielder, DH obviously agrees. 

As does his international manager who has used him there more than we had until recently. 

10 hours ago, forestofdean said:

the problem I have with cod is he don't eat enough Weetabix,pushed of the ball way to easy,needs to bulk up a bit

He knows when to go down, there is a big difference between that and being brushed off the ball.

11 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

One of his better games tonight dispite him giving away numerous needless free kicks,will keep running about for 90 minutes so that’s a bonus when we need to defend deep after 60 minutes 

To be fair, had he been on the home team most of the “fouls” would have been waved away by that ref, just look at the Kalas yellow, his collision was due to a trip from a Cardiff player!

Archived