IGNORED

Our Set Pieces

DaveF

Three players off their game tonight:JD, Pato and yet again Wells. 

Good performances from Bentley, Zak, Kalas, Hunt, CoD, Martin, Semenyo and overall just deserved it. Shows how good we were there last season with a better Cardiff side against us. Arguable if we are approaching last seasons standards, I we're getting there 

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Good performances from Bentley, Zak, Kalas, Hunt, CoD, Martin, Semenyo and overall just deserved it. Shows how good we were there last season with a better Cardiff side against us. Arguable if we are approaching last seasons standards, I we're getting there 

Nonsense about Wells, he was asked to play out of position on the left of a 3 & did a decent job.

Usually think his body language is pretty ropey but certainly put a shift in tonight in a less than glamorous role.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Awful aren't they?

Great win tonight but pretty much every free-kick and corner were appalling today! Without Brunt (I know) or Walsh in the team we really waste these opportunities. 

Terrible at defending them too...got lucky tonight with poor finishing.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Funny how people see the game differently. I though Jay Dasilva had a solid game at left-back, Wells played in a position that he is clearly not suited to and yet gave a good account and Pato did what he always does and shows flashes of brilliance and creativity. Funny how all three were involved in the goal that set us up for the win.

Whilst all three have not been at arguably their best across the last month, getting the blend out of this squad is the key thing. Tonight, 1-0, thanks very much.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Funny how people see the game differently. I though Jay Dasilva had a solid game at left-back, Wells played in a position that he is clearly not suited to and yet gave a good account and Pato did what he always does and shows flashes of brilliance and creativity. Funny how all three were involved in the goal that set us up for the win.

Whilst all three have not been at arguably their best across the last month, getting the blend out of this squad is the key thing. Tonight, 1-0, thanks very much.

loud shout yes, 90 odd minuets of nail biting, tea delayed until the end of game none of my welsh friends texted me.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Today they were awful.

I think they're in peoples minds atm after 2-3 really bad performances by especially Brunt and also Paterson/O'Dowda on them.

Usually we're ok.

Except throw ins. Where we've never been good.

Don’t want to moan about anything this weekend after a derby win and clean sheet - but we really have been awful at throw ins for as long as I can remember! Its frustrated me more than it should for years. 

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

I thought Dasilva was excellent first half, quieter second half.  Think his ball receiving first half was exquisite.

Wells I thought really put in a shift tonight, and generally linked up well.  Was his blocked first-time shot on target early in second half?  First half he was really good at dragging Bacuna long and short....creating room for O’Dowda in the inside left channel.  Unselfish.

Pato was in and out tonight.  I initially wondered what he was doing when he played in Semenyo.  I thought he’d cut in on his left and had badly mis-hit a shot that the defender had sort of blocked.  Didn’t realise it was a disguised pass until I saw Semenyo race onto it.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree on Dasilva. Thought he was class

....and I think he suits LB more than LWB.

14 hours ago, Prinny said:

Today they were awful.

I think they're in peoples minds atm after 2-3 really bad performances by especially Brunt and also Paterson/O'Dowda on them.

Usually we're ok.

11 hours ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

Don’t want to moan about anything this weekend after a derby win and clean sheet - but we really have been awful at throw ins for as long as I can remember! Its frustrated me more than it should for years. 

Hörður M's throw ins weren't so bad. 

12 hours ago, richyy66 said:

For some reason we struggle to get the ball over the first man at free-kicks and corners. Reminds me of watching youth football - they seem to have the same problem !!!

Saying that great result tonight - Defence was superb.

The reason we often hit the first man is because we are trying whip them in with pace for the most part rather than launching the ball upwards for the keeper to come and claim (like Smithies did on the couple of occasions we did that). There was one corner first half where Paterson hit the first man and had his delivery been slightly better (ie a foot higher) it would have been 2-0.

14 hours ago, Prinny said:

Today they were awful.

Usually we're ok.

I seem to recall the combination of Magnússon and Djuric working pretty well but otherwise yea. We’re crap

Corners the majority of the time don’t get past man at front post, the rest of the time straight into keepers hands or if playing short, ends up back with our own keeper.

freekicks are also more often than not hit and miss. We have players that can score directly but we often choose against trying that. When a ball is played in that zone of uncertainty, there is also often no one ever gambling on getting on the end.

id go as far as to say we probably don’t spend much time on set pieces.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

We are one of those teams that really seem to struggle with throwins 

Since when did Marlon Pack have that long throw in his locker 

For me, I believe we were so concerned about Cardiffs height advantage that we over complicated our dead balls 

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Hörður M's throw ins weren't so bad. 

Sure distance wise he was good, iirc Brownhill was half decent too. Neither used as effectively as they could’ve been though. I was thinking more of the simple short throw ins anyway. We never seem to take them quick enough, enabling the opposition to organise, and then never had enough movement to lose the marker. 

Having said that I don’t remember throw ins frustrating me so much this season so maybe we have improved?

It feels like when we get a throw in it is to the opposing teams advantage as we just launch it long and it comes straight back the way it came with an opposition player.  Or like the post above, we take way to long and let the other team organise.  Fair enough to waste time later on in the second half but not all through the game.  

And yes, our free kicks are crap, especially when we play it backward and it ends up going to the keeper when we should be getting players in the box. What a waste! That frustrates me.

14 minutes ago, Coin-op said:

It feels like when we get a throw in it is to the opposing teams advantage as we just launch it long and it comes straight back the way it came with an opposition player.  Or like the post above, we take way to long and let the other team organise.  Fair enough to waste time later on in the second half but not all through the game.  

And yes, our free kicks are crap, especially when we play it backward and it ends up going to the keeper when we should be getting players in the box. What a waste! That frustrates me.

In the last two games we’ve tended to go down the line from throw-ins, but up until then we’ve generally seen some little planned moves that keep the ball....which were devoid under LJ.  It is basic stuff that is t practiced enough.

Archived