IGNORED

Bentley

TomThumb84

Some will obviously disagree with this but the guy is some keeper at this level.

Best keepers I ever played with had presence, communicated well, caught well, and kicked well and stopped more than went in. Problem with keepers is, majority of goals that go in can be attributed to things they could have done as they are the last line.

For me he is up there with the best we have had in a long time.

8 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Some will obviously disagree with this but the guy is some keeper at this level.

Best keepers I ever played with had presence, communicated well, caught well, and kicked well and stopped more than went in. Problem with keepers is, majority of goals that go in can be attributed to things they could have done as they are the last line.

For me he is up there with the best we have had in a long time.

Totally agree , and said from day one , including when he was being torn apart by some on here

A match winning , point gaining keeper,  who I wouldn’t swap with anyone outside the Prem personally 

Yes he will make the odd error , every keeper in history has , but he will make saves and put in performances that others couldn’t and win us points

I go back as far as Gibson , but he’s right up there 

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Best keepers I ever played with had presence, communicated well, caught well, and kicked well and stopped more than went in

Blimey, so, they ticked every box?! - given that criteria you must have played at the top level in the game with an array of brilliant keepers - are you Paolo Maldini by any chance?! 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Blimey, so, they ticked every box?! - given that criteria you must have played at the top level in the game with an array of brilliant keepers - are you Paolo Maldini by any chance?! 

All about relevance. How many did Nelly tick?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All about relevance. How many did Nelly tick?

Pretty much all of them - he was offered a contract by City, Rovers, Watford and Pompey - he asked me my opinion and I told him to go to Watford, because at the time their goalkeeping coach was Pat Jennings - in the end he turned them all down and followed a career in IT - he would definitely have made it in football in my opinion - he was 6 ft 5 when we were 13 years old - and that was why we got in all the pubs in and around Briz - sadly many of them are closed and long gone now ...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pretty much all of them - he was offered a contract by City, Rovers, Watford and Pompey - he asked me my opinion and I told him to go to Watford, because at the time their goalkeeping coach was Pat Jennings - in the end he turned them all down and followed a career in IT - he would definitely have made it in football in my opinion - he was 6 ft 5 when we were 13 years old - and that was why we got in all the pubs in and around Briz - sadly many of them are closed and long gone now ...

I heard he turned them down because he’d heard there was a young centre-half he’d like to play behind!!!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So also, by your logic, if you can kick a a ball, and score, in a goal, you are Pele? I think there are some levels, context and perspective to my post which I hope many here understand.

7 hours ago, deadratinmycider said:

Had a dip in form last season but has come back in brilliant form this season so far. Not sure what has happened but he looks re-born an long may it continue!

He had a real drop in form last season, but bounced back really well. Tonight we needed him to come for the balls into the box and he did. Really solid tonight 

Couple of really good saves, including one which was given offside IIRC. 

Was calm, handled well, and dealt with everything he should have done on top of those saves.

I played a lot of my football (albeit mainly with school, mates and 5 a side) in goal, so take a big interest in the goalkeepers. The last top goalkeeper we had was Heaton, and even in that horrible season where he was being peppered with shots left right and centre, he was probably one of, if not the best player that season. I said he'd go on to play at the top level, and he has done that. 

Bentley could still play in the Prem at some point in his career. Yes he still makes a few mistakes, but nobody in that position is error free. At 27 he could still have another 10+ years in him. 

For me, MOTM yesterday was deservedly Kalas, but thought Bentley was a close second.

The bit I liked was when he came for corner right at the end and didn’t get there, which happens, but right after the next inswinger gets put in and he came again and caught it. That’s what you need from your keeper and I’ve seen plenty, like Flapper, who would have gone the easy option and left it to his centre half to try and head away in that situation.

Archived