IGNORED

Vyner

Bs4Red

Just now, redsocks said:

Like I said hes not a right back.why nigel thinks he is I dont know.hes just got a new full back in why not play him he cant do any worser than what we already have.ps the crossing last night was shite.not just from vyner but the whole team.why cant they beat the first man.they must practice in training.or maybe not.

The same as Baker not being a left back. We did look far better once JD came on and Baker went to CB although why he started with that team was bizarre.

These sort of threads do show who has a clue about football.

Vyner has strengths and weaknesses like all our players. Up to now he's been used in 3 different positions.  I like the fact that he's been told RB is you, Concentrate on that.

He will improve and we'll see him settle there. Personally I would like to see Tanner played in front of him to provide a bit of thrust, energy and protection as has been done on our left. There was a reason why Massengo was put there and it wasn't his crossing ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

These sort of threads do show who has a clue about football.

Vyner has strengths and weaknesses like all our players. Up to now he's been used in 3 different positions.  I like the fact that he's been told RB is you, Concentrate on that.

He will improve and we'll see him settle there. Personally I would like to see Tanner played in front of him to provide a bit of thrust, energy and protection as has been done on our left. There was a reason why Massengo was put there and it wasn't his crossing ability.

100%.

This stuff about “he’s not a right back” he made his debut there for us, for ****’s sake. He certainly isn’t a striker but to say he “isn’t a RB” is nonsense.

Defensively he’s been pretty solid, once last night he got turned but v Preston got in a superb last man tackle when we were caught with too many forward.

Last night his crossing was poor but with Scott horribly off the pace, did at least give us an out ball.

I have no way of knowing how good Tanner is, because I have never seen him play but would have no problem at all with him starting at QPR.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I think Tanner is (and I hate to use this expression) one for the future. How far the future is away is  uncertain but I don’t think he’s going to come to the rescue in the next few months 

I hate the expression “he’s one of our own”. Whether a player has come from the academy or via a transfer is irrelevant. It’s their ability that counts. Prior to this season he’s played at full back, so he should have got the hang of it by now. If he’s not naturally a footballer he’s not going to make it in any position in the Championship 

He’s played at fullback earlier in his career at City and NP believes this is his best position. I can’t imagine he would be able to dislodge Kallas, Atkinson, or Baker as a central defender. 

I don’t think he’s good enough . Good point as in it’s irrelevant he’s a youth product . Slightly better than Taylor Moore . 

5 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Agree with Fevs on most things but not this. The RHS first  half was shocking  with no link up play between Scott & Zak and zero threat. Not surprised it was changed. Would love to hear where the staff actually see Zak’s best position? NP stated at start of season he knew Zak’s best position…I would take Simpson in front of Zak any day of the week, and we have not spent £300k on Tanner for him to develop in 18 months time…we will see him sooner rather than later.  
If Zak going to do anything for us central defender..but he is down that pecking order as well

Where do you sit DT?  

5 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Maybe its our position in the ground Dave as me & Josh thought similar. Though he played 1 awful pass to Weiman when we had a break. However,  picking the wrong pass when in a promising position is 1 of out common failings.

Whilst we were more solid 2nd half, they still carved us open down the right somewhat. 

It's hard to figure exactly where the issue is, but it does worry me how easy teams slice us open & if we're that open v Fulham it will be all over by half time.

2 subs by the start of the 2nd half is very un-Nige like, hopefully it won't be a regular occurrence.  

I think the home form has def got into the players heads & we're so nervous defending a lead late on.  Shame as I think the fans have been excellent in the last 2 games.

Tony sits just below me in LS near SS.

3 hours ago, grifty said:

I thought Vyner had a good defensive display yesterday, but his crosses are from too deep, and Martin can't win a header so it's always cleared. I'd like to see Zac power down the line as he does have pace and reasonable ball skill. Get closer to the byline and whip a few balls in knee high.

I agree.  Think Scott having a poor 37 mins in front of him didn’t help.  Shame for Scott, got a heavy challenge early on and didn’t seem himself.

3 hours ago, redsocks said:

Like I said hes not a right back.why nigel thinks he is I dont know.hes just got a new full back in why not play him he cant do any worser than what we already have.ps the crossing last night was shite.not just from vyner but the whole team.why cant they beat the first man.they must practice in training.or maybe not.

Yet, the professional manager thinks he is.  As did the Rotherham manager.  He has most of the attributes to be a very decent RB at this level.  He does need to work on his feet in one v ones though.

Its funny whenever we don’t win, there has to be a scapegoat.  Vyner is the leading candidate to be pounced on after a game.  None of the critics prepared to give him credit though v Cardiff for example…..silence.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Packman said:

He had a very good game against Preston I thought but got absolutely no credit on here, remember a fantastic last ditch tackle he did which definitely saved us a goal. Yeah he wasn't great tonight but nobody had a good game, he didn't really have much protection in front on him.

Looks like we've found ourselves this years scapegoat anyway. We've got to stop digging out our players all the time, it really doesn't help them.

This thread is literally from last season when I said the same thing you clown 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where do you sit DT?  

I am in Dolman Midway between half way line and pen area.  I had a cracking view of the RHS of the pitch first half.  Wish I had not?  I said to the guy I go with halfway through first half that it simply was not working and nothing from Zak & Scott.  Then 5 minutes later Scotts off. Then as we saw, Zak does not reappear second half.   We just seemed balanced gain after the break.  

The old saying square pegs in round holes.  I understand the need for big guys against Cardiff, and Bates at LB, but that should not be the norm...  I will say it quietly but we are missing Jack Hunt !

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I am in Dolman Midway between half way line and pen area.  I had a cracking view of the RHS of the pitch first half.  Wish I had not?  I said to the guy I go with halfway through first half that it simply was not working and nothing from Zak & Scott.  Then 5 minutes later Scotts off. Then as we saw, Zak does not reappear second half.   We just seemed balanced gain after the break.  

The old saying square pegs in round holes.  I understand the need for big guys against Cardiff, and Bates at LB, but that should not be the norm...  I will say it quietly but we are missing Jack Hunt !

Ta.  The beauty of watching live from different view points.  I thought the majority of our build up play first half was down “your side” (our right).  Very little came from our left apart from a couple of runs from Pring.  I was quite encouraged by Zak from the far side.

Vyner does go long too quickly at times, that’s an area to improve no doubt.

Some boring stats ???

1st half, passes 158 made / 112 success (71%) - Zak 36 / 23 (64%)

2nd half, passes 115 / 87 (76%)

Stats summary: heavily involved, made 23% of our passes just not very accurately.  I don’t always present stats to prove my point, this shows he was wasteful with the ball.  So I see / concede to your view from closer. ??

358041E5-24CC-4703-BC7C-47F5BD8253F5.thumb.jpeg.cad7d7f097aa833cef994e308254505c.jpeg

But it probably does show it’s when he passes longer that he lets himself down. The link up with Scott wasn’t there.

I still think he defended well.  One near post challenge on Jerome, and one brilliant interception from a Lansbury pass, where after intercepting he got his body in position to win the next challenge.78691FF9-E54C-4664-BB77-3B561AA90B70.thumb.jpeg.30821a0974bb4dd51dd49f8d24e56f07.jpeg

46905533-22ED-45B6-9799-B1D6480144CE.thumb.jpeg.3ef3fc331c8f036c11bac47593f2777b.jpeg

He isn’t perfect, but I still reckon he’s alright. ?

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will be interesting to see if Kalas stays at right back. Pearson was much happier with the 2nd half display.

Guess the unknown is whether Pearson was happy with the second half because of Kalas or as a team overall?  I thought for 20-25 mins second half we were pretty much in total control, and scored in that spell too.

Second question is - if we think Vyner isn’t good enough going forward, do we expect Kalas to offer more?  As a fan base a lot are pretty anti-Baker at LB because of his limitations on the ball.  Does Kalas offer more?

Or what is more likely is that if we play 3 CBs (Kalas at RB, Atkinson and Baker) that frees up Nige to play Dasilva to play LB.  if that’s the logic then I can happily get my head around it.

You’ll know I’m quite an advocate of lopsided / non symmetrical shapes / formations.

Watch this space!!!  Well on Saturday anyway.

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Vyner's forward passing wasn't very good last night. Thought his crosses were mainly from a difficult angle to really threaten Luton's defence. Maybe if we had Wood and Barnes up there then some of them would have looked like better crosses with strikers that would be more of a threat in the air. Just the wrong way of playing for us, but surely just following Pearson's orders.

Will be interesting to see if Kalas stays at right back. Pearson was much happier with the 2nd half display. I posted in the summer that if Simpson and Vyner are the 2 right backs this season then it would not surprise me if we end up in a situation where Kalas plays right back for us.

The reason for me thinking that is that if we have 2 other good centre backs, which we now currently do, then if Kalas is a better than Simpson and Vyner at right back then why wouldn't Pearson go with him there.

He has played there plenty of times in the past. I think Simpson has mainly been okay so far. Vyner was good against Blackpool and Cardiff. It seems neither full back position is taken at the moment.

It's because he isn't forward thinking as he is a central defender. Either play him in a back 3 or don't play him at all.

2 hours ago, Super said:

It's because he isn't forward thinking as he is a central defender. Either play him in a back 3 or don't play him at all.

Vyner made his debut at RB - it’s not an unfamiliar position to him but certainly against Luton he failed to overlap or push up to the byline to work a better angle. Consequently his crosses were easily defended.

Hopefully Nige and his coaches will be working on that with Vyner.

• Like 1

In the Modern game FB's are such an important position. Vyner has the defensive ability, but not enough going forward. Probably the exact opposite of Dasilva on the other side who is good going forward, but defensively a bit weaker than Vyner. To get that perfect balance is rare. Baker is not a FB, nor Kalas. They should only be used in specific games, like Cardiff when NP wanted to match their height. The FB position for city this year is certainly interesting.

On 16/09/2021 at 08:46, redsocks said:

Yes, it’s astonishing how badly we’re playing considering what a superb manager we’ve got, isn’t it?

On 06/11/2020 at 22:37, Bs4Red said:

Just interested on peoples views not just tonight but overall. 

For me he is so far out of his depth it would be the one position I’d be looking to reinforce come January. 

I just feel his positioning is woeful and his passing for a “ball player” is below par. 

Seen lots of views on tonight saying he played well but again thought he was very lucky that Moore didn’t get a couple after he lost him at a few corners. 

Overall I just feel we constantly say “he’s young” “he’s learning” but how long can this go on? Him and Moore will be the undoing of promotion if they play 40+ games 

Year on, I stand by this. 

On 06/11/2020 at 22:37, Bs4Red said:

Just interested on peoples views not just tonight but overall. 

For me he is so far out of his depth it would be the one position I’d be looking to reinforce come January. 

I just feel his positioning is woeful and his passing for a “ball player” is below par. 

Seen lots of views on tonight saying he played well but again thought he was very lucky that Moore didn’t get a couple after he lost him at a few corners. 

Overall I just feel we constantly say “he’s young” “he’s learning” but how long can this go on? Him and Moore will be the undoing of promotion if they play 40+ games 

Over 2 years of watching him steal a living at this club. Surely he goes in the summer