IGNORED

Brunt

marcofisher

A good win tonight - but it was a comically given away hand ball by Brunt that Cardiff could have quite easily scored from if someone had been a split second sharper and got on the end of the delivery from the resulting set piece.

He has had a fair few chances now to make an impression, how many more poor performances does he need to e left out completely? 

I was all for Massengo going out on loan for some match experience when Morrell was still here. I would be fuming if I were him currently. Not getting in the team over a 35 year old fullback/winger playing in central midfield, a position he has seemingly not played in before, who looks horribly off the pace and making some seriously amateurish mistakes. 

Utterly baffling signing when at the time we had Morrell on the up after being POTY at Lincoln (far more impressive on loan than Bakinson for example who has also excelled when given the chance) and a £4million Monaco academy graduate. 

I really hope this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back because it really annoys me seeing this ethos we have installed being backtracked upon for a player who looks significantly below the level we are aiming for. Without a doubt Massengo, who I have been critical of for his lack of contribution in either half before (due to age and practice rather than overall ability), would have performed a far better task of coming on and holding onto the ball and drawing fouls to close the game out; a significant strength of the young lad.

I’m not sure if any other fans feel this significant wave of disappointment that I do when I see Brunt playing over what seems a just as capable youngster? Every time he has played we have looked a significantly weaker unit as a result. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A good win tonight - but it was a comically given away hand ball by Brunt that Cardiff could have quite easily scored from if someone had been a split second sharper and got on the end of the delivery from the resulting set piece.

He has had a fair few chances now to make an impression, how many more poor performances does he need to e left out completely? 

I was all for Massengo going out on loan for some match experience when Morrell was still here. I would be fuming if I were him currently. Not getting in the team over a 35 year old fullback/winger playing in central midfield, a position he has seemingly not played in before, who looks horribly off the pace and making some seriously amateurish mistakes. 

Utterly baffling signing when at the time we had Morrell on the up after being POTY at Lincoln (far more impressive on loan than Bakinson for example who has also excelled when given the chance) and a £4million Monaco academy graduate. 

I really hope this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back because it really annoys me seeing this ethos we have installed being backtracked upon for a player who looks significantly below the level we are aiming for. Without a doubt Massengo, who I have been critical of for his lack of contribution in either half before (due to age and practice rather than overall ability), would have performed a far better task of coming on and holding onto the ball and drawing fouls to close the game out; a significant strength of the young lad.

I’m not sure if any other fans feel this significant wave of disappointment that I do when I see Brunt playing over what seems a just as capable youngster? Every time he has played we have looked a significantly weaker unit as a result. 

It's a signing that made a lot of sense.

Nagy massengo Morrell Walsh and William's are all inexperienced.....bakinson wasnt even in the picture. Brunt adds to this....can also fill in numerous positions ala Rowe. 1 year deal and assuming low wage due to age.

Whether his legs have gone is another argument.....either way can see why we signed him.

5 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

It's a signing that made a lot of sense.

Nagy massengo Morrell Walsh and William's are all inexperienced.....bakinson wasnt even in the picture. Brunt adds to this....can also fill in numerous positions ala Rowe. 1 year deal and assuming low wage due to age.

Whether his legs have gone is another argument.....either way can see why we signed him.

Martin, a 31 year old regular for Derby on a free made a lot of sense.

Brunt, a 35 year old who hadn’t started a game for two years or whatever the statistic was, did not make sense. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

We’ll see. If his experience helps get us over the promotion line where we have failed before, then his signing will have been worth it. Too early to judge for me. 

His “experience” has showed him to be awful against Norwich, where we had no control in the midfield. He was probably the worst player on the pitch against Huddersfield and as soon as he was subbed we gained dynamism in the midfield, and an awful handball tonight which could have easily cost us the three points. 

I think it is pretty clear he is struggling, there were 2 occasions tonight when he made mistakes (the handball was one of them) & he was clearly angry with himself.

Although we did have a lot of midfielders only Korey, (who we chose to release), had significant levels of experience, so I could certainly understand the logic of bringing him in.

My worry with him is that his legs appear to have gone, he didn’t start any games at all last season at West Brom & as he is 36 next month, he looks to me to be near the end.

However I do expect Holden to keep him in the 18, we have a large number of midfielders who seem to be struggling to get fit, he is vastly experienced & he is clearly close to one of our assistant head coaches.

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Martin, a 31 year old regular for Derby on a free made a lot of sense.

Brunt, a 35 year old who hadn’t started a game for two years or whatever the statistic was, did not make sense. 

Experience and leadership. 1 year deal. Support a very young midfield.....makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Experience and leadership. 1 year deal. Support a very young midfield.....makes sense to me.

Support them how, by making them having to sit so deep to cover how ridiculously off the pace he is? 

Bring in someone for experience who is actually up to the level you are playing at, ala Wade Elliot.

49 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Totally agree thought the game was crying out for Massengo" s energy rather than a plank coming on 

I was going to start a thread titled Brunt vs Massengo because I'm frustrated that Brunt gets the gametime.

Yes Brunt has height and experience, but Massengo has energy, pace and he's not lacking technique either. Remember how many free kicks Massengo used to win when shielding the ball? Well that's what you need when closing out a game - not handballs on the edge of the box.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I was going to start a thread titled Brunt vs Massengo because I'm frustrated that Brunt gets the gametime.

Yes Brunt has height and experience, but Massengo has energy, pace and he's not lacking technique either. Remember how many free kicks Massengo used to win when shielding the ball? Well that's what you need when closing out a game - not handballs on the edge of the box.

Exactly, it was crying out for someone like Massengo to get on the ball and buy fouls for the team to get us up the pitch.

Also, I’ve never remembered Brunt as having a particular aerial presence.

You can usually tell the tone of a thread/OP about a player based upon the title. So opening any thread entitled Brunt you kind of know what kind of OP your going to get.

Usually threads range in attacks on certain players are entitled Weimann Odowda Moore Diehdou etc. as the normal whipping boys. So it is kind of refreshing to have one entitled Brunt. 

Yep I yelled at the screen like the next girl at the handball, however his experience in a team with 8 EIGHT ******* first teamers crocked on and off the field will be invaluable. Just sayin. We have enough whipping boys!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Holden see's them all in training and you have to trust his judgement when picking the starting eleven. You also have to trust his judgement in game management when deciding who to bring on from the bench and when. So far he hasn't done a bad job considering he is only a quarter of the way into his first season as the organ grinder.

Been below average since being here im afraid - I assume good experienced pro off the pitch but well off the pace recently (& set pieces nothing special for us so far!)

Good pro for filling in here and there so no issues & I assume some sort of coaching thing here afterwards after he chose us over other clubs.

3 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yeh was getting at the point of so far not impressed with either watkins or Brunt.Brought in from managers or chief executives of former clubs of both .

Bit confused as to why you think Ashton is the link. Ashton left West Brom in 2004, at which point Brunt was a 20 year old at Sheffield Wednesday, three years away from joining West Brom.

Surely Keith Downing, who was assistant at West Brom whilst Brunt was actually there, is the far more relevant link?

The jury is still out for me in regards to Brunt. It doesn’t help asking him to play central midfield mind you when the bloke has never played there in his career. Central midfield or not though his legs do look gone though which is a worry.. maybe he is still getting up to speed but you’d have thought he would have been at the required level by now.

Even with all his experience he played a sublime pass to dean holden in the dying minutes of the game. Don’t get me wrong it was a lovely weighted pass.... but not what was needed at all! He had time to do anything other than panic and play it into touch! If thats what experience gets you then it’s a waste of time. 

42 minutes ago, bris red said:

The jury is still out for me in regards to Brunt. It doesn’t help asking him to play central midfield mind you when the bloke has never played there in his career. Central midfield or not though his legs do look gone though which is a worry.. maybe he is still getting up to speed but you’d have thought he would have been at the required level by now.

If his legs are gone in CM then playing him in a wide left role will be even more exposed. You can play centre mid and control a game by tempo and passing by barely moving

Archived