IGNORED

Nagy v Pack

Davefevs

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I didn't see much difference with Harris's Cardiff to Colin's Cardiff. A lot of long ball, aerial battles and some illegal physical challenges that went unpunished, eg. The Wilson two footed and off the ground, clattering of Bentley. 

Effective sometimes. Attractive and entertaining? No!

Got players such as Benkovic- ball carrying CB, and Harry Wilson- mind you I thought at start of last season with players like Cunningham, Reid and others they could've done better too!

It’s perhaps a little harsh but watch Pack for our goal on Friday. 

Wells turns him quickly, he can’t keep up, ball out to Paterson two more passes & it’s a goal. 

I think this is where Pack has always struggled, he’s very slow, any player with a bit of pace or low centre of gravity goes past him with ease. It’s why Bannan tore us apart almost every game whilst he was here etc. 

I really liked Pack, but that was always his biggest issue, his pace & agility.

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Wells turns him quickly, he can’t keep up, ball out to Paterson two more passes & it’s a goal. 

I think this is where Pack has always struggled, he’s very slow, any player with a bit of pace or low centre of gravity goes past him with ease. It’s why Bannan tore us apart almost every game whilst he was here etc. 

I think he could have been a Prem player had he been a bit quicker. He's exactly he sort of 'keep things ticking over' English midfielder that the likes of Burnley/Bournemouth/Sheffield United might have liked the look of.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

In my preview I talked about the DM2 for Cardiff....and that goal was a perfect example of the section “Mind The Gap” where I couldn’t come up with a pun about Pack.

just after Pato retrieves the ball from a bad Bennett pass.  Pack following Martin, Nagy in good position.  Ralls closing Paterson.  There’s a huge space in the centre of the picture...which is where COD is Hal-gambling.

EED01262-2CCF-4551-B431-DC61C48B2538.thumb.jpeg.84473b0714475eac281847191f6fdd3b.jpeg

Pato back to Vyner, who clips the ball into COD, and stayed in his feet.  Had Vyner gone down, because he was caught slightly, ref gives a foul, probably a yellow too.  But anyway, look at the space COD is in.  Pack 20 yards away, has decided to stop tracking Martin.  Cardiff’s midfielders caught behind the ball.  Something I moan at when City over commit.

COD plays it to Wells, Pack now on COD, but Dasilva joining in.

2960EF58-AECC-4F1C-A4E1-F8E6DDCA8556.thumb.jpeg.6b733d7f94d07678b8ac692e4d839323.jpeg

COD and Dasilva suck everyone away from where Wells want to go....towards goal.  Pack dragged 60 yards and then done by Wells, who just checks inside without needing any skill.

65449AF0-CF29-464C-9246-DC0D7F8B0265.thumb.jpeg.1c744d0fc4d41275ca80d3b9fcd149f4.jpeg

1 hour ago, spudski said:

One thing I have noticed stats wise, is how few passes we make compared to our opposition most games. Ours...generally in the 3 hundreds, opposition generally 4 to 5 hundred plus.

Lots more incomplete and misplaced passes too.

We are averaging 385 in the league (opp. 418).  Until the last couple of games where we’ve been in the 320s, we’ve generally made more passes than our opponents.

For me the dip is down in part to the loss of Alfie Mawson.  Our structured build-up and tempo came from him.  Big loss.

A22817D6-E4D0-499B-8F60-6B9BEFEAE12F.jpeg

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Got players such as Benkovic- ball carrying CB, and Harry Wilson- mind you I thought at start of last season with players like Cunningham, Reid and others they could've done better too!

I don’t see why they signed Wilson . The football they play is largely , lump it into the mixer . He would of suited Swansea or Brentford more than them . Same reason I thought Colin signing Bobby a strange choice . 

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pato back to Vyner, who clips the ball into COD, and stayed in his feet.  Had Vyner gone down, because he was caught slightly, ref gives a foul, probably a yellow too.  But anyway, look at the space COD is in.  Pack 20 yards away, has decided to stop tracking Martin.  Cardiff’s midfielders caught behind the ball.  Something I moan at when City over commit.

Vyner’s role early on here in the goal has been a bit overlooked.

I’ve watched the goal back a few times now & Paterson’s pass to him really isn’t great.

Not only does he react quickly enough to get there first, but he then plays a decent pass to O’Dowda, picking up a kick from a typical late Cardiff challenge for his troubles.

Well done to the ref too for playing the advantage.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

In my preview I talked about the DM2 for Cardiff....and that goal was a perfect example of the section “Mind The Gap” where I couldn’t come up with a pun about Pack.

just after Pato retrieves the ball from a bad Bennett pass.  Pack following Martin, Nagy in good position.  Ralls closing Paterson.  There’s a huge space in the centre of the picture...which is where COD is Hal-gambling.

EED01262-2CCF-4551-B431-DC61C48B2538.thumb.jpeg.84473b0714475eac281847191f6fdd3b.jpeg

2960EF58-AECC-4F1C-A4E1-F8E6DDCA8556.thumb.jpeg.6b733d7f94d07678b8ac692e4d839323.jpeg

COD and Dasilva suck everyone away from where Wells want to go....towards goal.  Pack dragged 60 yards and then done by Wells, who just checks inside without needing any skill.

65449AF0-CF29-464C-9246-DC0D7F8B0265.thumb.jpeg.1c744d0fc4d41275ca80d3b9fcd149f4.jpeg

We are averaging 385 in the league (opp. 418).  Until the last couple of games where we’ve been in the 320s, we’ve generally made more passes than our opponents.

For me the dip is down in part to the loss of Alfie Mawson.  Our structured build-up and tempo came from him.  Big loss.

Good point re Mawson Dave ?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Vyner’s role early on here in the goal has been a bit overlooked.

I’ve watched the goal back a few times now & Paterson’s pass to him really isn’t great.

Not only does he react quickly enough to get there first, but he then plays a decent pass to O’Dowda, picking up a kick from a typical late Cardiff challenge for his troubles.

Well done to the ref too for playing the advantage.

Spot on, when I saw that ball played back I was thinking "here we go again", as one of the parts of our play that niggles me (regardless of how results have been going) is our carelessness with the ball in dangerous positions.  Vyner did brilliantly to do get to the ball first and set up COD and great advantage, as you say, played by the ref.  And then we push on and pick Cardiff's pocket? (I think NH has to learn that failing to score, after continually pumping balls into the box from angles that are easy to defend, is not down to bad luck!)

14 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Spot on, when I saw that ball played back I was thinking "here we go again", as one of the parts of our play that niggles me (regardless of how results have been going) is our carelessness with the ball in dangerous positions.  Vyner did brilliantly to do get to the ball first and set up COD and great advantage, as you say, played by the ref.  And then we push on and pick Cardiff's pocket? (I think NH has to learn that failing to score, after continually pumping balls into the box from angles that are easy to defend, is not down to bad luck!)

Wilson on the right cutting in on his left...tightening the angle.

Hoilett on the left cutting in on his right...tightening the angle.

As a fan it looks threatening, but as a central defender, you are 1) facing the play 2) can see your marker too it’s easier than a ball from the side, possibly swinging away from you, where you are exposed to a run in front of you or a peel off the back of you.

Eliasson got loads of oohs and aahs from the right wing, but the number of times it hit its target was low percentage.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So what you’re saying is that Pack tracked 3 separate men in that move and covered one side of the pitch to the other, whilst the rest of Cardiff’s midfield covered no one. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

So what you’re saying is that Pack tracked 3 separate men in that move and covered one side of the pitch to the other, whilst the rest of Cardiff’s midfield covered no one. 

And / Or.....

.....never got back into shape to give any structure to the defence?  My post wasn’t a criticism of Pack per se, but of Cardiff’s 4 or 5 man midfield being looser as a unit than any Cardiff team I’ve seen in recent years.

He can rightly be angry with his fellow midfielders too.  Poor defensive goal and shows why Cardiff are having tougher times this season.  My preview focussed on how often you see Cardiff’s midfielders running back towards goal having over-committed positionally.

I wasn’t expecting that to happen 1m42s into the game.

Great play by City and poor by Cardiff.

Possibly highlights Bacuna’s lack of understanding of playing Right-Back too.

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t see why they signed Wilson . The football they play is largely , lump it into the mixer . He would of suited Swansea or Brentford more than them . Same reason I thought Colin signing Bobby a strange choice . 

I agree, I am just saying with some of the players they have or had they could certainly do better style wise.

There was a bit more variety for them in PL tbh in some games- Reid, Camarasa, Arter- all can play and take care of the ball in varied ways- under the right manager of course. I remember posting at the time that Camarasa behind Reid, 4-4-1-1- certainly late in the season when they had little to lose and really needed to go for wins. Arter and Ralls or Bacuna as base, Murphy and someone- Hoillett maybe- wide areas? I'm glad they didn't of course, as maybe they'd have won one or two of the winnables they lost late on with a higher pressing approach.

Archived