IGNORED

Dasilva

Nathandao

I have to say. Jay is way too good for us. We are lucky he is so short as if he was 6 inches taller he would be playing in the top half of the prem by now. Whenever he picks up the ball, by his third touch he seems to have always taken 2 players out of the equation. Strong defensively and I think in this team he must make the most ground with the ball at his feet than any other of our players. I think I’d go as far as to say he’s the best player we have and I hope we have him for many years to come.

Love the attacking aspects of his play and the speed he can bring a ball forward but I'm not quite so impressed as the OP with the defensive side of his game, does get caught upfield too often for me, not the strongest tackler and often fails to stop crosses coming in. Solid player though and I think City look better as a team when he plays.

50 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I have to say. Jay is way too good for us. We are lucky he is so short as if he was 6 inches taller he would be playing in the top half of the prem by now. Whenever he picks up the ball, by his third touch he seems to have always taken 2 players out of the equation. Strong defensively and I think in this team he must make the most ground with the ball at his feet than any other of our players. I think I’d go as far as to say he’s the best player we have and I hope we have him for many years to come.

If he was six inches taller perhaps he wouldn’t be as good. Have you thought of that ? 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can see why LJ thought he could become a central midfielder. First touch is superb, well the 2nd one too! Ball sticks to him.

He is a great out ball when under pressure as he can calm everything down with his composure and technique.

I liked his link up play with Pato at times last night. I think back to Dasilva, Walsh and Pato in the 2nd half against Stoke 2 seasons ago, where the ball was sticking to each of them as they pinged it to each other on the left side of the pitch.

I always thought Joe Bryan would make a better central midfielder than LWB 

39 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

Gilmartin was raving about him saying on commentary v Huddersfield he seems to see everything in slo motion, so much time to play, good example picking out Paterson in a crowded penalty area for his goal.

Love seeing him running with the ball and such quick feet when in tight situations.

Two simple things....technique and head-up.  He trusts his technique so much he can receive the ball whilst looking at what he’s gonna do next.

When I watch players it’s one of the first things I look for...can they play with their head-up.

Not meant to be a criticism of COD (who is improving), but it is a differentiator to explain the point....and why he often has to stop to make the pass, because he he has run / dribbled with his head down, because he’s checking control of the ball.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Two simple things....technique and head-up.  He trusts his technique so much he can receive the ball whilst looking at what he’s gonna do next.

When I watch players it’s one of the first things I look for...can they play with their head-up.

Not meant to be a criticism of COD (who is improving), but it is a differentiator to explain the point....and why he often has to stop to make the pass, because he he has run / dribbled with his head down, because he’s checking control of the ball.

Not only technique, but his body positioning and balance is superb. He defends the ball with that positioning...he very rarely gets tackled because of it. More often than not draws a free kick instead. Opposition have to go through him to get to the ball.

Archived