IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

Numero Uno

Having just watched the MOTD highlights of this game, the penalty should never of been given anyway, Cairney has the slightest of touches on his boot (which he was looking for) but it isn’t a foul & he goes down like someone’s taken a full swing at him. You get more contact when out shopping! The ref was correct to not give the foul but once again VAR has helped to ruin the game!

It’s lucky captains aren’t allowed to shake hands now because at this rate one is going to hit the deck claiming assault & someone’s going to get sent off before the games even started!

It used to be a contact sport, now there is more contact in snooker & darts ffs!!

10 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally disagree

as I said in the Wells penalty thread

If as a pro at these levels , you can’t pick out a corner / side netting with pace , you shouldn’t be on penalties 

The best penalty takers in the World don’t **** about with smart arse panenkas

Personally I agree that hitting the corner with pace is the best option. But many pros fail to do that week after week. Going down the middle is increasingly popular and often works. The panenka isn’t arrogant or stupid - it’s obviously designed to throw out the keeper’s timing. It’s difficult and perhaps a youngster shouldn’t try it in those circumstances - but it is not by definition arrogant or disrespectful.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Personally I agree that hitting the corner with pace is the best option. But many pros fail to do that week after week. Going down the middle is increasingly popular and often works. The panenka isn’t arrogant or stupid - it’s obviously designed to throw out the keeper’s timing. It’s difficult and perhaps a youngster shouldn’t try it in those circumstances - but it is not by definition arrogant or disrespectful.

How anybody can think taking a penalty like that isn't arrogant is beyond me.

Like Wells he would never get near a penalty ever again if i was the manager.

There are players in sides that i played in that would have chinned him for sure.

It's a matter of lack of common sense to me. If a player wants to look like Billy bighead , then surely common sense would say that if your team is 3-0 / 4-0 up then that's probably the best time . When your team has a chance of getting a win or draw then common sense should tell you that the Team comes first and that's not the time to try to look clever. 

If I was a manager, I’d be threatening anyone that wants do anything other than run up & it the ball properly with being fined if they missed!

These fairy step run ups & walking to the ball & then chipping it anywhere!! Not on my bloody watch!! You miss, you’re fined!

Run & Julian Dicks it, if you miss then, then fair enough but not buy faffing about!!

And I expect any pro that has stood there & watched their team mate balls it up in such a way feels the same! If the players smacked it hasn’t scored, they’ll take it a whole lot better than a Lookman / Jorginho / Wells / Pogba / Lyle Taylor type penalty miss.

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

If I was a manager, I’d be threatening anyone that wants do anything other than run up & it the ball properly with being fined if they missed!

These fairy step run ups & walking to the ball & then chipping it anywhere!! Not on my bloody watch!! You miss, you’re fined!

Run & Julian Dicks it, if you miss then, then fair enough but not buy faffing about!!

And I expect any pro that has stood there & watched their team mate balls it up in such a way feels the same! If the players smacked it hasn’t scored, they’ll take it a whole lot better than a Lookman / Jorginho / Wells / Pogba / Lyle Taylor type penalty miss.

Interesting you say that because the ex-pro in my sons team was saying in their group chat that he would have had Lookman up against the dressing room wall afterwards.........

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting you say that because the ex-pro in my sons team was saying in their group chat that he would have had Lookman up against the dressing room wall afterwards.........

That’s probably why he was looking so scared after the game, trouble is, that probably isn’t allowed to be done now!

It would certainly teach him not to do it again though & if it didn’t teach him then he’s clearly stupid!

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Listen to the Ex pros on radio today , spitting blood , saying it’s all about players trying to make it all about themselves, stating they would ban players trying panenkas , Andy Cole saying should be fined two weeks wages........

Not one ive heard has tried in anyway try to justify it or defend it , yet some on here do .....

Bizarre

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Lineker got shown on MOTD last night trying one for England & the keeper easily saving it, it only cost him tying for England’s record goalscorer so nothing major hey!

It’s a technically difficult technique as a normal run up and feint to kick with power has to be followed by a rapid deceleration of the foot to deceive the keeper and execute the soft chip

Far more technically difficult that hitting the ball with the instep.

If you believe the keeper always moves early, either waiting for him to go and going the opposite side is much safer and easier to execute , or even a side foot ‘pass’ mid net and straight down the middle is statistically a successful method

Or you can try and be a showboater and try the hardest of all the techniques ........

I maintain it’s a method that should be kept for those with the very best technique and the biggest egos, and never a Bristol City Player, or England player thanks 

15 hours ago, highlandcityfan said:

Wtf did I just watch? 

What angers me so much, just as Nahki's did - is the lack of professionalism. 

There's nonchalance, and then there's arrogance and contempt (for your team, management and fans) 

If you miss a pen, you miss a pen, it's a high pressure moment. 

But this kind of nonsense makes you look like you don't give a damn. 

TBH if you saw the shots just before he took this, more than arrogance it was he was frightened to death. He looked terrified, licked his dry lips. Knew how much depended on it.

Remember, Mitrovic, their usual penalty taker wasn't given this one and Lookman wouldn't have been expecting it. I don't think it was even an attempt at a Panenka. I think he just miskicked it totally. 

Penalties are easy. I was a defender who could score jack shit from open play, but I used to take them for one of the sides I played for.

The only way you'll f- 'em up is through sheer nerves. 

Playing in a Sunday league it was easy to relax. I'd get a bit of stick in the pub if I missed one which, to be fair, I never did. Trying to keep your team out of the PL relegation zone is a bit more pressure, I'd expect. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think with the spin it had on it it would’ve made it over the line?  

I'd say so. Someone posted the video on page 1. Looks like it would probably bounce over the line to me. So you'd have to say its better then Wells'. 

3 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Well 

So how does De Bruyne's miss this afternoon compare?

Worse (depending on how you look at it!) 

An off target penalty has a 0% chance of scoring. Lookman's could in theory have gone in, slightly more than 0.

Obviously that's talking absolutes, and as a manager I would be more annoyed at Lookman for trying that than De Bruyne for a perfectly normal attempt that missed. 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH if you saw the shots just before he took this, more than arrogance it was he was frightened to death. He looked terrified, licked his dry lips. Knew how much depended on it.

Remember, Mitrovic, their usual penalty taker wasn't given this one and Lookman wouldn't have been expecting it. I don't think it was even an attempt at a Panenka. I think he just miskicked it totally. 

Penalties are easy. I was a defender who could score jack shit from open play, but I used to take them for one of the sides I played for.

The only way you'll f- 'em up is through sheer nerves. 

Playing in a Sunday league it was easy to relax. I'd get a bit of stick in the pub if I missed one which, to be fair, I never did. Trying to keep your team out of the PL relegation zone is a bit more pressure, I'd expect. 

Ahhh, is that right? I didn't see that tbh, and if his nerves really were shot to pieces then maybe I was a bit harsh. 

I think I was probably putting some of my Nahki frustration onto Lookman! Nerves aside though, surely there's two rules to taking a penalty if you're on edge, 1) get it on target, 2) put your boot right through the ball - hard!  

I would suggest that the gaffer / captain could have not put him in that position if he was going to be such a bag of nerves?! Or at the very least the captain / a senior player could have given him a few words of advice / support prior to taking it

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

don't think it was even an attempt at a Panenka. I think he just miskicked it totally. 

It was a Panenka attempt, clearly. He's also said so himself. 

However I agree with you totally that the reason he messed it up so badly was that he was absolutely bricking it stepping up! 

Archived