IGNORED

England v Iceland game in doubt?

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Iceland are playing in Denmark next Sunday in a nations league game, although the Mail on Sunday states its a friendly.

Current travel restrictions do not allow any one coming from Denmark, to enter the  U.K.

After the last international break, players from all the divisions travelled back from all over the world, including our players. 

They didn't have to isolate. There is an agreed exemption.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-cross-border-competition-guidance

• Admin
3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Iceland are playing in Denmark next Sunday in a nations league game, although the Mail on Sunday states its a friendly.

Current travel restrictions do not allow any one coming from Denmark, to enter the  U.K.

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Elite sport exemption again surely? 

Correct, not an issue 

3 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

After the last international break, players from all the divisions travelled back from all over the world, including our players. 

They didn't have to isolate. There is an agreed exemption.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-cross-border-competition-guidance

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Correct, not an issue 

The BBC are reporting that based on the recent FCDO statement ('Unlike other travel to the UK, there will be no exemptions to this quarantine policy'), the 'elite sport' exemption will not apply in this case, so until and unless there's an another announcement, it would appear to be an issue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54858614

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/travel-ban-implemented-to-protect-public-health-following-denmark-covid-19-mink-outbreak

Sadly this one is in doubt. This isn’t standard COVID, it’s a mutated strain that’s jumped from humans to mink, then back to humans. Basically this has altered it in a way that potentially makes any future treatments/vaccines less effective/ineffective. I’ve done some reading on it and the consensus seems to be not to worry too much, but I don’t like it. Hopefully I’m wrong and this is a sub-story that blows over soon.

58 minutes ago, frenchred said:

call them all off it's just a bore fest anyway with that fraud in charge. In days of travel restrictions, lockdowns etc is shipping players all over the globe really necessary for a meaningless bloody friendly 

Nations league also a way for world cup qualification so not meaningless

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

call them all off it's just a bore fest anyway with that fraud in charge. In days of travel restrictions, lockdowns etc is shipping players all over the globe really necessary for a meaningless bloody friendly 

its not a friendly

Non sport fans would probably say the same about doing this domestically

Just now, frenchred said:

my god,if we can’t qualify from a piss poor group we are in we should pack it in!

Not just us though is it, imagine England saying sorry we don't want to play your competition as we can qualify by other means, I'm sure that'll go down great with UEFA/FIFA. Also we net probably around £5m in prize money from the last nations league which can go towards projects from the FA.

Slightly unrelated, but I don’t understand why we’ve got 3 games planned for this international break. I think we played 3 in the last one as well? 
Fine, play the 2 Nations League games, but why have they arranged a friendly in each break as well, meaning 3 games in 7 days. 

Haven’t all the managers / clubs been complaining about the domestic fixture schedule and pleading for additional subs? How can they then go and arrange meaningless international friendlies!!  Seems bizarre to me. 

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

Slightly unrelated, but I don’t understand why we’ve got 3 games planned for this international break. I think we played 3 in the last one as well? 
Fine, play the 2 Nations League games, but why have they arranged a friendly in each break as well, meaning 3 games in 7 days. 

Haven’t all the managers / clubs been complaining about the domestic fixture schedule and pleading for additional subs? How can they then go and arrange meaningless international friendlies!!  Seems bizarre to me. 

It's to do with getting postponed friendly dates from March and June played so TV money is paid. 

He's announced 29 players. Bet none of them play in all 3 so in reality it won't make much difference except for very short recovery after the Iceland game before the next League games.

Ireland game is basically a B international as the Wales game last month was.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It's to do with getting postponed friendly dates from March and June played so TV money is paid. 

He's announced 29 players. Bet none of them play in all 3 so in reality it won't make much difference except for very short recovery after the Iceland game before the next League games.

Ireland game is basically a B international as the Wales game last month was.

All that considered, my question is still - what’s the point? 
And with so many Prem managers complaining about wanting more substitutes, it’s a bit hypocritical to then allow your players to play in a totally unimportant international friendly. 
Any manager who’s complained about lack of subs should automatically exclude their players from international friendlies. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Looks like England will now be forfeiting the game!

Which game are we forfeiting?

I've not seen anything about this?

28 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Why don’t they just play it in Cardiff or Swansea? No lockdown there anymore 

I hold my hands up, that when I made my previous reply I hadn't heard about the additional circumstances involved

This isn't a case of the "normal" corona virus, this is affected more by the potentially new strain appearing in the mink farms in Denmark

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

All that considered, my question is still - what’s the point? 
And with so many Prem managers complaining about wanting more substitutes, it’s a bit hypocritical to then allow your players to play in a totally unimportant international friendly. 
Any manager who’s complained about lack of subs should automatically exclude their players from international friendlies. 

They can't not allow them.

Bet there isn't a single Champions league player in the side v Ireland. Or if there is it will be Foden or Maitland-Niles who are playing every other game for their clubs at the most.

I've got no sympathy for the managers. 

They have huge squads. They just need to use them better.

41 minutes ago, The Bard said:

They can't not allow them.

Bet there isn't a single Champions league player in the side v Ireland. Or if there is it will be Foden or Maitland-Niles who are playing every other game for their clubs at the most.

I've got no sympathy for the managers. 

They have huge squads. They just need to use them better.

Yep. No sympathy from me either. 

Especially so when they complain about not having 5 subs and then don’t even use 3!! ?

Archived