IGNORED

Gary Monk Sacked : Tony Pulis confirmed as replacement

Silvio Dante

10 hours ago, bris red said:

Just having a read of Owl’s talk and none of them seem keen on LJ. One of them even points out that he is known to go on long losing streaks ?. Personally feel like it will be harder than he thinks for Johnson to get back into management at this level.

It must be at least 2 seasons since we had a long losing streak. I had a look at the last two and the most league games we lost in a row was 4 I think. We had longer streaks without winning admittedly, but generally I think those long streaks was something he had got a handle on.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It must be at least 2 seasons since we had a long losing streak. I had a look at the last two and the most league games we lost in a row was 4 I think. We had longer streaks without winning admittedly, but generally I think those long streaks was something he had got a handle on.

Here we go again, someone giving facts and spoiling a good legend.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think even in his worst steaks he was that much worse than expected. Teams that finished lower generally had similar or longer losing steaks. And teams that finished higher had shorter losing steaks. Exactly as you'd expect.

(Caveat: I did check the records, but it's at least a couple of years ago... I may be misremembering)

12 hours ago, bris red said:

Just having a read of Owl’s talk and none of them seem keen on LJ. One of them even points out that he is known to go on long losing streaks ?. Personally feel like it will be harder than he thinks for Johnson to get back into management at this level. 

‘Not keen’ is putting it lightly ? 

BE467718-2AA3-4315-8373-7ECDE2F958FD.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I don't think even in his worst steaks he was that much worse than expected. Teams that finished lower generally had similar or longer losing steaks. And teams that finished higher had shorter losing steaks. Exactly as you'd expect.

(Caveat: I did check the records, but it's at least a couple of years ago... I may be misremembering)

Well done....?

12 hours ago, bris red said:

To be fair, pretty much every manager put forward for us over the summer was decried as shit by at least some people on here. For example, much as I'd have liked us to have gone for Paul Cook, there were certainly a lot of detractors as well as those who supported the appointment. Ditto Gerrard, Alex Neill and even Hughton. The reality is Championship clubs don't have options for perfect managerial appointments who everyone will be happy with. 

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair, pretty much every manager put forward for us over the summer was decried as shit by at least some people on here. For example, much as I'd have liked us to have gone for Paul Cook, there were certainly a lot of detractors as well as those who supported the appointment. Ditto Gerrard, Alex Neill and even Hughton. The reality is Championship clubs don't have options for perfect managerial appointments who everyone will be happy with. 

....but fans of such a championship club, unhappy with that they don’t have options for the perfect managerial appointment, are always able to point to umpteen other championship clubs that do - even if those other clubs are performing less well than they are. 

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why? LJ has zero achievements on his CV and Wednesday is a very big club - I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole if I was them ...

Agree entirely, but from the outside his CV doesn't look too shabby: regular top-half Championship finishes with Bristol City, often flirting with the play-offs, League Cup semi-final...

4 minutes ago, Polly said:

Agree entirely, but from the outside his CV doesn't look too shabby: regular top-half Championship finishes with Bristol City, often flirting with the play-offs, League Cup semi-final...

All fair points - but football is a very insular business these days - most club owners/chairpersons would probably know that it’s quite a cushy number at Bristol City - Mr Lansdown is extremely tolerant and loyal - not many clubs would have continued to employ LJ after some of the horrendous runs we’ve been on under his leadership. If LJ was given a chance at a club like Watford, Leeds (when in the championship), Stoke etc, he wouldn’t have lasted five minutes. Can’t help thinking he’ll pop up again at Yeovil with Jamie Mac as his assistant ...

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All fair points - but football is a very insular business these days - most club owners/chairpersons would probably know that it’s quite a cushy number at Bristol City - Mr Lansdown is extremely tolerant and loyal - not many clubs would have continued to employ LJ after some of the horrendous runs we’ve been on under his leadership. If LJ was given a chance at a club like Watford, Leeds (when in the championship), Stoke etc, he wouldn’t have lasted five minutes. Can’t help thinking he’ll pop up again at Yeovil with Jamie Mac as his assistant ...

He’s better than Yeovil. Irrespective of whether you, or anyone, think LJ was given too much time here (and he probably was towards the end), he achieved what was stated in the prior post while turning a profit in the transfer market. Year on year championship improvement in position while operating within budget will be attractive to many owners - particularly within the current climate - at Championship level and certainly at a level above Yeovil

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'd like to see LJ get it, if only because it'll infuriate the people who've spent years telling us that he'll never get another job at this level.

Wouldn’t infuriate me to see him do well. Just could never take to him and I’m glad he’s gone.

23 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I’m sure this would please their fans:

If ever you wanted the definition of “out of the frying pan, into the fire” this would be it!

6 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Actually a fairly  minor reaction compared to some on OTIB when faced with Dean Holden as the  likely new Manager of BCFC. 

It’s also a minor reaction compared with Owlstalk reaction to the news that Pulis is leading the betting.

3 hours ago, Polly said:

stretching it a bit there

The facts are he finished 18th, 17th, 11th, and 8th.   He's managed 3 teams in 7 years and never got any of them into the play offs.

The context is also that he spent a considerable amount of money and his bang to buck  ratio is poor.  I doubt Sheffield Wednesday will be that impressed.

Archived