IGNORED

Gary Monk Sacked : Tony Pulis confirmed as replacement

Silvio Dante

I honestly can’t see LJ getting a shot at Championship level part way through a season .  If a vacancy arises it’ll be at an already struggling team and a losing streak will guarantee relegation . His streakiness will cause him a real issue and I can only see him joining a club at league 1 level during the close season to be honest . 

31 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I honestly can’t see LJ getting a shot at Championship level part way through a season .  If a vacancy arises it’ll be at an already struggling team and a losing streak will guarantee relegation . His streakiness will cause him a real issue and I can only see him joining a club at league 1 level during the close season to be honest . 

He’s saved a struggling championship team before - joining them part way through the season!

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I could see him getting a job with a newly promoted  yo-yo side who have a bad start, get rid of their manager and want someone to steady the ship. Rotherham, Charlton, Wigan someone like that.

I hope he gets the job.

Big club ✅

Good squad of players (inc Barry Bannan) ✅

I’m not sure from those two angles that he’d get better.  Everything else is a negative, e,g. Finances, owner, current league position, etc.

Think we get a good idea what he’s really like as a manager from a job like this.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - but at least he’d taken Swansea City to an 8th place finish in the premier league - a bit more pedigree than LJ, which isn’t hard to achieve ...

Not sure why the downer on LJ..? 

Yes it was time for a change, but he did a very decent job here, more than proved his championship abilities, loved the club and worked bloody hard doing everything he could. 

Not many managers have ever managed to keep us competitive at this level for a prolonged period.

He did. 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes it was time for a change, but he did a very decent job here, more than proved his championship abilities, loved the club and worked bloody hard doing everything he could. 

Not many managers have ever managed to keep us competitive at this level for a prolonged period.

He did. 

Yeah, on a shoestring too.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, but whilst having to sell his best players each season, and having to rebuild the team around that. 

Every team sells players, Real Madrid sold Ronaldo, Liverpool sold Suarez etc.

9 windows, £65 million spent, 70 players signed. He left an unbalanced squad, no discernible style of play, a disparate bag of clubs that didn't fit together, no development , once Steve Cotterill's team had been moved on we could see what Lee had and what Lee was about  ....... basically he had nothing.

4 wasted years.

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He’s better than Yeovil. Irrespective of whether you, or anyone, think LJ was given too much time here (and he probably was towards the end), he achieved what was stated in the prior post while turning a profit in the transfer market. Year on year championship improvement in position while operating within budget will be attractive to many owners - particularly within the current climate - at Championship level and certainly at a level above Yeovil

Totally respect your views SD - however, I don’t think LJ’s next job in football will be head coach at a progressive championship club - he was very lucky to have Mr Lansdown’s loyalty and tolerance behind him - if I’m wrong I’ll hold my hands up and apologise ...  

Pulis

Campbell....

Phil Neville.......

Jesus Wept ........ Like asking which limb you want sawn off with a rusty hacksaw......

LJ may be high on the candidate list if that’s the standard 

Actually think Cotts would galvanise them and do them ok , surprised he’s not taken a job , even lower down as there’s a danger he will become another forgotten manager 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

He did. 

Fair enough - your view - yet you ignored the part of my post that highlighted how Monk had taken Swansea City to an 8th place finish in the premier league in response to you ridiculing him - no Bristol City manager can match that record in the last 100 years ...

10 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Perhaps @Owl Visiting has an opinion to share?

I'd like Cook, but I'm not sure a lot of our fans would back him, some blame him for relegating Wigan, ludicrous in my opinion. 

I don't like Pearson really, but he's had some success. Was a great captain for us but could just become another former player from that era to have his legacy ruined, like Turner and Wilson.

Never been a Pulis fan but with the club in his current position and the type of players we have he might not be the worst choice. 

It's a definite no on Johnson and Campbell. 

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough - your view - yet you ignored the part of my post that highlighted how Monk had taken Swansea City to an 8th place finish in the premier league in response to you ridiculing him - no Bristol City manager can match that record in the last 100 years ...

And took Leeds to 7th in the Champ (under the old regime - Cellino)

10 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Every team sells players, Real Madrid sold Ronaldo, Liverpool sold Suarez etc.

9 windows, £65 million spent, 70 players signed. He left an unbalanced squad, no discernible style of play, a disparate bag of clubs that didn't fit together, no development , once Steve Cotterill's team had been moved on we could see what Lee had and what Lee was about  ....... basically he had nothing.

4 wasted years though is harsh, inaccurate and displays an anti LJ agenda which who'd never have changed. 

It seems many have forgotten that 4/5 competitive seasons in the Championship, historically, IS progress for us. Its not often we have maintained that status. 

That isn't "aiming low" it's Fact. 

I do believe he lost his way, a little bit like his dad did, in leaving the squad as you describe, yes. 

To say they were

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, but he didn't get them there or build the team. He inherited it all, then it bagan to go down hill. 

I think the fact that he's not been retained in any job for any sustained period of time suggests he's not the manerfial genius that you are crediting him to be. 

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, but he didn't get them there or build the team. He inherited it all, then it bagan to go down hill. 

I think the fact that he's not been retained in any job for any sustained period of time suggests he's not the manerfial genius that you are crediting him to be. 

I’m not suggesting Monk is a ‘manerfial’ genius, I just pointed out he has managed successfully in the premier league; it is very interesting given your pro LJ stance that you say Monk ‘inherited it all’ at Swansea and he ‘didn’t get them there’ - incredibly similar to when LJ strolled into Ashton Gate when Steve Cotterill had done all the hard work in quickly turning us from a boringly average League One outfit into a championship club after a momentous season which will never be forgotten ... LJ ‘inherited it all’ and he ‘didn’t get us there’ ... and while we were there, we plummeted from promising positions into frustration given LJ’s propensity for long, bleak, winless runs - and if you peek at his CV he hasn’t taken any club anywhere in reality 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not suggesting Monk is a ‘manerfial’ genius, I just pointed out he has managed successfully in the premier league; it is very interesting given your pro LJ stance that you say Monk ‘inherited it all’ at Swansea and he ‘didn’t get them there’ - incredibly similar to when LJ strolled into Ashton Gate when Steve Cotterill had done all the hard work in quickly turning us from a boringly average League One outfit into a championship club after a momentous season which will never be forgotten ... LJ ‘inherited it all’ and he ‘didn’t get us there’ ... and while we were there, we plummeted from promising positions into frustration given LJ’s propensity for long, bleak, winless runs - and if you peek at his CV he hasn’t taken any club anywhere in reality 

Steve Cotterill's league 1 campaign was momentous and will never be forgotten. Certainly one of my favourite teams and seasons in 30+ years supporting. 

However, it was in very real danger of heading straight back there and the turn around and subsequent progress under LJ seems to have escaped you, preffering to critise not achieving further progress, rather than acknowledging what he did do, in establishing us as a top half championship team, capable of threatening the play off places, without being able to breach them - hence why I agrred it was time for a change, but still appreciate the job he did whilst here. 

21 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Steve Cotterill's league 1 campaign was momentous and will never be forgotten. Certainly one of my favourite teams and seasons in 30+ years supporting. 

However, it was in very real danger of heading straight back there and the turn around and subsequent progress under LJ seems to have escaped you, preffering to critise not achieving further progress, rather than acknowledging what he did do, in establishing us as a top half championship team, capable of threatening the play off places, without being able to breach them - hence why I agrred it was time for a change, but still appreciate the job he did whilst here. 

All good points, but you seem to have forgotten the thrust of our conversation thus far - I simply said Garry Monk had achieved more than LJ because he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league. You said he inherited that squad and didn’t get them into the premier league and insinuated that it wasn’t much of an achievement because of that ... you clearly aren’t aware that he brought in 15 new players in the pre-season period before that season (2014/2015) and in the January window during that season - and those purchases included Lukasz Fabianski, Gomis, Emnes, Gylfi Sigursson, Dan James, Fernandez, Kyle Naughton, Jack Cork etc etc etc - it was Monk’s squad, and team, and he took Swansea City to an 8th placed finish in the premier league with a record points tally for the club and he was only 36 years old when he did it - a fantastic achievement in my opinion which makes him a better manager than LJ ...

Monk is an interesting one.

At Swansea he gained a strong finish with a lot of notable results- but at the expense of their style. Which is fine, but the next season they really regressed and started on a slippery slope, identity gone- variety of different managers, each with differing styles. Swansea lost their way badly and Monk was a part of that despite the excellence of the 8th place finish.

When he had the strong finish to the season as caretaker, it was with the squad he had- took over post deadline in January and took some of what was good about Laudrup's side and added some bits- not just Laudrup's side of course, players there from a variety of sources but none of them Monk's- he had a good side there who were very comfortable in possession and generally dominant in some games, dismantling it in the summer perhaps wasn't the best medium to long term move! They came 8th but at what cost? Laudrup had lost his way, but dismantling it and going to a possession 2nd approach worked in the short run very well but beyond then? Wasn't just Laudrup's identity of course, it was Swansea's. Since Martinez and possibly latter day Jackett, but they all had their own take on possession football- but it was possession football!

Good snippet- and this is from an article in 2015 very much in praise of him but was shipping out all this at once the best move?

Last summer saw large swathes of established quality gutted from his squad as international players like Pablo Hernandez, Michel Vorm, Michu, Jonathon De Guzman and Ben Davies all high tailed it whilst other senior cornerstones of Laudrup’s trophy winning outfit, Jose Canas and Chico Flores, also shipped out. Some of these names were certainly waved out of the door by the club following off field turbulence in the end, but it would be foolish not to admit a whole lot of footballing ability went with them.

If that was Monk's decision, it perhaps didn't serve Swansea well moving forward.

There were definitely good things that Monk did there but that mass shipping out, dunno about the quality of decision!

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Monk is an interesting one.

At Swansea he gained a strong finish with a lot of notable results- but at the expense of their style. Which is fine, but the next season they really regressed and started on a slippery slope, identity gone- variety of different managers, each with differing styles. Swansea lost their way badly and Monk was a part of that despite the excellence of the 8th place finish.

When he had the strong finish to the season as caretaker, it was with the squad he had- took over post deadline in January and took some of what was good about Laudrup's side and added some bits- not just Laudrup's side of course, players there from a variety of sources but none of them Monk's- he had a good side there who were very comfortable in possession and generally dominant in some games, dismantling it in the summer perhaps wasn't the best medium to long term move! They came 8th but at what cost? Laudrup had lost his way, but dismantling it and going to a possession 2nd approach worked in the short run very well but beyond then? Wasn't just Laudrup's identity of course, it was Swansea's. Since Martinez and possibly latter day Jackett, but they all had their own take on possession football- but it was possession football!

Good snippet- and this is from an article in 2015 very much in praise of him but was shipping out all this at once the best move?

If that was Monk's decision, it perhaps didn't serve Swansea well moving forward.

There were definitely good things that Monk did there but that mass shipping out, dunno about the quality of decision!

You won’t find many Swansea fans who have a good word to say about Monk. Allegedly stabbed Laudrup in the back whilst ‘getting into bed’ with the ex roofer chairman Jenkins. Monk was 100% to blame for the change in Swansea’s playing style and continued that style into several other jobs ( two banks of four make sure we don’t concede and try to nick a goal on the break).

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All good points, but you seem to have forgotten the thrust of our conversation thus far - I simply said Garry Monk had achieved more than LJ because he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league. You said he inherited that squad and didn’t get them into the premier league and insinuated that it wasn’t much of an achievement because of that ... you clearly aren’t aware that he brought in 15 new players in the pre-season period before that season (2014/2015) and in the January window during that season - and those purchases included Lukasz Fabianski, Gomis, Emnes, Gylfi Sigursson, Dan James, Fernandez, Kyle Naughton, Jack Cork etc etc etc - it was Monk’s squad, and team, and he took Swansea City to an 8th placed finish in the premier league with a record points tally for the club and he was only 36 years old when he did it - a fantastic achievement in my opinion which makes him a better manager than LJ ...

I. His time at Swansea, I'd have agreed fully. 

Since then he's not been retained for any significant period of time by any club he's been at and has done nothing to substantiate any claim that he's any better than LJ at all, imo. 

Sounds like Pulis for Hillsborough. Lj and JMc for Milfield but anyone on here who can still dislike Ljs 4yr record of top half finishes really better get real. There are very good clubs in this Championship probably all bar Wycombe have as much claim to top half as we do, all have as many 'signings and windowss (crap measurement BTW) as Lee had. Anyway Deano is our man for this season, MA will back him and we should try hard to love our club like 90%  of our fans do, even in these BCDs days. 

Imagine if Boris let us go to Xmas games what an atmosphere we'd have at BS3 - amazing

Archived