Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Gary Monk Sacked : Tony Pulis confirmed as replacement


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Weds is a great club that should have a top manager or a top potential manager, maybe with finances and issues behind the scenes Pulis is a more realistic and solid choice, bit like Warnock he'll steady the ship and make them hard to beat 

Hard to beat = very hard to watch!

When Pele described football as “the beautiful game”, he had clearly never seen a Pulis managed team in action. Pulis is the antidote to too much entertaining football...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 19:22, Moments of Pleasure said:

"You have it"

"No, you have it"

"No, no; we insist"

"We couldn't"

"We'll be offended"

"We're off home, then"

"Don't forget the ball!"

'To me to you, to me to you' - affectionately known as Chuckleball.

Commiserations to Weds fans.

Edited by BanburyRed
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

Weds is a great club that should have a top manager or a top potential manager, maybe with finances and issues behind the scenes Pulis is a more realistic and solid choice, bit like Warnock he'll steady the ship and make them hard to beat 

The love in with them on here, I do not get. Said it before but they're cheats- as you say finances and issues behind the scenes.

I hope the football is crap and I hope they go down.  Sadly though, I suspect Pulis will keep them up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course he did OK at Swansea. His record since might suggest than was the exception, rather than the rule, in his case. 

I'm not sure what you what you find so confusing. 

I wouldn't want him here. And if is was a Sheffield Wednesday fan, if it was between Monk and LJ, I'd probably be happy for it to be decided on the toss of a coin as much as anything. 

You said his achievements at Swansea were nothing and didn’t count, but now, when presented with facts, you admit he was successful with the Swans - and you say I’m confused ?! Your epic backtrack means there is no point prolonging this ... why can’t people just hold their hands up and admit when they get it wrong ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You said his achievements at Swansea were nothing and didn’t count, but now, when presented with facts, you admit he was successful with the Swans - and you say I’m confused ?! Your epic backtrack means there is no point prolonging this ... why can’t people just hold their hands up and admit when they get it wrong ...

Jeez... You are one ine aren't you..?! 

You started this by saying LJ's CV wouldn't attract Sheffield Wednesday. I queried that Monk's had. Despite no promotions or prolonged success anywhere. 

I don't really rate Monk. No club has kept him on for any prolonged period. 

His first season at Swansea looked impressive, showing some continuation from what he took over (as I recall it) after than they dipped, Swansea fans (in general) didn't seem impressed and he was replaced. 

He's not been kept on beyond a year (I don't think) anywhere since, other than Sheffield Wednesday who have now parted company with him. 

Is he any better than LJ...? Not sure, I'd probably question that. 

Is he any worse than LJ..? Not sure, I'd probably question that aswell. 

It's OK for 2 people to view things differently you know..! 

Let's agree to disagree. Kind of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to ask @BS4 on Tour... once again.

Do you think it was a good idea or a bad idea for Monk to let go who he did when he did? You listed who he signed but he lost quite a lot too...that's

Vorm, Flores, Davies, Canas, De Guzman, Hernandez and Pouzelo summer 2014. All gone. Style of Swansea's recent years, actually their philosophy going back to Martinez transformed into a more reductive one. 8th excellent, long term effects? Much harder to gauge! As @Geoff65 did say, style went and quite a lot of players who made that fairly easy style a goer went that same summer!

Edit: Michu too but he never was the same post injury.

Now the jury is out on the leaving. Some may have wanted to leave tbh, some others may have wanted to leave with Laudrup- or perhaps more accurately his agent who certainly played a part in their recruitment and to decent effect in their case I'd suggest. Then it could've been Monk pushing his stamp on it and letting go a lot of technical ability and experience just because. Could even be argued it's to his credit that he got 8th with such players out the door in one summer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

Suppose I might add, my obvious antipathy towards Pulis and Sheffield Wednesday aside.

He can sometimes mix it up a bit, at least with more goals. I note that in 2016/17, between September and March, West Brom scored 37 in 25 PL games- which is a fair amount for a Pulis side! Indeed, in those 25 games, they hit 2 or more goals on 11 occasions.

That statement by @xerox6060 though, no offence however I still can't understand it. Why do they deserve a great manager club out of the top flight 20 years, relegated twice from this League since, and here's hoping it's a third, managed in a shabby way off it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2020 at 22:11, Mr Popodopolous said:

The love in with them on here, I do not get. Said it before but they're cheats- as you say finances and issues behind the scenes.

I hope the football is crap and I hope they go down.  Sadly though, I suspect Pulis will keep them up.

Cheats?

What's odd about a club being 'sponsored' (sic) by a taxi company who don't actually operate any taxis?

Or, a club selling a stadium they, er, didn't own at the time?

Or, selling said stadium at a price, er, several times over the highest estimate any real estate analyst agreed to place on it?

Or, accounting for the whole value of the stadium proceeds as 'income received' when, er, they only received 1/8th and may never receive the remainder?

Lousy Pint was made for them and wholly disgraceful the way in which the EFL collaborated to reduce their deserved sanction.

 

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2020 at 23:30, Bar BS3 said:

Jeez... You are one ine aren't you..?! 

You started this by saying LJ's CV wouldn't attract Sheffield Wednesday. I queried that Monk's had. Despite no promotions or prolonged success anywhere. 

I don't really rate Monk. No club has kept him on for any prolonged period. 

His first season at Swansea looked impressive, showing some continuation from what he took over (as I recall it) after than they dipped, Swansea fans (in general) didn't seem impressed and he was replaced. 

He's not been kept on beyond a year (I don't think) anywhere since, other than Sheffield Wednesday who have now parted company with him. 

Is he any better than LJ...? Not sure, I'd probably question that. 

Is he any worse than LJ..? Not sure, I'd probably question that aswell. 

It's OK for 2 people to view things differently you know..! 

Let's agree to disagree. Kind of. 

I’m “one ine” ??! Apologies, but I haven’t got a clue what that means ... you talk about Monk’s first stint at the Swans  - that was when he saved them from relegation having taken over in February of that season - then he took them to their highest ever top tier finish the next season - you called that “looked impressive” - it was his team and his squad - he signed 15 players I believe in the pre season and January window during that season.

Swansea fans were obviously delighted with that season - the season that you said didn’t count because he’d inherited the squad and hadn’t promoted the Swans to the premier league.

And you say he hasn’t been “kept on beyond a year anywhere since...” - well you’re obviously not aware that he resigned from the Leeds United job after taking them to 7th in the championship - that wasn’t him ‘not being kept on’ - that was him walking away... and he was “kept on beyond a year” at both Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday ... but as you said, happy to agree to disagree ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m “one ine” ??! Apologies, but I haven’t got a clue what that means ... you talk about Monk’s first stint at the Swans  - that was when he saved them from relegation having taken over in February of that season - then he took them to their highest ever top tier finish the next season - you called that “looked impressive” - it was his team and his squad - he signed 15 players I believe in the pre season and January window during that season.

Swansea fans were obviously delighted with that season - the season that you said didn’t count because he’d inherited the squad and hadn’t promoted the Swans to the premier league.

And you say he hasn’t been “kept on beyond a year anywhere since...” - well you’re obviously not aware that he resigned from the Leeds United job after taking them to 7th in the championship - that wasn’t him ‘not being kept on’ - that was him walking away... and he was “kept on beyond a year” at both Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday ... but as you said, happy to agree to disagree ...

You wouldn't let it lie!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I said when he was appointed at Wednesday that I really can`t make my mind up over Monk. Is he a bright young up-and-coming English manager or just a wide boy stealing a living?

I used to wonder the same about Gary Rowett but he seems to be doing good things at Millwall now.

2/3 years ago I reckon a lot of us would have considered Monk if we'd had a vacancy at the time.

If he'd been available when we were looking this summer then I'm not so sure. Certainly don't recall his name being mentioned as one that people wanted.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

2/3 years ago I reckon a lot of us would have considered Monk if we'd had a vacancy at the time.

If he'd been available when we were looking this summer then I'm not so sure. Certainly don't recall his name being mentioned as one that people wanted.

Yep, I liked him for a while, but I’ve moved on too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 23:33, BTRFTG said:

Cheats?

What's odd about a club being 'sponsored' (sic) by a taxi company who don't actually operate any taxis?

Or, a club selling a stadium they, er, didn't own at the time?

Or, selling said stadium at a price, er, several times over the highest estimate any real estate analyst agreed to place on it?

Or, accounting for the whole value of the stadium proceeds as 'income received' when, er, they only received 1/8th and may never receive the remainder?

Lousy Pint was made for them and wholly disgraceful the way in which the EFL collaborated to reduce their deserved sanction.

 

Fantastic post! :clap:

Dunno about the last bit, about collaboration by EFL unless you know more about that bit of course, but that post by you nails it well and truly! Written reasons if they're published, will be instructive...

Valuation is an interesting one too, it was valued at DRC- Depreciated Replacement Cost- in 2014 at £22.25m or maybe there were some bits and bobs that took it to £24m- ha what land inflation in Sheffield, good grief!

Don't forget, was even in the wrong year- sold in as per the Land Registry June or July 2019 but put into the 2017/18 accounts to 31st July 2018! (Originally 31st May 2018 but they shifted the accounting period from May to July, ie that season 14 month instead of 12 months- presumably to try and fit in the Transaction).

Might also add, like Derby they have STILL not released their accounts- not for last season but for 2018/19!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 23:34, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m “one ine” ??! Apologies, but I haven’t got a clue what that means ... you talk about Monk’s first stint at the Swans  - that was when he saved them from relegation having taken over in February of that season - then he took them to their highest ever top tier finish the next season - you called that “looked impressive” - it was his team and his squad - he signed 15 players I believe in the pre season and January window during that season.

Swansea fans were obviously delighted with that season - the season that you said didn’t count because he’d inherited the squad and hadn’t promoted the Swans to the premier league.

And you say he hasn’t been “kept on beyond a year anywhere since...” - well you’re obviously not aware that he resigned from the Leeds United job after taking them to 7th in the championship - that wasn’t him ‘not being kept on’ - that was him walking away... and he was “kept on beyond a year” at both Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday ... but as you said, happy to agree to disagree ...

Sorry, the initial line was supposed to say "on one". Typo/fat fingers..! 

OK, yes, slightly over a year at those 2 clubs, so slightly inaccurate. Nothing beyond 1 full season season though. 

He's OK. I'd be indifferent if he were to ever take over here. 

Based on the high regard you hold him in, I'd say his managerial career has stagnated, at best. Been disappointing, at worst. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2020 at 08:02, Major Isewater said:

Was it Monk’s decision ? 
 

I don’t like the bloke and don’t rate him but I’m not sure that the manager always gets what he wants. 

That's fair. Never know I guess, did read somewhere that a lot signed with Laudrup or perhaps more accurately Laudrup and his agent- when Laudrup and I assume his agent went, perhaps a lot chose to follow?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...