IGNORED

Bellingham called up for England

alexukhc

• The title was changed to Bellingham called up for England

Jude Bellingham has been called up to the senior England squad for the first time.

The Borussia Dortmund midfielder, 17, was promoted from the Under-21s after Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold and Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse withdrew through injury.

He joined Dortmund in the summer from Birmingham and has made 11 appearances.

England play the Republic of Ireland, Belgium and Iceland between 12 and 18 November.

If Bellingham plays in any of those games he will become the third-youngest player to represent England - after Theo Walcott and Wayne Rooney.

Bellingham only made his Birmingham debut in August 2019 but finished the season with 44 first-team appearances before earning a move to Dortmund in a deal that could eventually be worth over £30m.

He received his first call-up to England U21s in August, becoming their youngest ever player when he came on against Kosovo on 4 September.

Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford will miss England's game against the Republic of Ireland as he will not report for duty until Thursday morning following an injury he suffered in Saturday's win at Everton.

After seeing Bellingham promoted from his squad, England U21 coach Aidy Boothroyd called up Everton pair Tom Davies and Ben Godfrey, although Norwich full-back Max Aarons has withdrawn for the games against Andorra and Albania on 13 and 17 November.

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

He's definitely worth a look. If Bamford's being mentioned then so should Watkins

I think they're still a few levels below the likes of Rashford, Sterling and Kane but young and hungry and something different

Not sure about young as such, Watkins is nearly 25 & Bamford is 27 when you already have Rashford (23) & Sterling (25) & when you consider that Sancho is also in the squad, they wouldn’t be considered one of the ‘youngsters’.

As for Bellingham being called up, I’m all for it, if he had moved to Dortmund & just sat in their reserves then no but he’s playing regularly for their first team against some of the best players in Europe & the World.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Not sure about young as such, Watkins is nearly 25 & Bamford is 27 when you already have Rashford (23) & Sterling (25) & when you consider that Sancho is also in the squad, they wouldn’t be considered one of the ‘youngsters’.

As for Bellingham being called up, I’m all for it, if he had moved to Dortmund & just sat in their reserves then no but he’s playing regularly for their first team against some of the best players in Europe & the World.

Sorry didn't mean Bamford is young, meant Bellingham and Watkins. Realise though that 24 isn't particularly young in football, think he seems younger due to only just breaking into the Prem

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Not sure about the whole “playing regularly against some of the best players in the world”. 

He’s only played 331 minutes at Dortmund so far. Only 30 of those minutes were against anything ‘elite’, v Bayern. 
The majority of his other minutes have come against distinctly mid-table opposition in Freiburg, Augsburg and Hoffenheim.

So, whilst he’s in their squad and getting minutes, he’s not yet doing it week in week out against top class opposition. 

With the Birmingham link, I equate this to a certain Grealish of rivals Villa. 
He’s only just managed to get a call up recently despite playing superbly for years. If Bellingham was to be picked ahead of Grealish, based on 30 minutes vs Munich, I’d be pretty peeved if I were a Villa fan. 

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not sure about the whole “playing regularly against some of the best players in the world”. 

He’s only played 331 minutes at Dortmund so far. Only 30 of those minutes were against anything ‘elite’, v Bayern. 
The majority of his other minutes have come against distinctly mid-table opposition in Freiburg, Augsburg and Hoffenheim.

So, whilst he’s in their squad and getting minutes, he’s not yet doing it week in week out against top class opposition. 

He’s only just managed to get a call up recently despite playing superbly for years. If Bellingham was to be picked ahead of Grealish, based on 30 minutes vs Munich, I’d be pretty peeved if I were a Villa fan. 

They’re always peeved. 

Any player who can change nationality (in this case residency) will be called up as soon as it's even remotely possible to justify it.

Can't risk someone going to him, "hey Jude (na na na na na na etc) why don't you play for a country that will support you and you might actually win something with? All you got to do, is not play for England, where people will slag you off and drag your private life through the tabloids?"

Fair play to Southgate for bringing him into the first team squad - I don't think he expects too much of him but it will be great for his development even if he doesn't get any minutes.

I'm sure Lloyd Kelly and Jay Dasilva have been called up to more senior age groups while at City more for the experience than anything. While I appreciate that wasn't the first team, I don't see a problem with doing the same at the top level.

@Northern Red

What are you confused about? I'll help you out.

Players who have the potential to be called up by other nations, often get called up earlier than they normally would, in order to stop them playing for someone else.

Declan Rice is a good example of this recently.

So that's why I don't think it's weird to call up Jude, before he's really deserving of a place in the squad. While obviously he needs a competitive fixture to totally remove that possibility, getting him involved will surely help.

Used to watch every international but over the last few years I’ve been less bothered.  Even if I missed a game I’d record it and avoid the score (remember the Likely Lads).  Haven’t done that in ages.  I digress.

Under Southgate it seems to be that the main route into the squad is via the u21s, even if somewhat delayed between end of u21 “career” and becoming a full international.  Are we seeing less “late bloomers” make the squad?  Are we missing out on some players as a result.  Calling up Ollie Watkins would feel like an exception to the rule.  Or am I just imagining things.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

@Northern Red

What are you confused about? I'll help you out.

Players who have the potential to be called up by other nations, often get called up earlier than they normally would, in order to stop them playing for someone else.

Declan Rice is a good example of this recently.

So that's why I don't think it's weird to call up Jude, before he's really deserving of a place in the squad. While obviously he needs a competitive fixture to totally remove that possibility, getting him involved will surely help.

Who else does Bellingham have the potential to be called up by?

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

Any player who can change nationality (in this case residency) will be called up as soon as it's even remotely possible to justify it.

Can't risk someone going to him, "hey Jude (na na na na na na etc) why don't you play for a country that will support you and you might actually win something with? All you got to do, is not play for England, where people will slag you off and drag your private life through the tabloids?"

Are you often drunk when you post?

• Admin
4 hours ago, Prinny said:

Any player who can change nationality will be called up as soon as it's even remotely possible to justify it.

I believe this is spot on, get him capped so he cannot play for another nation. 

Potentially England got fortunate Grealish didn't opt to play for Eire

57 minutes ago, !james said:

So call him up now just in case Germany call him up in 5 years? 

Yes, just get that rid of it as a potential issue.

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you often drunk when you post?

No, never, why?

Suggesting that we're removing the possibility of Bellingham switching nations as a reason to justify a potential too early call up isn't really an indication of intoxication.

Perhaps being unable to understand that is... dunno.

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

I believe this is spot on, get him capped so he cannot play for another nation. 

Potentially England got fortunate Grealish didn't opt to play for Eire

It’s not a similar situation. Grealish qualified already for Ireland. Bellingham is 5 years away from being eligible for Germany. As far as I know he qualifies for nobody else. 

Rather than any conspiracy theories , maybe, just maybe ,  it’s just a case that Southgate has been impressed by what he’s seen of a Bellingham already and wants to have an early look at him close up , and with , and amongst Full internationals 

His manager at Dortmund has expressed how impressed he is with Bellingham’s ability to learn and absorb and his tactical discipline at such a young age 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s not a similar situation. Grealish qualified already for Ireland. Bellingham is 5 years away from being eligible for Germany. As far as I know he qualifies for nobody else. 

I thought on Talksport earlier there were mentions of other Nationalities in his ancestry?

Nowadays you almost only have to go somewhere on holiday to qualify for them 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

So playing Champions League football, which Grealish, Watkins & Bamford (amongst others) aren’t doing & doesn’t count as playing against Europe / Worlds best?

Your standards are obviously way higher than mine then.

Archived