IGNORED

Bellingham called up for England

alexukhc

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Rather than any conspiracy theories , maybe, just maybe ,  it’s just a case that Southgate has been impressed by what he’s seen of a Bellingham already and wants to have an early look at him close up , and with , and amongst Full internationals 

His manager at Dortmund has expressed how impressed he is with Bellingham’s ability to learn and absorb and his tactical discipline at such a young age 

Yes, it's good. Southgate gets criticism for being quite conservative in his selections but this is a brave selection. I've never watched Bellingham in a full game, only highlights, so hopefully he gets some minutes.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes, it's good. Southgate gets criticism for being quite conservative in his selections but this is a brave selection. I've never watched Bellingham in a full game, only highlights, so hopefully he gets some minutes.

Likewise - I’ve only see Bellingham in bits 

A German Soccer Correspondent was saying on radio yesterday that he’s impressed and Dortmund are surprised how quickly he’s grabbed a first team spot and his tactical discipline and maturity

More so than Sancho this season who is struggling with form

Dortmund also have another 17 year old playing and in an interview the other day Haaland said it was important that ‘We bring the young players through’ .......that’s Haaland who is 20 , ? 

8 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

So playing Champions League football, which Grealish, Watkins & Bamford (amongst others) aren’t doing & doesn’t count as playing against Europe / Worlds best?

Your standards are obviously way higher than mine then.

He’s played 30 minutes against Bayern and 45 minutes against Lazio. 
He’s then had the equivalent of 3.5 games versus what we’d all agree is ‘lower-prem’ opposition. 
As I said, it’s not yet a body of work that says he’s playing “week in week out against the best players in the world”. 

I’m not trying to play down his achievements to date, I’m sure he will be a fantastic footballer, but he doesn’t yet have a body of work, at the top level, to warrant an England call up - in my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s played 30 minutes against Bayern and 45 minutes against Lazio. 
He’s then had the equivalent of 3.5 games versus what we’d all agree is ‘lower-prem’ opposition. 
As I said, it’s not yet a body of work that says he’s playing “week in week out against the best players in the world”. 

I’m not trying to play down his achievements to date, I’m sure he will be a fantastic footballer, but he doesn’t yet have a body of work, at the top level, to warrant an England call up - in my opinion. 

England have a history of calling up youngsters to give them the experience to ready them for the future before they were really doing anything in men’s football. Theo Walcott, Raheem Sterling, Jason Sancho, Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford & Callum Hudson-Odoi amongst others have all been called up & made senior appearances while still teenagers & having made around only 20 first team appearances, Bellingham played 40+ games for Birmingham, so double the experience of most of those other youngsters. 
He’s shown the maturity even while a 16 year-old & this is the ideal opportunity to bring him in through injuries & the current fixture schedule.

I have nothing but admiration for the lad & I don’t say that about many (if any) other footballers, he’s moved to a very good club & team to better himself & play first team football rather than taking the slightly easier option of staying in England & probably having to play U23’s football. That option would of left him struggling to progress & definitely wouldn’t of got him an England call-up.

10 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

England have a history of calling up youngsters to give them the experience to ready them for the future before they were really doing anything in men’s football. Theo Walcott, Raheem Sterling, Jason Sancho, Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford & Callum Hudson-Odoi amongst others have all been called up & made senior appearances while still teenagers & having made around only 20 first team appearances, Bellingham played 40+ games for Birmingham, so double the experience of most of those other youngsters. 
He’s shown the maturity even while a 16 year-old & this is the ideal opportunity to bring him in through injuries & the current fixture schedule.

I have nothing but admiration for the lad & I don’t say that about many (if any) other footballers, he’s moved to a very good club & team to better himself & play first team football rather than taking the slightly easier option of staying in England & probably having to play U23’s football. That option would of left him struggling to progress & definitely wouldn’t of got him an England call-up.

I’ve got nothing against the chap, just don’t think he’s got a body of work that screams “Senior England Call-Up” as yet. 

15 hours ago, Prinny said:

Yes, just get that rid of it as a potential issue.

No, never, why?

Suggesting that we're removing the possibility of Bellingham switching nations as a reason to justify a potential too early call up isn't really an indication of intoxication.

Perhaps being unable to understand that is... dunno.

No, I ask just because you have a fairly.. 'eccentric' posting style. 

On 10/11/2020 at 22:57, Prinny said:

Yes, just get that rid of it as a potential issue.

No, never, why?

Suggesting that we're removing the possibility of Bellingham switching nations as a reason to justify a potential too early call up isn't really an indication of intoxication.

Perhaps being unable to understand that is... dunno.

Hmmm....

Some people say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but, as Oscar Wilde said....

Dunno.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:20, Davefevs said:

Used to watch every international but over the last few years I’ve been less bothered.  Even if I missed a game I’d record it and avoid the score (remember the Likely Lads).  Haven’t done that in ages.  I digress.

Under Southgate it seems to be that the main route into the squad is via the u21s, even if somewhat delayed between end of u21 “career” and becoming a full international.  Are we seeing less “late bloomers” make the squad?  Are we missing out on some players as a result.  Calling up Ollie Watkins would feel like an exception to the rule.  Or am I just imagining things.

He’s called up Conor Coady and said he’s made him a ‘senior player’ already as he talks to other players continually during a game unlike most players these days. He’s called up Danny Ings as well recently so while he does definitely play more younger players than former managers I don’t think he’s adverse to playing a ‘late bloomer’

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

He’s called up Conor Coady and said he’s made him a ‘senior player’ already as he talks to other players continually during a game unlike most players these days. He’s called up Danny Ings as well recently so while he does definitely play more younger players than former managers I don’t think he’s adverse to playing a ‘late bloomer’

Yes, that’s why I said “less”.  I just think he goes to the current u21s too readily.  There are older players better equipped to come in if we are trying to win matches, some of whom have previously had age group international experience.

Ings actually was a transition from u21s to full squad back in 2015, injuries were one of the reasons he’s been excluded over the past few years.

Coady only played u20s though, so he is one of the few to “bloom late”.

Archived