IGNORED

Covid outbreak at City

CyderInACan

5 minutes ago, megansdad said:

odd given 5 staff tested positive last week. How did that happen if testing is not being done on a regular basis????

We now know that it’s not being done on a regular basis. Testing only if they have symptoms. Which is 5 days after they’ve already been contagious. 
Which I get the feeling is contrary to what most fans thought was happening. 
I don’t like this, I must say. I thought they were being tested weekly and that’s why they were allowed to play. 

So Gregor is saying that City regularly test the Women's squad but not the men's? 

He tweeted this yesterday

Following a round of COVID-19 testing Bristol City Women head coach Tanya Oxtoby has tested positive and begun a 10-day self-isolation period. Academy Manager Gary Probert has come into support the women’s coaching staff while Oxtoby is unable to attend matches. #BristolCity

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Guess they are still getting temperature checks and filling in forms each time they report for training / matches?

Temp checks etc. is what lower league teams have to do. Here in Manchester all officials and supporters have to be temp checked, all temps sent to the FA with contact details of players officials and supporters. Every training session players have to be checked and recorded and info sent away.

There is no difference to what the EFL compared to non league, non league is better for all on bench have to wear masks including subs. That doesn’t happen in the EFL.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

We now know that it’s not being done on a regular basis. Testing only if they have symptoms. Which is 5 days after they’ve already been contagious. 
Which I get the feeling is contrary to what most fans thought was happening. 
I don’t like this, I must say. I thought they were being tested weekly and that’s why they were allowed to play. 

I had a feeling it wasn't done on a regular basis but no evidence so I didn't post on it- I assumed like everyone else, that it was weekly but that said the EFL relaxed requirements a little while ago.

On 14/11/2020 at 16:37, Harry said:

Interestingly, and somewhat surprisingly, Gregor just confirmed on Twitter that testing no longer happens weekly. 

I thought that the reason ‘elite’ sport could continue was due to the testing regime they had in place. 
Apparently, this was changed at the start of the season and players are now only tested if they have symptoms. 

Maybe that blows my earlier theory away then, I was thinking the players will have all been tested at least 5 times since the infamous Lions visit. 
Seems that’s not the case and they’d have only got tested if they had a temperature or a cough. 

I’m somewhat astounded. I thought they were testing weekly?? Mmmmm.....not sure I’m happy with that. 

Arguably makes the pub visit even more reckless ?

In South Australia we have been free of community transmitted cases for 6 months & then the weekend we have a case where an elderly lady has tested positive, immediately contacts have been put in isolation so hopefully it can be halted. My point being that it's such a bastard of a virus that we have to take regular checks & change our thinking to beat it.

Stay safe everyone, I have remaining family back in the UK.

On 14/11/2020 at 19:10, Notbarrymanc said:

You, err, seem to be contradicting yourself there. :blink:

As a, presumably, responsible adult you really ought to know better. Infection spreads quickly, hence 50 million people having caught it. There’s no minimum time criteria, and there’s no loophole that will stop it getting you. Don’t make shit up because it suits you. 

Just recorded cases that tbh- WHO reckon about 10% of the world once all the asymptomatic are factored in/estimated. It's very contagious/infectious though, that's for sure.

On 14/11/2020 at 18:49, Harry said:

Exactly. What’s the difference in me playing football and City playing? 
My team aren’t being tested, but if any of us show symptoms then we isolate and get a test. 
Seems that’s exactly the same as what EFL clubs are doing. 
I thought they were allowed to play because they were undergoing regular testing. What bollox. 

Also what @wayne allisons tongues said.

This isn't directly linked to us, or City related but the key snippets from this article are- and it's all a bit obscure and niche as it's contained within an article about the specifics of West Ham v Hull positive tests, article dated 23rd September.

There is no requirement in the EFL for regular testing

The EFL’s decision to reduce testing from last season was made after 99 per cent of all tests conducted during the regular testing programme came back negative

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/football-news-coronavirus-efl-testing-carabao-cup-west-ham-covid-19-a4554171.html

Seemed to slip out, under the radar. That- or I wasn't paying attention. :laughcont:

Don't think the Football League have made it more stringent since? I do remember they used to post weekly figures on numbers of players and staff testing positive but not at all or barely this season?

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also what @wayne allisons tongues said.

This isn't directly linked to us, or City related but the key snippets from this article are- and it's all a bit obscure and niche as it's contained within an article about the specifics of West Ham v Hull positive tests, article dated 23rd September.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/football-news-coronavirus-efl-testing-carabao-cup-west-ham-covid-19-a4554171.html

Seemed to slip out, under the radar. That- or I wasn't paying attention. :laughcont:

Don't think the Football League have made it more stringent since? I do remember they used to post weekly figures on numbers of players and staff testing positive but not at all or barely this season?

It's weird because in the age of 'fine margins' and 'percentage gains', you'd think that avoiding Covid outbreaks in the squad would be a no-brainer and testing be a top priority. Anything less and you're leaving too much to chance, no?

At the very least align your testing protocols with the local rates of infection (including away day consideration).

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Few on Twitter saying postpone the Derby game.

Does anyone know the protocol for Covid outbreaks in the Football League?

Seems to vary wildly, some L1 sides (Accrington definitely) have been allowed to call games off, others made to play. Though in the case of Swindon the league changed its mind on the morning of the game & agreed to a postponement.

Think there is an enquiry into every postponement though with the possibility of points being deducted, so obviously worth avoiding if possible.

The tombola is going to be pretty low on numbers this week.

Hopefully, everyone is recovered and there is no 'long' covid.

But rather than throwing the game, I would rather the just played a load of kids on a no-regrets basis. Play whatever first teamers we can and then just pad the rest of the team with those well enough to turn out.

If we lose, we lose.

Obviously, it's a shame that the most talented of the youth are out getting league experience.

21 minutes ago, Henry said:

You reap what you sow. No way should the game be postponed. I’d imagine Derby will fight it all the way.

I hear what you're saying and yes if there was a postponement idea that would doubtless be fought tooth and nail...

...However if there is a way in which we could postpone without detriment to ourselves, it'd be great for us in terms of available players- and one in the eye for that club!!

Fair or foul, I don't really care- Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in this League, any setbacks a good thing.

Archived