IGNORED

Football Manager '21

Lrrr

Managed to pick up a couple of my regulars that I had in 20 for my first season in the Premier League, Thiago Almada & Augustin Almendra. Got Kaio Jorge in to play up front but couldn’t go with anyone but Wells for my first game after the season he’d just had & Wells hits a hat-trick in the first game of the season v Brentford (who won the playoffs) which we won 3-0.

Other notable signings I’ve managed to make were Danny Rose as Dasilva isn’t very highly rated at LB, Ahmedhodzic for CB & Yan Valery for RB as Hunt has gone on a free.

Managed a 1-1 draw in the 2nd game thanks to a very late penalty for us away to Sheffield Utd.

Thats as far as I’ve got so far & I guess it’s probably as good as it’ll get.

Managed to finish 2nd in my second season, beautiful way to get promoted as well, West Brom needed to win and for me to drop points in the evening game to stay in the hunt for second. West Brom were playing Rovers who were 23rd and needed a win to take it to the last day. Game finished 2-2 the only result that saw me promoted and Rovers relegated in the same game cheers Rovers ? the evening game was then against Cardiff already promoted to make it all the better which I won too.

Antoine finished with 25 goals for the season, hopefully will be able to step up. 

14 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Managed to finish 2nd in my second season, beautiful way to get promoted as well, West Brom needed to win and for me to drop points in the evening game to stay in the hunt for second. West Brom were playing Rovers who were 23rd and needed a win to take it to the last day. Game finished 2-2 the only result that saw me promoted and Rovers relegated in the same game cheers Rovers ? the evening game was then against Cardiff already promoted to make it all the better which I won too.

Antoine finished with 25 goals for the season, hopefully will be able to step up. 

And to add the icing on the cake after this 

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 14.54.37.png

I always start unemployed with the aim of becoming a World renowned manager and coming 'home' to the City and taking over them when they've had 30 years of rubbish.

Took over Skovde in Swedish 3rd division half way through the season, got into. the play offs and luckily the opposition had a lad sent off very early so got promoted. Then took them to 7th in the Elite First division spending £3,000 p/w on wages.  Then got offered an interview at Brommapojkarna. They are 'technically' the biggest football club in Europe (most amount of teams from youth up to mens adult - Brommapojkarna is the largest football club in Europe in terms of the number of active teams of all ages – in 2007 there were 247 teams and 3,000 players) and a very interesting team. In Swedish 2nd division with excellent youth facilities means I get half decent players through youth systems. Finished 4th in first season, currently joint top.

City came 2nd AI controlled in the first season, then relegated from the Prem straight away, then have just won the Championship as Champions to return. Quique Flores is manager.

On 11/11/2020 at 22:14, Lrrr said:

Anyone whose downloaded, what sort of transfers have you made if you're City and anyone you sold? As its a Beta version save I decided to sell Massengo when Arsenal came sniffing, almost £4m upfront with some add ons and Jack Hunt to Inter Miami for around 300,000, gave me some flexibility budget wise to bring in:

• Jacob Murphy - £1.9m (Newcastle)
  • Miiko Albornoz (LB) - Free (Free Agent formerly Hannover 96)
  • Alexander Tettey - Loan (Norwich)
  • Ben Johnson (RB) - Loan (West Ham)
  • Domingos Quina - Loan (Watford)
  • Richard Nartey - Free (Released by Chelsea)
  • Remarni Medford-Smith - Free (Released by Reading)

Downloaded yesterday and got £8 million upfront for HNM! Will check these players out. 

2 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Downloaded yesterday and got £8 million upfront for HNM! Will check these players out. 

Jacob Murphy was a big part of getting promoted for me, had Johnson on loan for a second season before signing him in the prem for £4m, Tettey was decent but as said Ben Pearson became available in Jan for £650,000 so got used less. I always forget to make loans I sign so that I can terminate the loan.

Is anyone going to get the Xbox version this year?

Not sure I fancy buying both & knowing I can play online with mates with party chat etc it's really appealing to me that it's out on console. 

Don't think I've played a FM since like 2013 though, so a lot of catching up to do!

If anyone wants to pick it up it’s cheap here - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/football-manager-2021-fm2021-3600119

I managed to win the league by 3 points in my first season without making any signings (couldn’t get any work permits after Brexit). I have managed to get a few decent players so far this summer so I’ll see how I get on!

Enjoying it so far, definitely a bit quicker than last years.

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

What is it about the game?

I don’t know, too many similarities to previous games? So just feels like the old thing.

Yes the tweaks that have been done are nicely done but it’s not enough. After getting promoted with City in my first season I probably got 5 games into season 2 & just got bored of the same old thing.

Even starting again as Leicester (who I have absolutely no affiliation to) has done any good & I’ve not even got a month into the first season with them & although I’m 2nd, there’s still nothing in it for me!

Maybe I just need to avoid the game for a while?

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t know, too many similarities to previous games? So just feels like the old thing.

Yes the tweaks that have been done are nicely done but it’s not enough. After getting promoted with City in my first season I probably got 5 games into season 2 & just got bored of the same old thing.

Even starting again as Leicester (who I have absolutely no affiliation to) has done any good & I’ve not even got a month into the first season with them & although I’m 2nd, there’s still nothing in it for me!

Maybe I just need to avoid the game for a while?

Yeah I find I go through periods of being really into it and not touching it. For me in addition to the engine changes and speed I'm a stats nerd so all the changes they've added for recruitment and team analysis etc is a really cool addition to me and the recruitment meetings.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah I find I go through periods of being really into it and not touching it. For me in addition to the engine changes and speed I'm a stats nerd so all the changes they've added for recruitment and team analysis etc is a really cool addition to me and the recruitment meetings.

Ah, maybe that’s it then, as long as a player has the right attributes for the right position, that’s good enough for me, all this xG stuff is a waste on me, it’s either a goal or it’s not, I don’t get anymore points if I have a bigger xG than another team etc.

Press conferences are left to my assistant manager & & training & scouting is left to the appropriate member of staff. I sign & sell the players & staff but that is about it now because all the team talks & press conferences are the same year on year. Whereas I used to do it all.

6 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m already losing enthusiasm for this years game.

I’ve even tried a different save but I’m still not enjoying it as much.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree and apologies if so, but feel like this is partly self inflicted.

Just from looking at a few of the players you signed in the top post on this page, Almada was a well known wonderkid on FM20, and the other two have been linked with clubs like Barca and Inter for a couple of years now.

If you're actively searching these wonderkids and getting them to sign for your clubs, then it's going to be fairly easy because you know the game rates them highly. They are almost guaranteed to be players who will be far too good for the Championship even at a young age.

I did this on one of the FMs a few seasons ago, where I signed Martin Odegaard and Kylian Mbappe (although this was before he was as well known as now) by filtering out certain attributes in the player search. Had City in Europe after 4 seasons. It wasn't a challenge at all.

I have been playing so that I cannot go searching for players, all signings have to be someone the scouts suggest, or a new coach suggests when they join.

Same for staff, I cannot use the staff search feature. If I want new scouts I have to place a job advert instead of just filtering out the ones with the best player judging ability.

In my beta save I started unemployed, no coaching badges same rules for transfers. Got the job at Stromgodset and ended up sacked at the end of the season. 

Same goes with formations, the squad I had at Stromgodset was really weak in wide areas, so I had been trying to use a 442 diamond, as it's what the squad was best suited to, but also tried to get them to play a particular way, and (had I not failed) would have tried to move the squad to a different formation that I personally prefer over time.

If there's a formation that you know is broken, don't use it. Try and get the team to play you would want your team to if you were a football manager.

I had been doing this in a save I had started a couple of months ago on FM20. Started unemployed, no badges etc. Went to Curzon Ashton who were 18th. Had them playing a 3-5-2 and went on a crazy run with just 3 defeats in over half the season. Lost in the playoffs before promotion in them the next year, had them top half of the National league after a quarter of the season then was offered the job at Wednesday where after 6 games I only managed 1 win.

If I wanted this to be easy I could go and sign Esposito, Pipi or Gravenberch and would likely be promoted easily first time.

As it is (only played my first league cup game) I've sold Massengo and made 1 free transfer and one 30k transfer for a young goalkeeper. Still waiting for scouts to find me a decent RWB, especially as Hunt wants to go to Brum. 

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree and apologies if so, but feel like this is partly self inflicted.

Just from looking at a few of the players you signed in the top post on this page, Almada was a well known wonderkid on FM20, and the other two have been linked with clubs like Barca and Inter for a couple of years now.

If you're actively searching these wonderkids and getting them to sign for your clubs, then it's going to be fairly easy because you know the game rates them highly. They are almost guaranteed to be players who will be far too good for the Championship even at a young age.

I did this on one of the FMs a few seasons ago, where I signed Martin Odegaard and Kylian Mbappe (although this was before he was as well known as now) by filtering out certain attributes in the player search. Had City in Europe after 4 seasons. It wasn't a challenge at all.

I have been playing so that I cannot go searching for players, all signings have to be someone the scouts suggest, or a new coach suggests when they join.

Same for staff, I cannot use the staff search feature. If I want new scouts I have to place a job advert instead of just filtering out the ones with the best player judging ability.

In my beta save I started unemployed, no coaching badges same rules for transfers. Got the job at Stromgodset and ended up sacked at the end of the season. 

Same goes with formations, the squad I had at Stromgodset was really weak in wide areas, so I had been trying to use a 442 diamond, as it's what the squad was best suited to, but also tried to get them to play a particular way, and (had I not failed) would have tried to move the squad to a different formation that I personally prefer over time.

If there's a formation that you know is broken, don't use it. Try and get the team to play you would want your team to if you were a football manager.

I had been doing this in a save I had started a couple of months ago on FM20. Started unemployed, no badges etc. Went to Curzon Ashton who were 18th. Had them playing a 3-5-2 and went on a crazy run with just 3 defeats in over half the season. Lost in the playoffs before promotion in them the next year, had them top half of the National league after a quarter of the season then was offered the job at Wednesday where after 6 games I only managed 1 win.

If I wanted this to be easy I could go and sign Esposito, Pipi or Gravenberch and would likely be promoted easily first time.

As it is (only played my first league cup game) I've sold Massengo and made 1 free transfer and one 30k transfer for a young goalkeeper. Still waiting for scouts to find me a decent RWB, especially as Hunt wants to go to Brum. 

But I signed no one in my first season, got promoted & then basically only signed youngsters for the future as that’s all I could really get in (no quality that is ready for now). So I’ve made nothing easy for myself.

As for making things easy for myself, I have never won the Premier League in any edition of this game, partly my fault I guess as I tend to get bored of saves after a few seasons but this time I’ve got about a season & a half in.

On 13/11/2020 at 16:17, Lrrr said:

If anyone has any screenshots of tables for the championship after 30 odd games I'm interested to see how its shaping up in other people's saves as well, for example do Cardiff/Derby struggle in other people's, Brentford/Forest as dominant etc

Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 16.17.27.png

image.thumb.png.c9525882bbdcc7574e2e7ffc0e225d5c.png

Playing 4-4-2 Diamond in most games, with Wells knocking in plenty. I'm using our current squad because I haven't made any significant signings.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But I signed no one in my first season, got promoted & then basically only signed youngsters for the future as that’s all I could really get in (no quality that is ready for now). So I’ve made nothing easy for myself.

As for making things easy for myself, I have never won the Premier League in any edition of this game, partly my fault I guess as I tend to get bored of saves after a few seasons but this time I’ve got about a season & a half in.

I was barking up the wrong tree then.

Like I said, was purely.based of a post where you had signed some known wonder kid. 

Could just be burnout, I know I get times where I dont touch the game for months. Not got particularly invested in a save yet this time.

Started to push on with my City save. Still not that far in, but solidly 5th after 8 games.

Signings made (under previous rules of found by scouts only)

El Khayati (CAM) Free

Thomas Eisfeld (CAM) 325k

Stefan Johansen (CM) 5.25m

Benjika Caciel (ST) 325k

Ashley Richards (RWB) Free

Mats Trige (GK) 3.3k

Outgoings 

Massengo 8m, potential of 9m plus sell on

Baker 300k

Hunt loaned out after throwing a tantrum and will be sold.

Caciel sent on loan after signing. 

Trige also loaned out.

Tommy Rowe not gone yet, but also will be going after a tantrum after I signed Johansen. 

Was only planning on signing one CAM, but Eisfeld was good value for his rating and El Khayati is a bit older on a shorter deal.

Johansen from Fulham was a no brainer with the Massengo money and in 6 games since joining he has scored 2 and got 2 assists.

Richards was also a forced signing. Sessegnon picking up an injury in my game before the transfer deadline. 

Lost in the League Cup 3rd round to Bournemouth, and just had my first league defeat of the season against... Bournemouth. 

Wells is on 5 goals from 8 games, Semenyo with 3 goals and 2 assists from 10 games including the cup. 

Have been playing with the 5-3-2 that Holden started the season with, and have had a really strong defensive record for 6 of the 8 games, the only outliers being a 3-3 against Forest, and a 3-1 defeat to Bournemouth. Only 2 goals conceded in the other 6 games.

Bakinson was wanted by Leicester, but I tied him down to a 4 year deal. He had tried to get a release fee put in but I negotiated it out. 

Semenyo got a 5 year deal but picked up a 6 week injury in his next game.

Archived