IGNORED

Andy Cole second book being published

Never to the dark side

• Admin

2183iMBcLjL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is a full account of Andy Cole's rise to football stardom. In his autobiography, he gives a full and frank account of his training at Lilleshall and his early years at Arsenal and Bristol City, as well as talking about the great names with whom he has worked--Alex Ferguson, Kevin Keegan, and Glenn Hoddle. Cole's professional career began in 1990 and has spanned a decade of incredible change. This book is not just a revealing account of an incredible career, it is also a fascinating examination of what it is to be a footballer in the 1990s.

41iNP2Sk1UL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

*INCLUDES A FOREWORD BY SIR ALEX FERGUSON* __________ 'I'm not sure whether life prepared me for football, or football prepared me for life.' Misconceptions have stalked Andy Cole like a hatchet-man defender determined to cut him down to size. Now, in his candid and inspirational autobiography, Cole finally puts his side of the story. In the world of modern-day football, Andy Cole's reserved demeanour, combined with belief in his own ability, was often interpreted as an attitude problem that overshadowed his natural aptitude for goalscoring. Throughout his glittering career, he scored 187 Premier League goals, won 5 Premier League titles and 1 Champions League trophy. Now, two decades on from United's historic Treble, he not only gives the inside track on Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Dwight Yorke and other members of that illustrious side, but also opens up about his fractious relationship with Teddy Sheringham and reveals the prejudices and preconceptions he had to contend with in his twenty years in the game. Compelling in its honesty and frankness, Fast Forward is the thought-provoking story of one man's determination to succeed and survive against all the odds.

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The first book had no more than a couple of pages or so about us from memory.

He admitted at the time that we were merely a stepping stone because Arsenal would not give him minutes. Apparently many people told him not to come and he said "I know what I'm doing"...........he wasn't wrong tbf. 

Incredible scoring record! 

Lots of what I've read really don't sum him up, having known him a little, while he was at City. 

He was actually quite a humble, friendly, nice guy. 

Always made me feel very known and welcome whenever I met up with him or bumped into him and when he came back for Andy Llewellyns testimonial against Swindon. 

11 year old me cried when I found out he was going to Newcastle! I met Kevin Keegan at a book signing at the Cheltenham Literature Festival a couple of years back, once I mentioned I was a City fan we started talking about Andy Cole, said he couldn’t believe we never inserted a sell on clause when he signed him. 
Without doubt the best striker City have had in my time.

He was interviewed (twice) on Radio 4 this morning. The first bit was about whatsisface getting sacked by the FA and was pretty predictable but the second was much more interesting - all about his illness and how he nearly died due to ignoring it, the depression that went with it and how he came very close to ending it all. A very frank and honest interview and you could really empathise with what he must have gone through.

Look after yourself Mr Cole - we won`t ever forget you that`s for sure.

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

11 year old me cried when I found out he was going to Newcastle! I met Kevin Keegan at a book signing at the Cheltenham Literature Festival a couple of years back, once I mentioned I was a City fan we started talking about Andy Cole, said he couldn’t believe we never inserted a sell on clause when he signed him. 
Without doubt the best striker City have had in my time.

Bob Taylor is easily my favourite ever City striker, but over the course of his career Cole was by far and away the best. 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Funnily enough I’ve just finished my first book. 
I might read another one soon.

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

Was it Mr Bump?

Oooh my turn for a guess.

Was it Spot The Dog? :whistle::laugh:

I was given this as a present yesterday, skipped to the chapter where he covers his time with us, he says how he loved his time here, how his career took off, said he was gutted that he never got to say a goodbye to the fans before he left! Started to read it from the start after that, looks like it’s going to be a very good read, he’s a very complex character.

Archived