IGNORED

England v CODs Republic

wendyredredrobin

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Grealish absolutely running the show

Callum needs to take a leaf out of Grealish’s book, take some players on and play with confidence. 

Seems to run, stop turn around and pass backwards. Like he does for us. He’s got it in his locker as we’ve seen it on rare occasions Eg his Norwich goal. 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Joy to watch this. 

Not sure why so many don't rate Mount. Such an intelligent player. Wonder if Southgate will stick with him in this deeper role, looks like it suits him.

In this sort of game against opposition who struggle to attack he suits that role. Against better teams who'll have more of the ball you'd want more solidity in there.

15 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

O dowda gone off didn't realise he was playing

1 minute ago, Taz said:

To be fair, although COD is a hot and cold player, Ireland have been so bad I could probably get in the team!!

It's really not the sort of game you can judge him on.

The first ten minutes, he was involved well, switched inside and was unlucky not to get on a near post cross. After that, it looked like all England and almost everything coming from the other flank, so it was difficult for him to get into the game from then on.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I find it amusing how so many people were falling over themselves when one of our loan fringe squad players represented Wales, and a long standing first team squad member starts against England for his country hardly anyone is commenting

Ireland are generally bloody awful to watch.  England aren’t much better usually either.

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Joy to watch this. 

Not sure why so many don't rate Mount. Such an intelligent player. Wonder if Southgate will stick with him in this deeper role, looks like it suits him.

Good player imho.  Can effect games at top level....which is what you want.

I think we play better with Winks....I really rate him in an England shirt (better for England than he is for Spurs imho).

Re Callum, got no ball to give him a chance to do anything.  Not his fault, but they piss about with at the back, then ping it long and lose it.  They got a couple of counter attacks with Horgan (is that his name?) but that was it.  No injury ??????

26 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Ireland are a shadow of the teams I’ve seen them have from the past  - absolutely terrible these days. 

Strange that this has completely coincided with the supply of English & Scottish born players they had in their glory days drying up, eh?

9 hours ago, Rob k said:

Ireland are a shadow of the teams I’ve seen them have from the past  - absolutely terrible these days. 

Their  coach is trying to get them used to a more possession based game. 

They looked ok to be fair but aren’t the same level as some of England’s individuals.

They lack a cutting edge which is almost always the problem for the minor nations. 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep Winks very good tonight. And had some great games for Spurs in the champions league in the past. A player that suits the continental game more than prem.

I also like Phillips, and Rice was superb against Belgium imo.

Henderson still key player for Liverpool. We are not so weak in midfield now.

Southgate seems to like Ward Prowse too. Big competition in that midfield, where we will only play 2 in this system. Not sure if Mount is seen as a midfielder in a 2, but it wouldn't surprise me if he can adapt to that role.

I reckon centre backs is the one position we need to sort out. I am not sure on Mings and Keane at the highest level, and even Maguire can look dodgy at times.

Coady used to the system more than most. Is he good enough, will have to see him more for England to judge. I don't get why Webster has not been in the squad, better than Mings imo. Webster I think suits how England want to play.

Walker as right centre back I do like as he looks real quality, but can he be trusted? A gamble but if we are on the front foot going at teams it might work.

I don’t think 3 at the back suit England but also don’t think southgate trusts his defence. 433- 4231 suits us with the amount of attacking options we have imo 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep Winks very good tonight. And had some great games for Spurs in the champions league in the past. A player that suits the continental game more than prem.

I also like Phillips, and Rice was superb against Belgium imo.

Henderson still key player for Liverpool. We are not so weak in midfield now.

Southgate seems to like Ward Prowse too. Big competition in that midfield, where we will only play 2 in this system. Not sure if Mount is seen as a midfielder in a 2, but it wouldn't surprise me if he can adapt to that role.

I reckon centre backs is the one position we need to sort out. I am not sure on Mings and Keane at the highest level, and even Maguire can look dodgy at times.

Coady used to the system more than most. Is he good enough, will have to see him more for England to judge. I don't get why Webster has not been in the squad, better than Mings imo. Webster I think suits how England want to play.

Walker as right centre back I do like as he looks real quality, but can he be trusted? A gamble but if we are on the front foot going at teams it might work.

I like Ward-Prowse. I'm a bit surprised he's still at Southampton. I could see him doing well for a team who are a bit better than them but not quite a traditional 'top 4' club - someone like Everton or Leicester. 

He's the sort of player I could see Liverpool looking at if Milner leaves although JWP probably would want first team football. Very intelligent player, excellent range of passing and good set pieces too.

Archived