IGNORED

Jamie Patterson. Scotland Qualification?

REDOXO

I noticed a few tweets between Scott Murray and Jamie Patterson regarding Scotland qualification for the Euros. 

Looking at their forward line I don’t see any reason that he couldn’t play himself in, on current form, if he does in fact qualify and is given a chance. 

Does anyone know if he qualifies and if he has ever been looked at?

17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I noticed a few tweets between Scott Murray and Jamie Patterson regarding Scotland qualification for the Euros. 

Looking at their forward line I don’t see any reason that he couldn’t play himself in, on current form, if he does in fact qualify and is given a chance. 

Does anyone know if he qualifies and if he has ever been looked at?

There’s a few that qualify for other home nations.  I think Paterson does for Scotland. Dasilva does for Wales and our own Joe Bryan does for Scotland as well I think although he’d be hard pressed to get in at left back!

O’Leary Ireland is the only other I can think of 

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

There’s a few that qualify for other home nations.  I think Paterson does for Scotland. Dasilva does for Wales and our own Joe Bryan does for Scotland as well I think although he’d be hard pressed to get in at left back!

O’Leary Ireland is the only other I can think of 

Didn't O’Leary get in a squad? Or is that my imagination?

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Didn't O’Leary get in a squad? Or is that my imagination?

Was on standby for one but understand the issue then was that he didn’t have an Irish passport at the time, which because of a massive spike in demand following Brexit now take a very long time to acquire.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was on standby for one but understand the issue then was that he didn’t have an Irish passport at the time, which because of a massive spike in demand following Brexit now take a very long time to acquire.

I live mainly abroad and last week got my brand spanking new black British passport in no time at all. Funny that. 

I wonder if Jack Grealish managed to get his British Passport quick after he decided he wasn’t Irish after all!!

43 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I live mainly abroad and last week got my brand spanking new black British passport in no time at all. Funny that. 

I wonder if Jack Grealish managed to get his British Passport quick after he decided he wasn’t Irish after all!!

Not really, they aren’t in demand the same way ones that give you access to free movement in Europe are.

A family member with eligibility for one enquired about getting one & it is a very lengthy process.

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is immediately eligible, requests from Northern Irish people of both religions have rocketed since the referendum.

33 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Play for Scotland?

I'd be happier if he played IN Scotland!

That might be a bit inconvenient for our joined top scorer and a player that has created more opportunities (according to McGregor) than any other player in our division....Scotland could use some of that even if some of us can’t. 

I find it extraordinary that any player born & bred in England, who has always felt English, would then, as an adult, accept the offer to play for another country just because they somehow qualify to.

One likely consequence being that one day they might be lining up against England.

I certainly wouldn't do it.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I find it extraordinary that any player born & bred in England, who has always felt English, would then, as an adult, accept the offer to play for another country just because they somehow qualify to.

One likely consequence being that one day they might be lining up against England.

I think that’s the key bit....and I agree.

But for another player they might’ve been brought up in say a traditional Irish or Welsh way and might’ve been their dream to play for their parents homeland for example.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree. However I don’t know how Patterson thinks about his nationality. Nevertheless we do know Joe Bryan made a comment about a Scotland call up pretty much saying he feels English.

Either way I’m not sure to what extent Ireland would have had a team at all, at some stages, without the qualification rules. I guess Callum and Max feel Irish.

If you have duel nationality I guess you can feel loyalty to a greater and lesser extent and then its up to you if the chance arises. 

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I agree. However I don’t know how Patterson thinks about his nationality. Nevertheless we do know Joe Bryan made a comment about a Scotland call up pretty much saying he feels English.

That's exactly what Joe said, he didn't even need to think about it.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I suppose it depends on your circumstances, a lot of the other UK nations  use Raheem Sterling as an example of someone who plays for England yet wasn’t born here.

He was born in Jamaica but moved here when he was 5, went to school here & has lived all his life here, so to me he’s definitely English.

If someone was born in England & did this entirely in reverse, so moved to Scotland at the age of 5, went to school & grew up there, I could understand how they would feel Scottish.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Hard to comment until you are in that position. Maybe if you play for a country you weren’t born in and excel it can help get a big money move.  Most players seem to do what you call extraordinary which makes me think if put in the same position most of us would do the same. 

Understand how people who don’t play football are puzzled by it though as on the face of it it does seem odd 

On 13/11/2020 at 20:53, GrahamC said:

Not really, they aren’t in demand the same way ones that give you access to free movement in Europe are.

A family member with eligibility for one enquired about getting one & it is a very lengthy process.

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is immediately eligible, requests from Northern Irish people of both religions have rocketed since the referendum.

At least until the end of the year that's incorrect in just about every sense. I should know as I was instrumental in seeing a massive uptake for Eire passports in Northern Ireland & The UK (the progamme I delivered massively hiked the cost of the UK passport.) Many 'Irish' retained dual nationality given there were other benefits (mainly in the EU,) that unofficially and illegally were afforded Irish over UK citizens.

Entitlement & eligibility criteria for passports are pretty much universal across most developed nations (that's why there are international standards.)

Of course an FA allowing you to play for a country has sweet FA to do with whether one is eligible or entitled to citizenship, but that's another tale.....

Outside The States 'jus soli' (citizenship by place of birth,) doesn't or hasn't existed in decades. Certainly doesn't apply in the EU.

I'll get my coat......

49 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

At least until the end of the year that's incorrect in just about every sense. I should know as I was instrumental in seeing a massive uptake for Eire passports in Northern Ireland & The UK (the progamme I delivered massively hiked the cost of the UK passport.) Many 'Irish' retained dual nationality given there were other benefits (mainly in the EU,) that unofficially and illegally were afforded Irish over UK citizens.

Entitlement & eligibility criteria for passports are pretty much universal across most developed nations (that's why there are international standards.)

Of course an FA allowing you to play for a country has sweet FA to do with whether one is eligible or entitled to citizenship, but that's another tale.....

Outside The States 'jus soli' (citizenship by place of birth,) doesn't or hasn't existed in decades. Certainly doesn't apply in the EU.

I'll get my coat......

If you are in Britain & you want an Irish passport then you need to obtain all of the relevant documentation to prove lineage to the Irish state.

In the case I am talking about this involved getting a long deceased grandparent’s Northern Irish birth certificate, (born prior to partition) then the corresponding ones for their child (the parent of the person involved) who is now themselves deceased, so their death certificate as well.

Once you have provided all of that documentation you have to then register your own birth as that of an Irish citizen abroad, there was a six month waiting list for that part to be processed in Dublin at the time.

Only when you have done all of this can you apply for an Irish passport & with it get the advantages Brexit will remove from the likes of me.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the process you are describing but the person in my case was not a citizen of Northern Ireland, so trust me, the process was fairly tortuous.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If you are in Britain & you want an Irish passport then you need to obtain all of the relevant documentation to prove lineage to the Irish state.

In the case I am talking about this involved getting a long deceased grandparent’s Northern Irish birth certificate, (born prior to partition) then the corresponding ones for their child (the parent of the person involved) who is now themselves deceased, so their death certificate as well.

Once you have provided all of that documentation you have to then register your own birth as that of an Irish citizen abroad, there was a six month waiting list for that part to be processed in Dublin at the time.

Only when you have done all of this can you apply for an Irish passport & with it get the advantages Brexit will remove from the likes of me.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the process you are describing but the person in my case was not a citizen of Northern Ireland, so trust me, the process was fairly tortuous.

'Jus Sanguinis', same as everywhere else and different from what you wrote re 'anyone born in island of Ireland being immediately eligible' - they aren't. Irish rules mirror those in the UK and other developed states, save in the case of the likes of Tony Cascarino where, for convenience and to save face, they 'gave' him citizenship.

The Irish process is no more tortuous than anywhere else, though underpins the other comments made as to who is and isn't, a citizen.  The rules are fairly straightforward, impartial, though hated by those who for their own benefit choise to selectively interpret them.

In the case you quote somebody has gone to an awful lot of effort for, well, I'm not quite sure what? The delay and troubles resultant from creating a record entirely for the purposes of The Irish State, now't to do with The UK.

For avoidance of doubt (and I'm no Brexiteer,) the POTENTIAL changes to the rights of UK passport holders in respect of EU travel are everything to do with the French and nobody else. Given the Germans have told the French to reign their necks in I suggest we watch that space.

On 15/11/2020 at 18:07, And Its Smith said:

Hard to comment until you are in that position. Maybe if you play for a country you weren’t born in and excel it can help get a big money move.  Most players seem to do what you call extraordinary which makes me think if put in the same position most of us would do the same. 

Understand how people who don’t play football are puzzled by it though as on the face of it it does seem odd 

And is every reason why Jason Roberts is, and will forever be, a total scumbag.

Nothing to do the club he went to play for.  Everything to do with the fact he's an utterly untrustworthy, unreliable individual whose word and commitment are worthless.

That's why he should never be trusted in management.

Yes, all these years on, I remain very, very bitter. 

On 15/11/2020 at 14:51, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was born in England, and I have always felt English. However, if I was offered the opportunity to represent Wales (and had no chance of representing England) I would certainly accept, as I have Welsh grandparents who, if they were still around, would no doubt be immensely proud of me.

Archived